Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
This morning I dropped my PRS700....

As I was getting ready to put my reader into my purse,I dropped it on the floor.Luckily,it was not a big fall...AND my reader works fine...BUT...my case no longer "fits". The plastic seems to have gotten bent out of shape,so to speak,so the bottom part connects fine -but the top part no longer does...consequently I have a case-that the 700 is no longer secure in.

I figured,on my way back from my meeting this morning in Midtown-I would stop by the Sony store-to see what they suggested,and *maybe* they had a case or could do something. They told me they did not sell any cases for it,I would have to order a replacement part direct from the Parts and Accessory Sales department OR buy a case for the 505,but my 700 would overlap (they demonstrated in the store...).I took the number for the department,and went along my merry way. (Ultimately,I decided depending on the answer,I could always go back there or just buy a PRS505 case-but then I forgot I could also use the case from my broken PRS505....)

ANYWAYS,I called Sony,and was initially delighted to hear they DO in fact sell a replacement soft cover....UNTIL he told me how much it would be : $103.95 - ,its part # 411635401 ,the Parts & Accessories website : https://servicesales.sel.sony.com.

Now on to figure out what to do-but I know what I will NOT be doing-for now I will use the case from my old 505...until there are more reasonable options...
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
WHAAAT!!!! So does that mean that the reader actually is $296.05.... hmmm

You can hold off a bit and use your old PRS505 till Medge comes out with their new covers for the 700 in the beginning of May
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
good god, are they joking ????? $103.95 for the cover ???? wow, if they could sell the reader for 100$ less with no cover i would happily have bought it naked and used a bubble envelope to protect it, sheesh ! alphapheemail is right, wait until the third-party covers are available.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That doesn't make sense. Borders sells nicer covers for $40 (in different colors).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That doesn't make sense. Borders sells nicer covers for $40 (in different colors).
They're only for the 505... =T
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
They're only for the 505... =T
Oh. Duh.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
what scum bag M***** *******.

this is one of the reasons i hate sony, and my 700 will more than likely be my last sony product ever

i feel very sorry for you. if M-edge ever comes out with their cover which they have been promising since februrary, i will gladly send you my old one
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Oh,there was NO WAY...I was going to spend $103.95 for a polyurethane cover !!!!That's beyond insane.As I was leaving the Sony Store,I was willing to rationalize spending the $30-40 I would've spent on the case,in shipping for the "replacement" (even expedited shipping,since I'm leaving on a trip at the end of the week....)- I don't even think the reps at the Sony Store are actually aware of how much they are being sold for.I may go back in there and bring them the print out-it really is quite obnoxious !

For now I am using my old PRS505 cover (it was even semi pointless to buy the ones for the 505 when I do have one sitting around not being utilized).I will wait until there is something third party available...I am STILL in shock over the sticker price...(In fact I think I mentioned it no less than three times this evening.....)

Andybaby-if they ever do come out with the case (which it does seem they've been promising endlessly)-I'd gladly consider paying a reasonable fee for your old PRS700 case...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Have you thought about looking on ebay, or maybe in the flea market section of this forum??

I also saw a link somewhere for cases made out of printed fabric...for alot cheaper than $103.95...Maybe something like that would work for you???

Good Luck!!! At least it is only the case that's damaged though and not the reader!!! Thats still a bummer though.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
narbeauchamp
Groupie

Yes I have,I will get around to doing some more in depth searching(ebay,here,CL etc ).

I am really glad the reader is still working and appears to have no damage from the fall (this time around I did get the extra insurance...unlike with the 505)...but still -I think that's way too much money- I probably would have at least considered it if it had been some sort of premium leather case (I vaguely recall,*almost* purchasing some sort of D&B case for my 505 ..but ultimately chose not to. I am also glad that I remember (before purchasing) that I HAD a 505 case at home to use "in a bind". My main concern is really protecting the device (I did/do like the "magnetic" feature on the oem case for the PRS700)-but I don't want to drop or damage the device because my case is broken/I have a shitty case.

This may be one of the last factors that makes me think twice about buying Sony products in the future....but who knows .....
Old 04-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
narbeauchamp--Shouldn't your extra insurance cover the case as well? Did you ask?

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
narbeauchamp
Groupie

I did ask...they said no (although that would've been nice if it had....) hmm wonder if I should ask again...but yeesh....$104 for THAT case ????? I have not lost my mind yet
Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Try immersing the non-fitting end in HOT water and see if you can then shape it back into the correct position. Slow steady pressure...
Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote