Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 12-06-2002, 09:01 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Lightbulb

I was surprised to find many of you with a "wrong" user agent setting. Please check if you are using of them:

Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; AvantGo 3.2) Right!, or:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; AvantGo 5.2; FreeBSD) Right!
Mozilla/3.0; AvantGo 3.2 Wrong!
Mozilla/3.0 _(compatible; AvantGo 3.2) Wrong!
'Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; AvantGo 3.2) Wrong!

Please all of you see that you have the right user-agent in iSiloX. Look at the instruction again at http://www.turcic.com/palm.shtml#isiloinstruct

Also a lot of you haven't changed the user-agent at all. Please also go and check http://www.turcic.com/palm.shtml#isiloinstruct.

Note that if you don't change it, you might be unable to download some of the mobile web pages.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:04 PM   #2
wade
wade began at the beginning.

can u please explain why u have to do that?
Advert
Old 01-25-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically if you don't change the user-agent string, you might be unable to download some of the mobile web pages (those who allow only for the Avantgo user-agent). On the other hand, it won't hurt to change the user-agent string.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:45 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Attached you find the registry entry to automatically set the Avantgo user-agent in iSiloX. Simply unpack it and double click on the .reg file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip avantgo_useragent.zip (382 Bytes, 504 views)
Old 04-10-2003, 09:46 AM   #5
ralph
ralph began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T
What's the correct User Agend setting if you want a web site to think you're using IE? Is it just "Internet Explorer"?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 04-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

You can use this one:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
Old 04-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #7
ralph
ralph began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T
Thanks!
Old 05-01-2003, 12:56 AM   #8
cbulock
cbulock began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NX60
I had bought a new computer and forgot to change this in iSiloX. I never had any problems with the pages I was loading, but when I changed it to the settings listed above, I started having problems accessing Slashdot.org. For some reason I could read the news and not the comments. So, actually, changing this setting seemed to give me more problems. Not saying this is the case for everyone, but for the sites I'm trying to access.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:23 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

The problem is that iSilo doesn't allow to set this setting on a site-by-site basis. They may be a very few pages that don't like Avantgo at all, but that is the exception. Point is that the sites were mostly designed to be used with Avantgo (thus the "Avantgo" in the Internet URL).
Old 07-01-2003, 05:24 PM   #10
Alejandrico
Alejandrico began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie PEG SJ-22
I would have helped adding to the instructions:
In the 'Tools' Menu select 'Options', then select 'HTTP' tab
to get you to the screen where it is shown the User-Agent change
Old 07-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Looked today in my log files and saw that Avantgo uses a new user-agent.

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; AvantGo 5.2; FreeBSD)
Old 08-23-2003, 05:08 PM   #12
dillon65
Connoisseur
dillon65 began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Hello Alex:

Should I be using the new formula for my user agent, or continue with the old one.

thanks

dillon
Old 08-24-2003, 07:23 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Either one of them should be fine in most cases.