Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Firmware update - what's the latest

Just wondering what the latest estimates are on the firmware update - anyone heard anything lately?
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Late june, last I heard. That estimate was posted by a Kobo rep in their Facebook discussion forum on the 9th of June.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
cicra1978
cicra1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo & Sony PRS 500
End of June

According to the Twitter account there will be an update by the end of the month that will address the font scaling issue.
http://twitter.com/kobo/status/16167960180
cicra1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
ava0775
ava0775 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Customer support told me the end of June also, via an email on Monday June 14.
ava0775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ava0775 View Post
Customer support told me the end of June also, via an email on Monday June 14.

Nutts.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
MrWobinson
MrWobinson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Where will we find it?
MrWobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Please to go here, with thanks to OP RedRoverJ!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Please to go here, with thanks to OP RedRoverJ!
Ooh thanks for that redirection - I had missed all that info, very exciting, not long to wait!!
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Just added the link to their latest blog entry:

Kobo Summer News
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Anyone sign up for the beta, if so, how do you upload it (if its via their software not 100% sure I could do it as I only have the "borders" version of it.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 AM   #11
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Anyone sign up for the beta, if so, how do you upload it (if its via their software not 100% sure I could do it as I only have the "borders" version of it.
I signed up, but from what Michael T said it sounds like it will be a few days until the firmware is released to the beta program. So I'm not sure how the firmware will be uploaded to the Kobo Reader.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

From the teleread article it is mentioned 'mult-button presses and resets' which leads me to believe its similar to other EB600 firmware upgrades like the Cool-reader, which can be seen http://www.coolreaders.com/fw.asp here

Last edited by Bismar; 06-19-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
1. ePub Font resizing. You will be able to load Adobe ePubs with fixed font sizes (set by the content publisher or originator) and still be able to resize the fonts with your Kobo eReader.
Alright stupid question: But what exactly does the mean? Basically I want to know if I can finally resize everything because basically I converted HTML and PDF to the epub. Am I still going to get eye strain to read the tiny print?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Alright stupid question: But what exactly does the mean? Basically I want to know if I can finally resize everything because basically I converted HTML and PDF to the epub. Am I still going to get eye strain to read the tiny print?
Depending on how the ePub is created, sometimes it will have fixed font sizes defined in the stylesheet.

We use the Adobe SDK to render ePubs, and we found that the Adobe SDK didn't let us get our grubby hands on fixed font sizes to change them on the fly when a customer chose to change font sizes. This is why some ePubs work, and some don't (grrrr!).

In the fix, couple of our most crafty developers found a nifty way around this problem and do the heavy lifting outside the Adobe SDK.

*EVERY* ePub we've tested with (including examples - many, many examples - sent in by customers) is now resizable with the new to-be-released firmware update.

I'd be surprised if your ePubs didn't resize. If they are DRM free, send the files at shasan at kobobobooks dot com and I'll give it a shot myself (because our testers might throw up if I send them another epub to test )
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
From the teleread article it is mentioned 'mult-button presses and resets' which leads me to believe its similar to other EB600 firmware upgrades like the Cool-reader, which can be seen http://www.coolreaders.com/fw.asp here
OMG I really really hope not. I need to buy an SD card and have a second set of hands to press the reset button? That's nuts!
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote