Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Calibre doesn't convert Topaz. It can edit the metadata but that's about it. Any conversion of topaz involves external programs/plugins that first get topaz into an html format which calibre can then handle from there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Calibre doesn't convert Topaz. It can edit the metadata but that's about it. Any conversion of topaz involves external programs/plugins that first get topaz into an html format which calibre can then handle from there.
Ah...I guess I'm also guilty of confusing what's done by Calibre and what's done by a third party plug in. It's easy to forget when you just drag in a book and it pops out done on the other side.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Don't let this keep you away from Calibre. To strip DRM from books you'd need to independently download and install a specific set of plug-ins and then set them up (provide info) to do be able to do the stripping. Anyway Calibre is a wonderful tool without the DRM stripping capability added.
Yes I have discovered Calibre. It keeps my library very neat Adobe always freezes.

Guess will wait for Amazon to go epub too then
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Guess will wait for Amazon to go epub too then
Don't hold your breath while you wait. You'll probably turn blue.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Don't hold your breath while you wait. You'll probably turn blue.
lol

unfortunately there's no light at the end of the tunnel
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #21
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
So do most Amazon books have DRM? Don't want to illegally convert them
This is one of the urban myths which get mindlessly repeated over and over.

It is not illegal to strip DRM for personal use - I challenge anyone to show me case history where anyone has ever been charged or sued for removing DRM for personal use anywhere in the world.

It is of course illegal to sell ebooks which one has cleansed from the DRM.

And is illegal to tell people how to remove DRM, which is why we are not supposed to talk about it on the forum. But we are allowed to suggest that you google Apprentice Alf, and learn the facts.

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-23-2012 at 03:41 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
This is one of the urban myths which get mindlessly repeated over and over.

It is not illegal to strip DRM for personal use - I challenge anyone to show me case history
Unless someone appointed you Ultimate Judge of All Law, your statement is false, unreasonable and potentially dangerous.

First of all, some countries in Europe make it clearly illegal, and I believe you will find some documentation.

Second, in the US, the DMCA has words in it that say circumventing DRM is illegal, and the Library of Congress has a rule making process to make exemptions to that which clearly shows that exceptions need to be made for individual activities.

It's not a myth, and you cannot say it is NOT illegal in the face of that.

HOWEVER, I think we will see that it is not illegal in the US. If we ever do get a case about such personal use (unlikely, because even if it is illegal, who's going to know or care enough to sue if there was no copyright infringment?), I think we will see stripping DRM for person, non-infringing uses is held as fair use, and I hope we will have rule making or revised legislation that makes this explicitly clear. Also, I think, if it NOT proven to been seen this way, such prohibition is unjust and morally wrong.

But that's just me. The letter of the law is undeniable.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote