Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Bridgestone announces flexible touchscreen color e-reader

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/27/b...olor-e-reader/

"Based on a technology Bridgestone calls Quick-response Liquid Powder, the company's all-color touchscreen e-book reader is about 5.8mm thick, features a 13.1-inch touch-sensitive e-paper display (with 4,096 colors and a refresh rate of about 0.8 seconds), and some sort of unspecified mobile phone connectivity."

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-27-2009 at 11:18 AM.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Wow, if that comes out next year it would be great and put a lot of trouble in the big name eReader sellers
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Wow, if that comes out next year it would be great and put a lot of trouble in the big name eReader sellers
Not really. If you've followed the news lately "next year" or "starting from 2010" other parties will also introduce their color e-paper solutions.

It's just that as of now, there aren't any protohypes yet.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
The contrast appears to be very low, but the refresh speed, as shown in this old video, seems good:

badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I suspect the technology will take at least a few generations to become as good as the greyscale. I think a screen like that could be very useful for tablet PC type devices. But that is way to big for a portable reading device.

I'm concerned that the trend toward do-everything type of readers will diminish the ability to simply read books. I want a good reader, not a swiss-army-knife compromised device that does a lot of things so-so and nothing well.
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I suspect the technology will take at least a few generations to become as good as the greyscale. I think a screen like that could be very useful for tablet PC type devices. But that is way to big for a portable reading device.
Agree, and I really need an A4 sized tablet for academic work, so I'm very excited to see where these devices/screens go in the next couple of years.

Looks promising as from that video this could be very think and light and still have a big screen to handle any PDF, allow easy highlighting and annotation with stylus etc.

Give it a generation or two for the tech to improve and the screen to be used in robust devices that have internet, e-mail, PDA functions etc. and we'll have some very handy devices for the business/academic crowd--and others who want a multifunction tablet type device.

Quote:
I'm concerned that the trend toward do-everything type of readers will diminish the ability to simply read books. I want a good reader, not a swiss-army-knife compromised device that does a lot of things so-so and nothing well.
I don't think there's anything to worry about there. There will remain a market for simple, dedicated readers. Especially as prices come down on such devices.

Some people just want to read and don't need annotation, internet, e-mail etc. and companies will put out simple e-readers for them.

There's plenty of room in the market for dedicated readers and tablets aimed more at the business/professional/academic set who can't really replace paper with current e-readers but could with a large screen tablet.

I don't think the "jack of all trades, master of none" critique really flys any more. Tech is getting better and better and doing a lot of things well in recent years from things like the iPhone to video game consoles like the PS3 being an outstanding Blu Ray player (when past consoles were terrible DVD players) etc. etc.

They have no choice but to get better at making multifunction devices given the increasing number of people who are always on the go and thus really need good multifunction devices that are portable and let them get their work done etc. from anywhere.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
The contrast appears to be very low
The current crop of engadget pictures seem to show reasonable contrast.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
but you can check it out sooner at FPD International 2009 in Yokohama City, Japan, starting tomorrow.
Anyone live near there?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:

I keep going back & forth on this. One the one hand I dislike the 'all-in-one' idea that if one part breaks I need to replace/return the whole thing. (I'm facing that now with a printer/scanner/fax. I've gotten the printer & fax working, but can't get the scanner to send the image to the PC. I think it's a software problem but they've told me to return it for repair which will leave me without a printer or fax, either.)

On the other hand, I like 'all-in-one' for portability. I much prefer taking my smart phone with me to read, browse the Web, listen to music, and more as opposed to carrying an eBook reader, an MP3 player, etc. Plus all their separate chargers if I'm traveling. (Have you seen the article about the UN defining a 'standard' charger for phones? I don't think it'll catch on, but it'd be nice.)

As for the size, it seems to me that there are two separate markets here. Some people are entirely in one market or the other while others straddle both markets depending on what they're doing-but I think there's definitely two markets.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
W5JCK.
Jack, can't send you a PM, so I'll write here hoping you will get it.

Do you know WA5QKE, Fairfield, TX?
AJ
(Send me PM if you wish)
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Well, I could read anwhere, and of course I need a cell phone, and I need my Internet connection, and I could use something to take notes with...

So I'll just carry four devices!!

No, I won't. I'll carry one device that does all of them. The Kindle does Internet access and is a reader, both at once. So, there's not much more to go. Maybe the cell phone can be separate, but there's no way I am going to carry a separate device for every function. All in one is the ONLY way things can end up.

And this color device looked a bit washed-out to me... But it confirms my prediction that color is coming a lot faster than Amazon seemed to predict. In a year, many of us will be using color devices, and I am looking forward to seeing decent pictures, tables and maps on my reader -- you know, maps where you can actually READ the locations? Photos you can actually ENJOY. That kind of thing...
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Jack I am with you on a simple reader. I do not need anything but a good format and the size of font that I can read and a usb connection to a PC and I am good.
I do love the EZreader because of all the formats it will work with but I mainly use PDF and epub and sometimes mobi

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Wow! Me wants!

Quote:
I suspect the technology will take at least a few generations to become as good as the greyscale.
I disagree. The refresh rate seems better than current grayscale ones. The contrast, the color one there's a lot of room to improve, but so far nothing tells me that grayscale images and text won't have an as good contrast as the grayscale ereaders.

Looking forward for more news about this one.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm definately in the All-In-One camp. I want an eReader that supports color at video refresh rates and that has a flexible screen. I also want fast access to the internet. Movies, video games, books, music, custom software all on one thin, light, portable, paperpad sized device, with a week+ battery life.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, I could read anwhere, and of course I need a cell phone, and I need my Internet connection, and I could use something to take notes with...

So I'll just carry four devices!!

No, I won't. I'll carry one device that does all of them. The Kindle does Internet access and is a reader, both at once. So, there's not much more to go. Maybe the cell phone can be separate, but there's no way I am going to carry a separate device for every function. All in one is the ONLY way things can end up.
So, I drowned my phone a few months ago. If I had been you, I'd not been able to read and surf the net anymore (I used my PDA for that, now it would be the JE100, Mini and PDA). Or take notes (PDA again). Or listen to my MP3's (MP3 player).

Me, I'd take 4 different devices for 4 different functions any day. It would be nice if some functions were on several devices (like note taking on your phone and your reader or listening to mp3's on your phone and mp3 player, etc).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote