Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Anyone Else Draw on Their Cover?

So, I was in class one day bored out of my mind, when I figured what the hell, I'm going to draw some abstract doodles on my leather cover that comes with the 505. Well, I started doodling, moderately satisfied with the result. The way I doodle, if I make a mistake, I just somehow incorporate the mistake into the design, so I figured there was little chance of having any huge regrets. Mistake.

As I doodled, I noticed that I had smudged the ink where my hand passed over it. I was thoroughly mad with myself, as I should have anticipated this since it was one of those gel pens. I figured once the ink dried, it would be a done deal.

But, alas, I found that it was not the end of my cover, for the ink came off very easily with a wet wipe. So now I plan to draw on my cover over and over, until I get a result I like.

And, please, don't go and start drawing on your covers and then get pissed at me when it doesn't come off. The pen in particular I was using was the Pilot G2 - 07. I waited a few days to wipe the ink off. I don't know if you wait longer, it might now work.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
jchestnutt
meow
jchestnutt began at the beginning.

I plan to do this at some point, if only to make a difference between the front and back covers. But I'm scared of ruining it if I make a mistake.

Here's someone who made a nice design on their cover:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20096
jchestnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I bought a cover to go over mine that is fabric. You could use fabric and then not worry about the scribbles
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchestnutt View Post
I plan to do this at some point, if only to make a difference between the front and back covers. But I'm scared of ruining it if I make a mistake.

Here's someone who made a nice design on their cover:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20096
Thanks jchestnutt, for mentioning my cover.

Just for everyone's information, those stock covers that come with the readers are not leather - they're vinyl. I used a brown Sharpie to add the design to the cover in the picture of the above thread. Even though the Sharpie did dry, the ink will still eventually rub off as you touch the cover over the months. I just touch it up with Sharpies periodically.

I now have the lightwedge cover, so I put the same design on that cover using a silver Sharpie. The lightwedge black cover is also vinyl, but it seems that the silver Sharpie stays on the black cover better - perhaps because it's not as slick as the stock cover.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
jchestnutt
meow
jchestnutt began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
I now have the lightwedge cover, so I put the same design on that cover using a silver Sharpie. The lightwedge black cover is also vinyl, but it seems that the silver Sharpie stays on the black cover better - perhaps because it's not as slick as the stock cover.
Can we get a picture?
jchestnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I bought a cover to go over mine that is fabric. You could use fabric and then not worry about the scribbles
Did you get it from the lady on Etsy?
I was thinking about one of those covers.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
Yes. It's awesome, I highly recommend it. I'm actually thinking about getting another one, swap them around. Added benefit: It gives you a place in the front and back covers to stick papers and such.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #8
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Picture of the design on Lightwedge cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchestnutt View Post
Can we get a picture?
Here it is.

Edited to add: The cover looks a little sparkly or grainy in this picture. It's just glare from the flash. Hope you can see what you want from this picture, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	1,019.0 KB
ID:	22692  
Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Very cool design, Janet. Mine won't be nearly as organized, lol. But It might be in the end, as I may just borrow some ideas, lol.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Thanks, Drezin. I used the stencil to add my design because I have NO artistic abilities of my own! If I drew on mine, I'd have to hope I could wash it off because it wouldn't look good!

Sharpies come in a fat point, like I used on my reader- those are called "fine points". They also come in an ultra-fine point that makes a line like a ballpoint pen would make. If you want to have permanent artwork, you should get yourself some of the ultra-fine point Sharpies. Just bear in mind that even the Sharpies, although they dry completely and can't be washed off, will rub off over the months as you have your hands on the covers. I try to hold my cover by the edges of the front to prolong it. You can go over it periodically with the Sharpie as you see it fading, but I'm betting that would be easier done on my simple design than on your elaborate design.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I have three (I really liked them and couldn't decide) and they're great. Very nicely made.
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I used JanetCinNC's idea and made a cover from a red planner cover and a stencil that took freakin' forever to cut but it came out pretty cool.

revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
JanetCinNC
Groupie

revfish, what did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I used JanetCinNC's idea and made a cover from a red planner cover and a stencil that took freakin' forever to cut but it came out pretty cool.
revfish, I remember your cover, and I think it is fabulous! I know it must have taken forever to cut that stencil, but it looks marvelous, and it fits the layout of the cover so perfectly.

What did you use to put the design on there? Sharpie, paint pen, or...? Does it rub off over time because of touching it with your hands while holding the reader? Is the cover made of leather or vinyl?

Sorry about the inquisition. I'll put away the bright lights and rubber hoses now!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
The planner is just vinyl and I did the design in black Sharpie. It has been almost a year since I made it and it hasn't faded but it also hasn't gotten that much actual use as I have 5 other homebrew cases that I have been using as well as a month with the Cover With Light fiasco. I am actually tempted to give it a shot again for the hell of it.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I saw this thread a little while ago and was insanely jealous of all the fancy covers. I had to try to find something that would look just as good, without resorting to trying to draw in Sharpie on the cover of my Reader. I ended up contacting an outfit in Calgary that does custom leatherwork, and here's the result... I LOVE it!

Name:	Reader1.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	24495

Name:	Reader4.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	24496

Name:	Reader5.JPG