Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do you fall asleep with your Sony Reader?

Dwight from Houston Chronicle's Techblog had a first look at the Reader. I loved this comment: "When using an e-book reader, it's just as easy to fall asleep reading as it is with a traditional book."

I never heard someone saying this before Overall he seems to be quite happy with it. You can read more here.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
the advantage of falling asleep with a ebook is that when you wake up you haven't lost your page.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I wouldn't fall asleep (I don't think) while reading on my Treo or a Sony Reader because I'd be too concerned about breaking it or the inevitable fall off the bed.

On the other hand, the other night I did drift off for a bit while listening to an audiobook on my Treo. Fortunately, I woke back up and remembered to put it somewhere safe. I just had no idea of how much of the book I was conscious for. (Unlike e-books, as ultim8fury pointed out!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
big_stan
big_stan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have to agree. I always read in bed at night, but I've trained myself (with p-books) to put the book down before I loose consciousness, so I haven't broken it yet!

I've also come to realize that I tend to slightly wet the tip of index finger when I turn the page (obviously I used to do it unconsciously), but now I have to retrain myself not to do it. I think it speaks volumes though, since it means that even at an unconscious level I forget that I'm not reading a "real" book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Dwight from Houston Chronicle's Techblog had a first look at the Reader. I loved this comment: "When using an e-book reader, it's just as easy to fall asleep reading as it is with a traditional book."

I never heard someone saying this before Overall he seems to be quite happy with it. You can read more here.
big_stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been reading from my Palm long enough that I've (mostly) gotten the habit of knowing when I'm about to drift off, and setting it aside, usually setting a bookmark as I do so. This has transfered pretty well to the Reader (including the bookmark ), so I'm in pretty good shape.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
LOL - Ok, you got me: I do fall asleep with my Reader, but in my recliner where so far it plops harmlessly onto my lap. (give me a break, I'm an old guy)

off to drool ...
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
[QUOTE=big_stan]... but I've trained myself (with p-books) to put the book down before I loose consciousness... QUOTE]
I did't know you could train kids this way

Sorry guys, specially you big_stan, but I can't get used to this "p-book" abbreviation!
Please...someone...pick me off the floor...

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 10-16-2006 at 09:01 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I like the "p-book" abbreviation... it makes paperbooks sound even more obsolete

Back to the topic: I heard some scary stuff from iLiad folks out here whose screen cracked because of the slightest pressure. What a nightmare it would be if you woke up one day and had your head lying on your e-book device, just to find out that you cracked its screen (not to mention that drooling while you're asleep is probably also a safe way to send the Reader to Nirvana).
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Yes, I fell asleeep with my iLiad. Reading lamp was on, my iLiad lay next to me as I woke up again. Uhhh, nothing bad happened.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Yes, I fell asleeep with my iLiad. Reading lamp was on, my iLiad lay next to me as I woke up again. Uhhh, nothing bad happened.
That's because you were lying next to it and not onto it
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Fell asleep with mine in hand last night. The second the cover made a little "flap" sound it woke me up and I put it on my nightstand. At least I have carpet in the bedroom in case it takes a tumble
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
tmastern
tmastern began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Yeah, I'm embarressed to say that I've found myself trying to turn the page (physically) right before I nodded off!
tmastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:53 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Falling asleep with a book in my hands happens more frequently to me today than it did in the past. Is it a sign of age?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
I think it's a sign of we work too hard and try to squeeze in reading just before bed At least that's the case for me. Although I have been taking my Sony Reader to work and I prop it up against the left side of my flat screen so when I get tired of staring at code, I still look like I'm working, muahaha. Now if only I could turn the pages with my eyeballs alone!
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Not necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
the advantage of falling asleep with a ebook is that when you wake up you haven't lost your page.
I don't have this iLiad thing, but with the readers on my PDAs that have "auto-scroll" feature I've woken up to "...and that's when he knew that the butler did it. THE END" No fun whatsoever.

What I like about reading in bed is that I can just slip the PDA lanyard around my wrist and not worry about bouncing it off the tile floor (that can't be good.) Plus, if I am able to put it away before I doze off, I can simply turn the PDA off and slip it under the pillow. Life is good.
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote