Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Default dictionary

One of the books I'm reading right now is Marian Keyes' "Sushi for Beginners" and I've come across a few words that I wanted to check out, unfortunately about half of them aren't included in the Kindle's built in dictionary. I don't think they are specific Irish words (but I could be wrong) so I'm contemplating replacing the dictionary with a more comprehensive edition.

Hence, I'm curious to know if anyone else have found a need for a better dictionary and if so, what you have decided to purchase?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Irish Sushi??
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The country is surrounded by sea, just like Japan.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Hence, I'm curious to know if anyone else have found a need for a better dictionary and if so, what you have decided to purchase?
I have found the Chambers to be the best (even better than my old standby, the Concise Oxford), but the current 11th edition doesn't seem to be available as a Mobipocket ebook. The 10th (which I have) is still available and will work as a Kindle dictionary when 'liberated'
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
Ebenist
Ebenist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Chambers 10 edition dictionary

The info provided by "mbovenka" sounds exactly what I've been looking for.
However, I don't understand what he means by "liberated"
I will be grateful if he will advise.
In a similar vein, I'm looking for a French to English replacement dictionary.
The Merriam-Webster, that came with the Kindle, is not bad. However I find I need to resort to my hardback Collins-Robert more frequently than I would wish.
Ebenist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

My uneducated guess is that liberation in our gadget realm refers to freedom from DRM.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
My uneducated guess is that liberation in our gadget realm refers to freedom from DRM.
Yep
Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Ebenist

Smile

Thanks Kumabjorn,
Now I know it's worth making the investment!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Don't want to hijack the thread, but i didn't even know you could replace Kindle's dictionary with another one :
- can you use more than one dictionary at a time ? For exemple, i'm reading a novel written in English, and i want the definition of the word in English, and it's translation in French, is that possible ?
- how do you know a dictionary is "eligible" to replace kindle's original one ?
- how do you use the dictionary ? by selecting a word when reading a book, or you have to open the dictionary itself and search for the word ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread, but i didn't even know you could replace Kindle's dictionary with another one :
- can you use more than one dictionary at a time ? For exemple, i'm reading a novel written in English, and i want the definition of the word in English, and it's translation in French, is that possible ?
- how do you know a dictionary is "eligible" to replace kindle's original one ?
- how do you use the dictionary ? by selecting a word when reading a book, or you have to open the dictionary itself and search for the word ?
- No, you can't use more than 1 dictionary at a time.
- As far as I have found, any Mobipocket format dictionary readable by your Kindle works (i.e. not DRM-locked to another device). I have tried the Concise Oxford, the WordNet and the Chambers (the three Mobi dictionaries I have), and they all worked on my DXG.
- You move the cursor in front of the word you want to look up with the 5-way controller and after about half a second the dictionary entry pops up at the bottom of your screen.

Note, it doesn't work in PDFs.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice ! The kindle looks more and more appealing to me...One last question : how do you select the dicitionary you want to use ? Is it identified by the name of the file ? The underlying question is : if i have 3 different dictionaries on the kindle, do i have to connect the kindle to a computer to define which one it will use ?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Nice ! The kindle looks more and more appealing to me...One last question : how do you select the dicitionary you want to use ? Is it identified by the name of the file ? The underlying question is : if i have 3 different dictionaries on the kindle, do i have to connect the kindle to a computer to define which one it will use ?
No, you can pick one on the Kindle itself: Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Change Primary Dictionary. It will then let you pick from any Mobi format dictionaries on your device. Mobi dictionaries have a specific format, so it can recognize them and not show the rest of your books.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
Papi
Addict

Well, that's just what i was looking for then...Guess i'll wait for the next kindle, and in the meantime, i'll look for dictionaries in Mobipocket format !
Thanks a lot for the help !
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
Ebenist

On the subject of dictionaries. in my opinion companies such as Chambers & Colins-Robert are missing out on a big market. All the E-book format translating dictionaries, I have come accross, fall short of what a serious language student needs.
One would have thought, they having done all the hard work of compiling a comprehensive dictionary data base destined for publication in hardback, that it would not be too much more work to issue it in E-book format. Is it perhaps that they do not want to release that sort of data in a form that can be plagiarized?
Anyone any thoughts?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Aren't they already available on the PC and Mac platform? Meaning they exist in digital form. Maybe there is someone here that could make a conversion so I could get my OED (but then there would be no space available for books) on my Kindle?