Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree it is expensive though I think part of that is that they aren't something that everyone would need. Who knows maybe it could be counted as a medical device and the handicapped person could get it at a discount. I know things like back braces and dentures are sometimes covered in such a way.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Hmmm. I am a bit against mandated. Could drive up price which would affect the financially challenged.
In this case, the device itself might only need a software tweaking to allow a peripheral device to provide the service (like modifying the USB port to allow control input). There would be little to no additional product charge for that. Then the peripheral would be bought by those who needed it only.

Taxes pay for things like accessible sidewalk corners; we don't all need to use them, but I don't begrudge my taxes for paying for them. I also wouldn't complain about an added cost to a product for accessibility... and you can always buy something else.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I do not begrudge my tax dollars being spent to help people who need it. In fact I love it when that happens in a useful manner. I am all in favor of better social assistance and aids for the handicapped and the elderly, the disenfranchised and those who are unable to do for themselves through physical or mental handicaps and even addictions.

I just think mandating manufacturers to make everything possible as accessible to everyone possible would complicate life and as previously stated drive up prices. This would place a burden on the working poor who are burdened enough IMO.

That said, I am all in favor of accessibility and have no problem with the government paying for aids for the handicapped. I am fortunate that I m neither handicapped or poor.(by no means well off but I can afford a few luxuries after I pay my taxes )

Available yes, mandated for all ereaders no.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote