Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Google Reader on a rooted reader?

I am considering getting a rootable Android reader like the Sony T1/T2 or Nook Simple Touch. I was curious to see how well Google Reader worked on them. Anyone with any experience or willing to test it?

Also, what are some performance pitfalls on the known rootable readers?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
austinmitchell
Enthusiast
austinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a rooted Nook Simple Touch. Due to the version of Android, not all of the latest apps will run and it can be difficult to track down old versions.

I've given up using Google Reader as a result and use RSSDemon on the Nook instead. It works very well and is much better for reading on than my iPhone 4S. Other software I use:
  • Calibre Library
  • Cool Reader
  • InstaFetch (for Instapaper)
  • Search Market (required to search in the Market)
  • Opera Mobile
  • ADW

In general, the performance is adequate for all of these apps apart from Opera Mobile.

If you decide to get a Nook Simple Touch for rooting, it's much easier to downgrade the firmware to 1.1.0 than try to do it with 1.2
austinmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What issues did you have using google reader?

I see that RSSDemon has google Reader integration. I wonder how well that works. Last apps i tried always copied all articles, marking everything as read on GR itself in the process. That made it difficult to read on other devices.

Last edited by Hellmark; 01-29-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
check this once

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/73...0_4_E_ink.html
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard

Unknown brand, from unknown manufacturer, with no info about the interface (not much good being Android if it has a gimped book only interface), and no reviews online. Plus, doesnt' really get to the question of how well can I use Google Reader with an eInk reader.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know the risks.
I am just happy that android for eink readers is on the horizon and some manufacturers have started the process. Onyx is trying to launch an android based ereader. I asked them when and they said Q3.

But 2-3 members of this forum already purchased the device (alibaba one) recently. We can wait and see their reviews. Also wrexler has android based low resolution eink reader. Don't know much details about it.

Cheers!

Last edited by Feher; 01-30-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
I know the risks.
I am just happy that android for eink readers is on the horizon and some manufacturers have started the process. Onyx is trying to launch an android based ereader. I asked them when and they said Q3.

But 2-3 members of this forum already purchased the device (alibaba one) recently. We can wait and see their reviews. Also wrexler has android based low resolution eink reader. Don't know much details about it.

Cheers!
The interesting thing to me is android 4.04 as that would make this compatible with many of the latest google apps specially google currents if it can be rooted
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard

Bit low on RAM, but semi decent processor. Once people who bought them comment on them, I may consider getting one. Just am leary of no name devices. Firmware often buggy, and really no support. I have another Chinese tablet that is pretty much unusable. Crashes more than not.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
austinmitchell
Enthusiast
austinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
What issues did you have using google reader?
I have stopped using google reader in general. RSSDemon doesn't sync with google reader (I couldn't see how to do this) but does allow you to import your feed from google reader.

I think using google reader through the browser would be slow and painful so I've not tried. Other RSS readers in Google Play which sync need Android 2.2 or above; I've not found any for 2.1 but there may be older versions available outside Google Play.
austinmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Feher
Addict

User talizh and others have bought it. Link:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=56

Let's wait and read their reviews. Even i think that it will crash and will not be optimized for eink screens.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard

gReader says it does 2 way sync for Google Reader, and claims 2.1 support.

If it is a decent device, I'd consider it. While trying different GR clients, I found one I really love, but needs Honeycomb or above. Anything that'd give me a more recent version of android would be great.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
Feher
Addict

The review came and it is a bad device
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard

That sucks.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Dai Shan
Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PRS-T1, K4NT, Boyue T62
I have the Sony T1, and don't mind the google reader too much. It's responsive, syncs, and doesn't annoy me with notifications (there are a surprising number of apps that still notify even though you turn them off).

I also use instafetch (instapaper client) if I want the whole article. Works pretty well for my needs.
Dai Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard

Most of the feeds I use have the full article already. I tend to ignore places that don't offer full feeds. I really don't see the point of viewing a feed that basically just tells you to goto the website. Wired's RSS feed is horrible about that, only has a sentence or so from the article.

I like Sony, and I really love the Collections feature in Sony stuff, and how well Calibre works with them. Last I saw Nook's shelves could only be set on the device itself, which was a bit of a pain when I set up my mom's classic nook. However, I do like the side buttons on the nook, and the glow light. But back to Sony, they at least have Froyo. Nook has USB OTG though...

Damn it, Sony, why can't you have a reader with a lit screen?