Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
overdrunk
overdrunk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Any official information about firmware 2.0 release data?

Now it is about June. When will Irex release its official firmware? I am wondering why it takes so long for a new firmware. It is just software programming.
overdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrunk View Post
It is just software programming.
You said not me, any software programming timeline is very hard to predict unless you are doing the same thing by rote. Programming hardware is even more difficult.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrunk View Post
It is just software programming.
I assume you're not a programmer?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
hey guys big news..
you will have to wait very little for the new firmware..
I can't tell you the exact time (but I know it ) but hold your breath..
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Cool, but I must say the beta has been rock solid for me. Looking forward to the final build.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Cool, but I must say the beta has been rock solid for me. Looking forward to the final build.
I think "repods" is just kidding. But I will be glad if this really happens.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I'm sure it'll be around the same time as when pigs fly... Patience is a virtue with Irex apparently and if you're expecting quicker releases (like I did from day 1) then you might as well find another company to suit your needs. I thought a smaller company would be more open/transparent with its customers but apparently the business model is to announce, hide and then disappoint
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovely View Post
I'm sure it'll be around the same time as when pigs fly... Patience is a virtue with Irex apparently and if you're expecting quicker releases (like I did from day 1) then you might as well find another company to suit your needs. I thought a smaller company would be more open/transparent with its customers but apparently the business model is to announce, hide and then disappoint
From a marketing perspective, it certainly isn't the best strategy to announce April as the release date, even still stick to that date on the website and wait until June.
BUT: Given the presence of iRex' developers in this forum and the quite frequent discussions, I wouldn't call their approach "hiding".
And many users seem to be quite happy with the beta release (haven't tried it myself).
I've been briefly disappointed as well, after having received my iRex 800. But this mainly was because of my enormous expectations, iRex iLiad having been my favorite reader. With more realistic expectations, iRex units to me still are benchmark.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
I have to say more transparency would be very very nice.
You don't go in software development if you cannot give estimates on project completion btw, so no reason to upbraid non programmers Shaggy. There is a scope creep on big business projects leading to delivery slippage, but this is not the case here, you have to admit. The scope is pretty set.
So posting the new updated time-line especially after beta completion should be relatively easy and will detract from negative of seeing April release date slip.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Given how stable the beta release has been I'm wondering if they opted to include further enhancements based on all the feedback on this board. I would certainly like to see the production ready release, but i've been quite happy with the beta and the developers have certainly been very open and engaged on this board. Kudo's to them.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
repods
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
I think "repods" is just kidding. But I will be glad if this really happens.
no man.. not kidding..
it's a news from real Irex guys

Last edited by repods; 05-22-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
repods
Addict

the time should be this week ..
let's hope so..
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovely View Post
I thought a smaller company would be more open/transparent with its customers but apparently the business model is to announce, hide and then disappoint
As opposed to most other companies, who just hide and disappoint. At least iRex makes announcements and tells us what they are working on. Most don't.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And many users seem to be quite happy with the beta release (haven't tried it myself).
I've been briefly disappointed as well, after having received my iRex 800. But this mainly was because of my enormous expectations, iRex iLiad having been my favorite reader. With more realistic expectations, iRex units to me still are benchmark.
I think you really should try the beta. It solves a lot of the disappointments you talked about in your initial reviews.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #15
Franky
Nameless Being

i tried the beta and one of my readers is constantly getting slower and slower in turning a page. no i went back to the default content and the problem is gone. very extremely irritating, because i can't use some features of the beta version.