Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Do I Have a Dead Battery?

So I've been reading very sporadically over the last month, but the past week I've noticed something that has me concerned. A few days ago, my PP said "battery low". So I plugged it into charge overnight. I wake up and unplug it. Battery meter reads full. I keyboard lock and off to class I go. That night before bed I decided to read some more. Battery meter was showing empty. Figuring some ebook file might have been eating away at the battery, I plugged it in to charge overnight again. Next morning, battery meter still reads empty. This morning I plug it in again to charge the whole day. Unplugged it an hour ago. Battery still reads as empty and I get "battery low" warning. I do a soft reset, a hard reset, and even unplug the battery for 10 minutes, and after all of that, battery still reads empty.

I've only let it run down the battery twice. When I plug it in, battery "lightning" icon shows up and blinky red/yellow light flashes.

According to About, I'm running V2.02ASTAK.100320 Firmware. Last time I checked, I had updated it with the latest firmware (unless a newer one was released within the last month).

Is this a firmware issue? Or did my battery just die on me?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well to remove the question of whether it is a firmware issue, you could reflash to an earlier firmware, such as Dec09 and see if that fixes the problem. If it continues (in my view) would indicate more strongly a bad battery.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
So I've been reading very sporadically over the last month, but the past week I've noticed something that has me concerned. A few days ago, my PP said "battery low". So I plugged it into charge overnight. I wake up and unplug it. Battery meter reads full. I keyboard lock and off to class I go. That night before bed I decided to read some more. Battery meter was showing empty. Figuring some ebook file might have been eating away at the battery, I plugged it in to charge overnight again. Next morning, battery meter still reads empty. This morning I plug it in again to charge the whole day. Unplugged it an hour ago. Battery still reads as empty and I get "battery low" warning. I do a soft reset, a hard reset, and even unplug the battery for 10 minutes, and after all of that, battery still reads empty.

I've only let it run down the battery twice. When I plug it in, battery "lightning" icon shows up and blinky red/yellow light flashes.

According to About, I'm running V2.02ASTAK.100320 Firmware. Last time I checked, I had updated it with the latest firmware (unless a newer one was released within the last month).

Is this a firmware issue? Or did my battery just die on me?
1) Remove the SD Card and see if that helps cure the lack of charge
2) remove and re-seat the battery plug inside.
3) Observe the charge indicators (LED and Icon), If missing, the cord,connector or charger could be at fault [not as likely, since you indicated a rapid discharge]
4) Failed charge level detection circuit. If you have a voltmeter available, read the battery voltage (3.7 VDC +/- 5% is a normal range).

The battery should last well over a year if not abused (allowed to deep discharge, overly hot or cold).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
The only time my battery drained like that I had inadvertantly layed it on my computer instead of a non-electronic box I keep it on. When I noticed what I did, I immediately moved it to my usual box, but when I checked next (I don't remember how long later, hours or maybe a day) the battery was drained. I had just charged it the day before I did this.

I recharged it, and have been very careful not to set it on anything electronic. And I've had no problems.

this is probably a lot of useless info, but I'm wondering if a lot of the people who've had battery issues have been leaving the PP sitting on electronic devices.

Or am I way off...........

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1) Remove the SD Card and see if that helps cure the lack of charge
Not using a SD card.

Quote:
2) remove and re-seat the battery plug inside.
Already did that. Didn't help.

Quote:
3) Observe the charge indicators (LED and Icon), If missing, the cord,connector or charger could be at fault [not as likely, since you indicated a rapid discharge]
LED and charging icons show up and work.

Quote:
4) Failed charge level detection circuit. If you have a voltmeter available, read the battery voltage (3.7 VDC +/- 5% is a normal range).
Won't be able to test until I get home. Don't have either my PP or a multimeter on hand.

Don't know if this helps. I left it charging overnight again and this morning the battery read 3 bars (out of 4). I held the reset button for 10 seconds and hit the power button. Device reboots and I see 4 bars. I turn it off and turn it back on and it only reads 3 bars.

Going to reflash to previous FW tonight if battery voltage checks out.
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
The only time my battery drained like that I had inadvertantly layed it on my computer instead of a non-electronic box I keep it on. When I noticed what I did, I immediately moved it to my usual box, but when I checked next (I don't remember how long later, hours or maybe a day) the battery was drained. I had just charged it the day before I did this.

I recharged it, and have been very careful not to set it on anything electronic. And I've had no problems.

this is probably a lot of useless info, but I'm wondering if a lot of the people who've had battery issues have been leaving the PP sitting on electronic devices.

Or am I way off...........

AJ
Leaving the PEz directly on top (or under) something with a RF transmitter (like a Cell or WiFi device) might annoy the electronics enough that they would not sleep. and that might run the battery down.

That said, my PEz and Cell sit upon my desk within a foot of each other, frequently.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Leaving the PEz directly on top (or under) something with a RF transmitter (like a Cell or WiFi device) might annoy the electronics enough that they would not sleep. and that might run the battery down.

That said, my PEz and Cell sit upon my desk within a foot of each other, frequently.
So it could be RF interference causing my battery to drain on my PP and for the meter not reading the battery life correctly?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

When I laid the PP on the "electronic" device, it was my computer, admittedly over the defunct cd drive. But in days gone by, you were never to lay a "floppy" disk on the computer especially near the power source, or risk your data being corrupted.

The "box" I do lay my PP on is directly under my computer about three inches below it. (I have my computer on a small wire shelf)

I don't know about RF as I do not use wireless on this computer, it is direct connect broadband.

But every little bit of information helps.....
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

All these are WAG's as we can not monitor your environment.
My guess is it would take abnormal RF levels to cause problems.
A stuck key and the keypad not locked would cause issues, also.

We are guessing as only your eyes see the PEz.
If we hear the sound of your hand slapping forehead, we will know you found something
Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
When I laid the PP on the "electronic" device, it was my computer, admittedly over the defunct cd drive. But in days gone by, you were never to lay a "floppy" disk on the computer especially near the power source, or risk your data being corrupted.

The "box" I do lay my PP on is directly under my computer about three inches below it. (I have my computer on a small wire shelf)

I don't know about RF as I do not use wireless on this computer, it is direct connect broadband.

But every little bit of information helps.....
Floppies were/are sensitive to magnetic fields. That brownish layer is Iron oxide that is recorded tiny magnetic bits. Any alternating current field really close will slowly rearrange the bits. A strong magnet will do it NOW.
Color CRT used a Very strong magnetic loop around the edge of the CRT that comes on for a few seconds when you powered the CRT up (or chose: Degauss) to Keep the CRT face magnetically neutral .

LCD's do NOT need this technique.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Hmm well pulled out the battery and tested it with the multimeter. Voltage is nominal (read 4.16v which is normal for a 3.7v li-poly battery). I decided to switch it to another USB charger I had. After 4 hours I unplugged and my PP now reads full power again. Didn't even flash back the FW yet. So it seems the charger might have been to blame.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hmm well pulled out the battery and tested it with the multimeter. Voltage is nominal (read 4.16v which is normal for a 3.7v li-poly battery). I decided to switch it to another USB charger I had. After 4 hours I unplugged and my PP now reads full power again. Didn't even flash back the FW yet. So it seems the charger might have been to blame.
Weird
With that Voltage, the battery meter should have said "FULL", at least in my book
away and see how long the charge lasts.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura

Great, now my PP suddenly tells me "battery low". I unlocked the screen, the device rebooted on its own, and then "battery low". It doesn't seem to be the charger.

I was just reading a few chapters last night. It still read full charge when I locked the screen for the night.

Going to try and find a copy of the previous FW so I can flash my PP.

Dang it. Can't find the old FW at Astak or TheEZReader websites. They only list the April FW. Anyone know where I can DL the previous FW?

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 05-29-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #14
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Dang it. Can't find the old FW at Astak or TheEZReader websites. They only list the April FW. Anyone know where I can DL the previous FW?
ekaser maintains a pretty comprehensive archive of previous firmware here. http://www.kaser.com/ebooks.html
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Not a tech but...

Quote:
Great, now my PP suddenly tells me "battery low". I unlocked the screen, the device rebooted on its own, and then "battery low". It doesn't seem to be the charger.

I was just reading a few chapters last night. It still read full charge when I locked the screen for the night.

Going to try and find a copy of the previous FW so I can flash my PP.

Dear Acreo Aeneas:

Have you tried removing the SD card when you get ready to stop reading for the night?

There have been people that have noted that some SD cards can cause the device to "run" and use power when it should not. It is worth a try. Some cards just seem to have this problem.

Also, please remember a tip: the Green Light on the PP means "starting to get "full" and not "completely full". I recommend charging about two more hours after the green light comes on!

I will monitor this thread and see if the problem persists. I am certainly not a tech... but I pick up little tips on problems and hope maybe I can help.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote