Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
hutchism
hutchism began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hack Request to perfect Kindle Touch

Hi all. Just got a Kindle Touch. Seems like an almost perfect device aside from the lack of physical buttons for page turns.

How difficult would it be to get the 'Home' button to advance to next page?

Something like, short press is 'next page', long press is 'Home'.

I'm quite tempted to take this device back and get the basic Kindle at this time.
hutchism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchism View Post
Hi all. Just got a Kindle Touch. Seems like an almost perfect device aside from the lack of physical buttons for page turns.

How difficult would it be to get the 'Home' button to advance to next page?

Something like, short press is 'next page', long press is 'Home'.

I'm quite tempted to take this device back and get the basic Kindle at this time.
The touchscreen is divided into regions that perform those functions. Read the ebook that came with it. Or is it that you need tactile feedback (the "click")? You did not say in your post what problem you have with its normal methods. Would an audible "click" be good enough? If so, that can be provided with a software solution.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
hutchism

Hi geekmaster. Thanks for your reply. I am aware of how to navigate the device via touch. Its just that I would appreciate 'tactile feedback' and potentially ergonomically superior use of the single 'home' button to advance the page.

The touch interface is excellent, but for the function of advancing the page I feel my suggestion would be welcomed by many users?

I have sent my suggestion to the Amazon development team, but can't imagine they'd take it seriously enough to do anything about it, which is a shame because reading reviews I see a lot of people miss having a button to advance to next page.

Basically I want the 'home' button to respond as
short press - 'next page'
long press - 'home'

I know this won't suit everyone, but for me I think it would be perfect

Last edited by hutchism; 05-01-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchism View Post
Basically I want the 'home' button to respond as
short press - 'next page'
long press - 'home'
That can be done with software. Either develop that solution yourself, or wait for somebody else to do it when (or if) they get around to it. You may need to study a bit to develop a solution, but the learning experience will help keep your brain young and healthy.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
hutchism

Thanks geekmaster. I kinda realised that it can be done with 'software'. Its not something I'm going to develop myself because I don't really have the time for it right now. Got enough to do and I'd rather read my kindle, than spend hours trying to understand the architecture.

Kinda wondered if anyone else might have attempted something similar? If I've got solid knowledge to work from I might give it a go, but for now I'm going to enjoy reading Stephen Kings - Dark Tower
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You could start by looking at /etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua.

It contains code to handle screenshots (which involve long-pressing the home button, while also tapping). It should be straightforward to modify this to only send a "go to home screen" event if the button has been pressed for longer than, say, a second.

The challenge is to also make it determine if it is currently showing the reader application, and to send a "click" event to the correct screen region instead (and to act normally otherwise).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
ricocarlos
ricocarlos began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
I would love a page turn button option as well.
ricocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Nyoxi
Connoisseur
Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

In my oppinion doing it in java framework would be more natural.

But still, using awsome configs to do this is a way too. You should even be able to tell whether the reader is running or not. (But don't ask me how.) ... supposing you can flip pages/go home with lipc commands.
Nyoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You can't do it in the Java framework, because the event happens "below" it. In other words: the framework doesn't even get to see that button press, it's intercepted right away, the action "go to home screen" is triggered, and the event is thrown away. That's why it also works when a WAF app is running.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Nyoxi
Connoisseur
Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Damn, ixtab is right. All is handled in handleHomeKeyDown and handleHomeKeyUp functions in rc.lua. Framework never sees any event for the key.
Nyoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Hello,

Nobody is interested in this hack?

I'm asking because I'm about to by the Kindle Touch, but the lack of physical buttons scare me a little bit. My hands hurt sometimes (RA) so to have an alternative resting position for my hands, and not need to move my thumb constantly would be awesome.

Big disappointment btw with PaperWhite no buttons, no sound...

Thanks a lot in advance.
askak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by askak View Post
Big disappointment btw with PaperWhite no buttons, no sound...
IS this device going to be supported by amazon long term now? the touch?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
askak
Enthusiast
askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.askak 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Quote:
IS this device going to be supported by amazon long term now? the touch?
They still sell it in my country with 2 years warranty.

Yes I know is going to be discontinued but also happend with k4 non touch. One year more or less on the market and discontinued.

I read your post here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190207 and I thought you would share my feelings.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I DO share your feelings. 100%
I was just worried that you would buy a device that would end up being not supported.

Don't know what the better option is. just wanted to clarify why I asked about continuing support.

Would love a supply of kindle keyboards forever. Can't believe they are killing it off.
Tragedy
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
askak
Enthusiast

Ok twobob, didn't understand you very well.

Yes I also think the Keyboard is almost perfect, not a big fan of touchscreens either, but since I'm going to use a lot the dictionary/highlighting from the reviews I've read I think a touchscreen would be better.

And I don't find any other device with audio support, decent web browser (I like the "article mode" feature) , and all the amazing hacks the Touch has. (at 129€)

If only one more hack was added...begging...it would be almost perfect...still begging