Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Is Sony just simply ignoring the Reader?

Look at the PSP. It's had 4,000 firmware updates in the last 2 years.

The Reader? One (if you can call it a real update).

What's the deal? The Reader's been out what, half a year? Isn't it about time the number buttons did something worthwhile? I mean really...

:behead2:
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, the PSP division is trying to stop hackers with their updates, and the PSP has a lot more functions to support than the Reader. I was thinking that having an update only 4.5 months after the release is pretty quick, for such a stable product. And it seems pretty clear that this first update was aimed at fixing things like the RTF instability that was encountered on some files.

The impression I've gotten is that they only starting to consider what sort of expansions they might want to make to the original feature/function set (and how to approach them) after the first update.

In any case, I think it's reasonable to give them more than a month (26 days, really -- the update was only released on 02/09/07) between updates before we start worrying too much that they've abandoned the product.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I'm just embittered, really. The Reader is begging for updates!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Building on what NatCh said, the PSP most likely sells 4,000 times as many units as the Reader. Also the ebook reading market is not as dynamic as the computer game market.

We are very lucky that we were able to purchase a product as mature as the Reader for a version 1. Many other types of products take years to reach this level of stability. Yes, some have had problems with the current release and others have had problems with the first update; but far more have had no problems with either the original or the update.

Also the level and type of "hackers" between the devices are light years apart. On the PSP people are cracking the security while on the Reader they are looking to expand the capabilities. Not nearly the same thing. Without the updates to keep the PSP secure the updates per critical function between the two weighs toward the Reader as the more supported device.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patience, Grasshopper ... at least it already does what it claimed to in the first place. (Oh, I'm a baaaad boy, Babbit)
Advert
Old 03-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Patience, Grasshopper ... at least it already does what it claimed to in the first place. (Oh, I'm a baaaad boy, Babbit)
Apart from read PDF's that normal youngish healthy eyes can read :-(
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't understand why people keep "blaming" Sony for the simple physical fact that there's no good way of viewing an A4/Letter sized page on a 6" screen . It's not Sony's fault that PDF is a "page based" format and cannot sensibly be "re-flowed" like, say, RTF can, is it?

The only way that you could view A4 PDFs on the Reader would be to have some sort of viewing mode where you scrolled a "viewing window" over the page, and that really wouldn't be terribly nice to use, I suspect.

It's no use blaming Sony for this. They didn't invent the PDF format and aren't responsible for its limitations. PDF is a horrible format for e-books; that's not what it was designed for, and not what it's good for.

Don't blame Sony for something that's not their fault, please.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Don't blame Sony for something that's not their fault, please.
But...but.....well, it has to be SOMEBODY'S fault that I can't see something that's been reduced to 1/4 of its original size as well as I could when it was full sized. It certainly can't be mine and since Sony makes the product I feel it's my right to blame them for all that is wrong.

In fact, my sink has been dripping since shortly after I got my reader. Coincidence or further proof of Sony's lack of customer care and shoddy manufacturing standards?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Old 03-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher
But...but.....well, it has to be SOMEBODY'S fault that I can't see something that's been reduced to 1/4 of its original size as well as I could when it was full sized. It certainly can't be mine and since Sony makes the product I feel it's my right to blame them for all that is wrong.

In fact, my sink has been dripping since shortly after I got my reader. Coincidence or further proof of Sony's lack of customer care and shoddy manufacturing standards?

But on the plus side I've found its inbuilt hippo deterrent works like a charm. Not once since the Reader arrived have I been troubled whilst out and about. Thats the kind of protection you just don't get with inferior reading products.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
Zeek
Zeek began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Acrobat can produce pdf files that are "re-flowable". Sony's pdf view just needs to support that.
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

I can further attest that it also keeps away sharks, ninjas, space aliens and Bigfoot -- I haven't seen the slightest sign of any of them, or been abducted even once since I got my Reader!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Wellcome to MobileRead, Zeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeek
Acrobat can produce pdf files that are "re-flowable". Sony's pdf view just needs to support that.
In theory, yes, but Acrobat has to deliberately produce reflowable files -- it has to be built in at generation time. That's something that nobody actually does with their PDFs, and something we around here (a fairly sharp bunch of folks, after all) haven't had much success figuring out how to do, even when we were trying to do so. I don't know if we ever came up with a PDF file that we were sure was reflowable to see if the Reader's viewer would reflow it, so for all we know it might very well support reflowable PDFs.

It also occurs to me to wonder why adobe brought out Digital Editions (a totally separate, reflow-friendly format) if they could have just defaulted reflow to be active in standard PDF files ....
Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #14
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher
I'll fix your sink. Send it to me in the original packaging, I will fix it and return it prepaid. Please remove any content that you wish to keep before sending the sink as this may be lost in repair. We do not cross ship sinks.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The PSP will be changed in less than two years. The reader will last longer.

Why would I think that? You can't set up an internet bookstore, with all the legaleese involved, just to sell wares for only two years. The promotion of the device was started in the most stable, trouble free market in the world and this reader is quite usable as it is. If one does not find it adequate, it is he who is guilty of not being able to fulfill his own dreams. Let him build a better device. Until then... patience... a mason does not put the last brick until the others are in place.

The only drawback I see is that this device was not conceived by a true reading couch potato; it's main user. As I've said previously, it should have been designed to be better than paper, it's main competitor, in every respect.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote