Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
notyou
Connoisseur
notyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheesenotyou can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle / Palm Pre / iPhone
Lame "All-American B&N Classics" free promo

From B&N's promotional e-mail tonight:

Quote:
Free! American Classic eBooks
Limited-Time
Free offer ends Monday at midnight
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these all public domain already? So what, Tuesday at 12:01AM they start *charging* for books freely available from the Gutenberg Projects? Jerks.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks...?r=1&PID=34447

Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Edgar Allan Poe

Federalist (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Alexander Hamilton

Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Emily Dickinson

Uncle Tom's Cabin (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Essays and Poems by Ralph Waldo Emerson (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Walden and Civil Disobedience (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Henry David Thoreau

Common Sense and Other Writings (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Thomas Paine

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Frederick Douglass

Last of the Mohicans (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by James Fenimore Cooper

Leaves of Grass (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Walt Whitman

Selected Stories of O. Henry (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by O. Henry

Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Writings (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Washington Irving

Waste Land and Other Poems (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by T. S. Eliot

Call of the Wild and White Fang (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Jack London

Narrative of Sojourner Truth (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Sojourner Truth

Red Badge of Courage and Selected Short Fiction (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Stephen Crane

Daisy Miller and Washington Square (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Henry James

Ethan Frome & Selected Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Edith Wharton

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Mark Twain

The Scarlet Letter (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Babbitt (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Sinclair Lewis
notyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, all this is PD and is easily obtainable when their special "sale" [] is over.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think there's a belief that it's bad to point out to customers that you can get books for, gasp, free! And legally!
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Actually, the B&N Classics series come with bonus specially-written essays and commentary on the author/work presented, so it's a freebie worth picking up.

Geo-restricted to US addresses, though.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Actually, the B&N Classics series come with bonus specially-written essays and commentary on the author/work presented, so it's a freebie worth picking up.

Geo-restricted to US addresses, though.
Right. I'm definitely downloading these over the other public domain versions.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I'm willing to pay for public domain books, if they are error free and the ebook is a decent quality. I'd be willing to pay even more if they came with commentaries and/or footnotes. The difficulty is finding out whether they are asking you to pay for a raw Gutenberg text (not always the best quality), or if there is real added value worth paying for. I can't download these, but if they were accessible to me I'd give them a try.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Most "raw Gutenberg texts", especially in the past few years, are on an equal level of quality with most paid ebooks. Better than a disturbing number of them.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Most "raw Gutenberg texts", especially in the past few years, are on an equal level of quality with most paid ebooks. Better than a disturbing number of them.
In the past few years maybe, but I've seen enough that were barely readable that I'm rather suspicious now. I can remember at least one (Proust in French) where one character was systematically deleted thoughout the book. In another (in English), part of the punctuation had also disappeared.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The difficulty is finding out whether they are asking you to pay for a raw Gutenberg text (not always the best quality), or if there is real added value worth paying for. I can't download these, but if they were accessible to me I'd give them a try.
Generally, I find the sampling function works well enough, at least for those that show up on Kindle. Added-value material tends to get put at the front, or listed in a table of contents if it's at the back.

As for the accessibility of the B&N store to interested international customers, there's a thread at the top of the Nook forum which goes into further detail on that.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I purchased the The Complete Sherlock Holmes Volumes 1 and 2 right after I got my nook for cheap (not free). I'll not purchase any more. Full of OCR errors and HarryT's Omnibus version is much better. I'll get my Classics here on MR...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I purchased the The Complete Sherlock Holmes Volumes 1 and 2 right after I got my nook for cheap (not free). I'll not purchase any more. Full of OCR errors and HarryT's Omnibus version is much better. I'll get my Classics here on MR...
My omnibus may be better, but please bear in mind that it is not in the public domain in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
B&N Classic comes with foot notes, additional comments, translator notes, etc... Usually the quality of their public domain books is pretty good.

Most of what is in PD is just the translated work and that is all, and the quality of the format varies. So far, albeit I've only seen a few, most of B&N Classic eBooks are pretty well formatted.

Since they are free, I'd recommend you download a book and check them out to see the difference.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Well, thy are not really FREE as you need to sign in (free account) AND give them your credit card informations.

Why do they need my credit card informations for free books ?

So, free is not always free.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My omnibus may be better, but please bear in mind that it is not in the public domain in the US.
Actually, Harry, there is considerable doubt that the copyrights said to be held in the United States are valid (The claims have been rejected at least twice in US Federal Court). It appears from my reading that only one book - The Case Book - remains under copyright.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Why do they need my credit card informations for free books ?
Because their DRM scheme is based on your name and credit card number, both of which are encoded into the downloaded file.

They don't actually charge your card (except that one time they did these glitch penny charges and stopped once they realized how much it was costing them in transaction fees), and I'm not sure they even check to make sure it's valid any more.