Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
jewellofdenial
jewellofdenial began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kendle, BeBook
New here, rookie question, I'm sure...

I'm in the market for an ebook reader and have done a bit of research...

But I'm still not 100 percent sure I understand whether or not there is a reader that has wifi/3 G and the capability to borrow books from a elibrary? I've gathered, no, but just not sure I'm missing something.

Don't yell at me for not doing my research, I am checking around on this fantastic ereader forum site and will probably find my answer. But if anyone wants to sum it up for me quickly and concisely, that would be such a treat.

Julee

...so far I'm leaning towards the kindle or nook, or similar.
jewellofdenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No one's going to yell at you Julee. I believe the Nook has wi-fi/3G and Overdrive library support, and probably some of the Sony ereaders too. I admit I'm pretty Kindle focused, so don't know all that much about other devices.

Unfortunately, while the Kindle has the largest bookstore to buy from, and there are lots of places to get free ebooks, it doesn't support library lending right now, and may never. I still hold out hope that Amazon will work out something with Overdrive, but there's no sign of it right now.

Last edited by carld; 08-12-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Yes, I can download an Overdrive ebook to my Nook. I can't do it via wifi directly from their site (I don't think) like I can with B&N, but I just load it on via usb.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
jewellofdenial

Can you tell me a bit more about Overdrive? In laypersons language? Like, I'm guessing...you go to a website, pick the book you want, download something onto your comp, "borrow" the book to you compter, then download something else on your nook (overdrive program or whatever), then send it to your nook via usb cable? How do you get the access to "borrow" from a elibrary? Im I right in assuming Overdrive is a library? Sorry about the dumbness in my questions...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellofdenial View Post
Can you tell me a bit more about Overdrive? In laypersons language? Like, I'm guessing...you go to a website, pick the book you want, download something onto your comp, "borrow" the book to you compter, then download something else on your nook (overdrive program or whatever), then send it to your nook via usb cable? How do you get the access to "borrow" from a elibrary? Im I right in assuming Overdrive is a library? Sorry about the dumbness in my questions...
Overdrive is a company in suburban Cleveland, Ohio that has been doing ebook back-end systems for a decade or more.
http://www.overdrive.com/default.asp

They deal with the publishers and distributors to put together packages that libraries can sign up for to provide loaner ebooks. They also provide software and services for libraries to build up their websites and, I think, can even host the sites for them. They're somewhat like the EDS/Perot Systems of the Library "business"; they provide the techie stuff so the libraries are free to do the information stuff.

They provide ebook lending using ADOBE ADEPT DRM (epub and pdf), Mobipocket DRM (.mobi, .prc), and MS Reader DRM (.LIT) for use with PCs, PDAs, cellphones, and dedicated ebook readers.

The way it works is you go to the Library's Web site, get authenticated, download the file, and then you copy the file to an authenticated device.
http://ebcd.cuyahogalibrary.org/62BE...en/Default.htm
The actual process will vary somewhat depending on the type of DRM you are using and the device in question.

Edit: The list of supported devices is not complete. Plenty of other compatible devices work but aren't listed.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-12-2010 at 04:51 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
jewellofdenial:

Plenty of e-readers allow you to borrow e-books from the library. In fact, I'd be safe in saying that almost all the current e-readers allow you to borrow from a public library (even the Kindle - after a bit of tweaking - which is NOT covered here...).

The steps are:

1. Find a public library and get a library card. The wiki will help you determine which library you can use (obviously, you can check your local library - then there is Philly Free Library that'll let you mail in an application to get a card for $15/year).

2. Next, you'll need a program called Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), which you can download from this site: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

3. After you've installed ADE, open it on your PC and follow the prompts to create an Adobe account and authorize your computer to the account (you sign up for a free account)

4. After you've authorized ADE on your computer, close ADE.

5. Plug your e-reader in and re-open ADE. It should come up with a prompt telling you your reader needs to be authorized with ADE. Follow the prompts to register your e-reader.

6. Now that that's done, go to your library's web site. Find a book (epub, PDF or mobi - depending on your device). You can follow the prompts to check out an ebook - you'll first put an e-book in your library "cart," then you'll check out (by signing in with your library card).

7. THIS IS IMPORTANT: After checking out an ebook, you'll see a button where you can download your e-book. Select the option to "open with Adobe Digital Editions" ('cause the file that'll be downloading is an ascm file, which is the ticket your computer has to have to actually get the epub/PDF/mobi file).

8. The book will download into ADE and from there, it is a simple matter to click-hold-drag the ebook to your ereader (which should be visible in the left hand column of ADE).

9. Disconnect the reader, navigate to the book (usually in a folder called "Digital Editions") and read (!).

Hope that helps.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
jewellofdenial

Micky 330,

That does help (it will at some point, after I buy a reader). Although I was hoping it would be so much simpler...

I'm only 33 years old and shouldn't be so "outdated" in my new tech knowlege. But I am, and it only seems to get worse and worse.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll refer back in time.

Julee
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Most of the steps you only have to do once. It's not as bad as it seems. After you find your book at whatever system your library uses, you checkout, then download it to open in ADE. Then drag your book to your reader which will be connected to your computer via usb.

I suggest contacting the library and asking what they use for ebooks (My local library doesn't offer overdrive so I had to get a card at the next city over), then see what kind of formats they offer (epub, pdf, mobi, etc...) to make sure you get the right device. What if you buy a Kindle and find out your library system doesn't have mobi files? I also heard (but I'm not sure on this) that to put library books on a Kindle you have to run a script first.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Julee,

It's not hard. I'm 53... this is my first e-reader, I've only owned it a month and for the first few weeks, I was intimidated by the library lending. However, once I dived in, it really wasn't a problem. You only have to download the ADE program once, establish an Adobe ID once and then authorize your computer and then your device once.

After that, it is just finding your book and downloading to your computer and a quick transfer to the device via USB. No worse than downloading a free book somewhere and side-loading that.

Nook 3G/WiFi can do the library books, no problem.

You probably should check and be sure your library does the ebook thing as well as checking formats. My library only offers EPUB and PDF. Which is fine for Nook.

Anyway, don't feel outdated... I don't have much for the way of "tech" gadgets myself. I only have an antiquated Tracfone for a cell phone.

Cynthia
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 AM   #10
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I am pretty sure that ADE installed itself when I registered my Sony. It also has a wireless 3g sim, but next to useless in OZ.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote