Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #46
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
I posted this in the wrong thread *sigh* and can't figure out how to delete the other copy. Sorry for anyone reading the other thread I originally posted in who sees this twice.

I don't mind the changes too much, though the keyboard no longer gives you punctuation options when you hit the space bar And the two stage shut-down process is a tad annoying too. Hope these get changed at some point, but OTOH, these are most definitely FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!!

eTess
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #47
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Quite likely no one did, at least not on systems that had been in regular use (would not surprise me to learn that they do indeed make the mistake of only testing on "clean", freshly reset systems) like most end users' would be.
Yeah well, we would get fired for that where I work😄
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #48
JKS
JKS began at the beginning.

Careless New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
I don't mind the changes too much, though the keyboard no longer gives you punctuation options when you hit the space bar And the two stage shut-down process is a tad annoying too. Hope these get changed at some point, but OTOH, these are most definitely FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!!

eTess
Yes, definitely first world problems, but indicative of a greater and more worrisome malady: carelessness.

There has also been an update of the library interface on the Kobo, Overdrive, that has essentially made the search function useless. They went back from college to kindergarten, and you have to ask, has no one tested this?
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS View Post
Yes, definitely first world problems, but indicative of a greater and more worrisome malady: carelessness.

There has also been an update of the library interface on the Kobo, Overdrive, that has essentially made the search function useless. They went back from college to kindergarten, and you have to ask, has no one tested this?
Mistakes happen. Things get overlooked.

And, yes, I know about the update to the OverDrive interface. I teach ebook workshops at the library (I'm a library technician). That is not Kobo's fault - that is all OverDrive. And I don't find it useless, just different and somewhat slow. Advanced Search will still work.
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
They have been promising JB from before the tablet was released. What they released is basicaly a stock android phone upgrade with their own launcher. Its not like they started from scratch. They've had the benefit of seeing plenty of other releases on other tablets. JB has been out for months these mistakes shouldn't happen.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #51
breid51
breid51 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
They have been promising JB from before the tablet was released. What they released is basicaly a stock android phone upgrade with their own launcher. Its not like they started from scratch. They've had the benefit of seeing plenty of other releases on other tablets. JB has been out for months these mistakes shouldn't happen.
Stevo - please see this article http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/0...hits-problems/ before complaining that Kobo "have had the benefit of seeing plenty of other releases on other tablets"!!
breid51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #52
Rillithain
Rillithain began at the beginning.

I registered to the forum so I could voice my complaints of this update!

Let us move the clock back to where it was. The black bar is already there - why move something off of it and use up more of the available room. I loved how the notifications worked and hated how it functions on my phone. Now both of my devices do that small black bar that I have to try multiple times to drag down to read. And, I no longer have access to the clock while I'm reading the kobo application on my kobo arc. My wife has a kobo arc as well, and unfortunately I wasn't able to tell her fast enough not to update - too late.

Please provide a fix for this, or give us a roll back option (without a factory reset). I do not like this update at all.
Rillithain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #53
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by breid51 View Post
Stevo - please see this article http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/0...hits-problems/ before complaining that Kobo "have had the benefit of seeing plenty of other releases on other tablets"!!
And your point is what. What has a tablet that was originally released with 3.2 honeycomb and proprietory hardware got to do with kobo developers making mistakes upgrading 4.0.4 to 4.1 on a tablet with better hardware that was intended to be upgraded in the first place .Samsung problem is a compatibility issue. Kobos is simply poor execution and lack of thought.

Last edited by stevov; 03-24-2013 at 07:12 PM.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #54
Starplatinum
Starplatinum began at the beginning.

I think a factory reset is the best thing to do after a big upgrade like the jelly bean one.
I had no problem this way with the tablet.
I personally use the Nova Launcher from the first day with the arc and everything is smooth. It uses only 45/50MB of ram (half of tapestry) and icon resolution is higher. More a pleasure to use and see.

I think that kobo developing team made a great job in the ICS firmware for the arc, this is why we see not great improvement with jelly bean update.
Everything seems to run little smoother and better (games also).
I use a sony smartphone and the ics upgrade was a nightmare.
Hope they keep going on working on future upgrades to solve all problems.
The Arc is a very nice tablet, the greatest complain is the lack of gps and bloothoth for app compatibility.

i'm a little worry about some incompatibility issue with apps and games (modern combat 4???) luckly is possible to sideload the apk installer (see flickr and nfl gamepass)

Last edited by Starplatinum; 03-25-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Starplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #55
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Hmm. It's gotten all slow and laggy since the update. When it works, which it only did for a few minutes in the first session after the update.

Tapestries is constantly crashing. (and is currently flashing as it tries to load and crashes instantly, not giving me time to open the app drawer or anything; powering down and rebooting did nothing to fix it. I can't even get into the app drawer to kill it or open Google Play to download an alternative launcher to use in the meantime)

EDIT: Managed to launch Google Play because Google Search/Now wants an update and had a card with a link to the store. It is a VERY evil update - one of the new permissions it wants is to be able to use the camera and record from the microphone WITHOUT USER INPUT. It even tells you outright that "This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation." (note that the unupdated version doesn't need that permission to activate voice search from the lock screen) and "This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation." (there is NO legitimate reason for it to have such permission) Man, I wish I hadn't updated...

EDIT 2: And I see we're stuck with the phone versions of various apps, like the Settings being single-pane and the recent apps list centered and taking up almost the entire screen (with the icons being almost twice as large as before, so you see fewer).

EDIT 3: Managed to download and install an alternate launcher (Nova). Really sucks that I *HAVE* to do that in order to use my $230 hardware...

EDIT 4: Petty Jelly Bean complaints:

1) If you have multiple apps to do the same thing (such as web browsers), you now have to tap twice every time to select "Just Once" if you want to keep getting prompted, as opposed to the old way where it automatically prompted you every time until you checked the always-use-this-app box and would launch immediately when you tapped the app you wanted to use. :/ Very petty, yes, but also actually very annoying.

2) The clock and battery and wi-fi statuses are all tiny and hard to read up at the top of the screen, taking up half a centimeter of valuable real estate - and are part of Tapestries' problems, I'll bet - instead of being large and visible down in the now wasted space of the button bar.

3) The centering of the Back, Home, and Recent buttons means I can't comfortably reach them with my left thumb when in landscape mod, like I used to. Can just barely reach Back, if I stretch a bit painfully, but not Home or Recent (the latter of which, with stretching and pain, I can just barely reach with my right thumb). Yes, it is not good having to take one of my hands off the tablet in order to hit the buttons. It's not much better in portrait mode, BTW.

EDIT 5: Just noticed that now you have to go into the Settings -> Display -> Brightness in order to adjust the brighness, rather than just from the notifications area... (where I used to just tap twice to reach it; don't like auto-brightness, but now I basically have no choice but to use it :/) Same goes for toggling wi-fi on and off, though at least that toggle's on the main settings menu. And no way to toggle off notifications. Ugh!

*sigh* I really wish I hadn't updated since, of course, there is no way to roll back the change, even with a factory reset and losing (and then having to take an hour+ to reload) the 10GB of music & video I keep on there. :/
I apologize for your issues. Please send me a pm with your information so that I can reach out and try to find out what went wrong with your update.

As far as settings and notification bars etc. We decided to stick with Androids standard 7 inch implementation.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #56
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I have to say I've been problem free since updating last night. I find my arc is running faster overall, my apps open quickly, and responsiveness is great. I do kind of miss the placement of the time/wifi/battery icons at the bottom but it's not a huge issue for me. As for the movement of the back/home/multitask(?) buttons to the centre of the screen, since I tend to use my device held in one hand this isn't an issue for me. Robin I commend you and your team on a job well done. (These are my opinions and experiences. Those who disagree, please don't hurt me )
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #57
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Other than turning off KoboTracking (which was renamed to KoboSystem in a previous update - unethically sneaky) and Discovery Service, as well as updating the apps through Google Play, no. And first thing I did was re-enable KoboTracking and Discovery Service and reboot. No change, except that Tapestries was sent into the load -> instant crash cycle right away rather than go through a few minutes of laggy performance before crashing the first time.
But these were disables during the the update?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #58
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I have made no under-the-hood modifications. I have a very few custom settings, such as having Chrome as my default browser. And now I installed the Nova launcher. And I disabled some services, from the settings menu. Tapestries is still nonfunctioning, but my Arc is working.
Please pm me with your info so that we may reach out for more info.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #59
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
After a day with the new update, I can say I am unimpressed with how they incorporated the JellyBean version of android with the ARC.

The notification area is pathetic when compared with other devices using the same version of android. Most of the functionality that I used is gone adjusting the brightness, easy wifi access, no separation between task that run always (antivirus for example) and true notifications(they are all mixed together), etc. etc.

The placement of the softkeys at the bottom of the screen - back, home & recent buttons make it harder to reach when in landscape, and then there is a LOT of wasted space...

As I said below, the inability to use the lock screen functionality that is available on other devices...

All in all I'm starting to think I should have gone with a different tablet.
I'm sorry you're disappointed.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #60
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaal View Post
Hi Robin

First of all, congratulations for releasing the upgrade - it is a change we have all been looking forward to.

I do share many of the concerns expressed in this thread (especially ease of access to things like brightness control), but most importantly, for me at least, is Arabic support: I have been happily using my koboarc to read Arabic websites etc., but now it seems that the font for Arabic is no longer there! Is it just a matter of tweaking some settings or has support for Arabic been dropped?

Arabic support and display quality were my main reasons for buying the koboarc, so it would be a big shame if Arabic support is dropped... please tell me I just need to change some settings, please...! (or that there will be a patch/small update soon).

Many thanks in advance for the clarification.

Best regards,
Kamaal
I'm going to look into this.