Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Raheldm
Raheldm began at the beginning.

Device: hopefully soon
Problem: kindle stopped showing locations

I just noticed it a couple minutes ago. It only shows the percentage but not the location. What can I do?
Raheldm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm guessing you just got the new 3.1 firmware pushed to your Kindle.

Push menu and you'll see them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Raheldm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm guessing you just got the new 3.1 firmware pushed to your Kindle.

Push menu and you'll see them.
Damn. Thanks for helping.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's a "feature"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
It's an improvement too! Just don't think about it too much.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It's an improvement too! Just don't think about it too much.
Since you seem to be on top of things... how should I feel about the "before you go" feature?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Hey - information that you have to work to obtain is twice as valuable as that which you can easily view. right???????
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Since you seem to be on top of things... how should I feel about the "before you go" feature?
Sorry, I have to go so don't have time to answer your question.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Raheldm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Hey - information that you have to work to obtain is twice as valuable as that which you can easily view. right???????
Not after I enjoyed the viewing feature for some months. If this is just the start then what will come next?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This is why I haven't upgraded to 3.1.

Anyway, all I can suggest is writing to amazon about it. Maybe they'll add it back in 3.11 if enough people complain about it.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Locations for me are the worst "feature" of the Kindle. It's an extremely confusing set of numbers, which takes a lot of brainpower to process, which you could be using to actually read the books. So I'm glad they hid it.

What they should do in my opinion would be adding dynamic page numbers. If you are using a certain font size, and with that font size you will need 500 page turns, then the book would have 500 pages. If you change the font size, it would also change the page count.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Page numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmania View Post
What they should do in my opinion would be adding dynamic page numbers. If you are using a certain font size, and with that font size you will need 500 page turns, then the book would have 500 pages. If you change the font size, it would also change the page count.
If you press Menu inside a book, the page numbers are shown in most ebooks but not all and reflect the pbook numbers.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If you press Menu inside a book, the page numbers are shown in most ebooks but not all and reflect the pbook numbers.
Doesn't work for books from other sellers though. I get most of my books from outside the Kindle store. And I agree that the removal of locations numbers is incredibly irritating.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Doesn't work for books from other sellers though.
It does if you process it through Calibre first, although that may mean removing the DRM of course..
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
It does if you process it through Calibre first, although that may mean removing the DRM of course..
Cheers
Paul
Calibre doesn't add real page numbers- only numbers that approximate pages. The ones on Amazon have page numbers that are identical to the page numbers in a specific version of the book.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote