Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
Floppy Annoyance

Is there any way I can disable Calibre from searching my A: drive? I upgraded to 8.29 and that behaviour is back again. It's not the end of the world but it is annoying.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
If you do not use the A: drive anymore (cannot imagine anybody still using it but I have been proven to be wrong before), you could try to disable it in the PC's BIOS settings, and/or via the device manager of your (Windows) OS.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Surely Calibre shouldn't be accessing drives with removable media if they don't currently have any media in them, should it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This is almost certaintly something at the OS level doing this rather than Calibre itself.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
See https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/741632
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Drive A: (and B: ) are hardcoded/hardwired build-in left-over relics of non-mobile devices, but still valid when not de-activated. So searches over all drives will also include A:, B:, C:, etc. I do not think calibre should solve this.

For WinXP, there existed a tweak utility to let windows "know" not to use drive A, B by unchecking some check-box. Did a quick search for something similar on my Win7, but no luck (have no A/B floppy drive anyway).

Further, as windows allows renaming drive indications, drive A: might actually map to some exsisting external USB-drive. Another reason not to solve this in calibre.

Just my 2cts.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
OS level? Don't think so. I'm using XP and Calibre is polling the A: drive constantly, not the Kobo. I don't know why and shutting off the A: drive because of Calibre doesn't seem to be the right direction to me. As soon as I unmount the Kobo the polling stops. Something is in Calibre that's buggered.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post
OS level? Don't think so. I'm using XP and Calibre is polling the A: drive constantly, not the Kobo. I don't know why and shutting off the A: drive because of Calibre doesn't seem to be the right direction to me. As soon as I unmount the Kobo the polling stops. Something is in Calibre that's buggered.
When calibre detects the kobo, it asks windows for the list of drives so it can mount the kobo's memory. This causes windows (not calibre) to poll A:. If the kobo is not completely detected (busted memory or an unknown drive string), the process repeats in a bit.

If you have a "fix" for this "bug", I am sure that Kovid would love to have it. He said as much in the bug report that I pointed toward.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I don't anything about the phone and how it interfaces. If the issue is writing to an SD card, can't that writing be done to one of those little USB drives that mounts an SD card?
Then the card could be restored to the phone.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
When calibre detects the kobo, it asks windows for the list of drives so it can mount the kobo's memory. This causes windows (not calibre) to poll A:. If the kobo is not completely detected (busted memory or an unknown drive string), the process repeats in a bit.
Can you explain what you mean by "not completely detected"? In my naivety, I would have thought that a device would either be detected or not. What does "not completely detected" actually mean?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "not completely detected"? In my naivety, I would have thought that a device would either be detected or not. What does "not completely detected" actually mean?
It means that some device connected to the computer has USB IDs that calibre recognizes, but that either no disk drive known by calibre to be associated with the device can be found or the disk drive cannot be written. This situation can arise because the device is non-standard, is new but reuses a previous USB ID, or has firmware changes that calibre doesn't know about. It can also happen if some device is presenting bogus USB IDs.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I actually had to disable (within XP) the floppy drive because of the constant polling. No issues now.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It means that some device connected to the computer has USB IDs that calibre recognizes, but that either no disk drive known by calibre to be associated with the device can be found or the disk drive cannot be written. This situation can arise because the device is non-standard, is new but reuses a previous USB ID, or has firmware changes that calibre doesn't know about. It can also happen if some device is presenting bogus USB IDs.
Thanks! I appreciate the explanation. Presumably the reason for the retry is in case the device simply hasn't finished initialising the USB connection, or something like that?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the explanation. Presumably the reason for the retry is in case the device simply hasn't finished initialising the USB connection, or something like that?
That is one reason. Another is that the device might actually have been changed between scans.

I suppose we could detect that a given USB ID has failed N times in N tries and stop checking it until it disappears for a complete cycle (or something like that). My problem is that I have no motivation at all to take on this task, having neither a floppy drive nor a device that isn't fully recognized.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I completely understand that. It's always difficult to justify spending time on coding for obscure error conditions.