Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Lightbulb Downgrading european 505's to US firmware

Hi folks,

As much as I love my new PRS-505, I wanted to try and use PrsCustomizer on it, to change the default fonts, add a name tag and make it display the time.

Unfortunately, I bought it in France, and therefore it had a French 1.3.xxx, which made PrsCustomizer unhappy.

I needed to downgrade it to the US firmware, but the Sony Updater program refused to do it because my firmware version was higher than the US firmware version...

After meddling with the Updater, I found a (quite simple) way to make it update my Reader, which I share with you here :
  1. download the Sony Updater program containing the US firmware (named PRS-505 Updater 1.1.00.18040.exe)
  2. extract "PRS-505 Updater 1.1.00.18040.exe" to a new directory (it's a ZIP archive in disguise)
  3. in this directory, edit the eBookUpdater\scripts\updater.xml file : search for the following :
    Code:
    if (this.compareDeviceVersion(version)) { this.checkmark.show(true) this.button.enable(false) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "This PRS-505 is up-to-date") } else { this.checkmark.show(false) this.button.enable(true) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "Please click below to continue") }
    and replace it by this :
    Code:
    this.checkmark.show(false) this.button.enable(true) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "Please click below to continue")
    In fact, you are simply bypassing a test on the device version...

4. run the PRS-505 Updater.exe program and update your Reader

@moderators, please sticky this thread if you think it's worth it...

Last edited by dpierron; 04-19-2009 at 03:38 AM. Reason: modified the explanation so it is more generic...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - alternatively, you could instead edit
Code:
eBookUpdater\assets\updaterAssets\PRSVersion.dat
and change the version number it thinks it's installing (to a bigger number), which should satisfy the tests.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I ran the PrsCustomizer on the version 1.2 firmware (UK version I think) with no problems. Are there known problems with 1.3?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
PJ45
PJ45 began at the beginning.

Device: Frs 505
thanks, gwynevans, seemed to be a very simple task. I did change the version number to a bigger number (25201), instead of 1840. into the sony update .the software passed the version check ok - but when trying to make a new image (5) the unit say "sorry, this firmware version is not supported. 505.1.1.00.1840
what did I missed?
PJ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
PJ45

dpieron. I tried your technic but when runing the software after accepting, the software panel becomes all grey and then nothing happen. I waited 10 minutes and stopped the process.
I am not a programer but I think Id did copy your instruction to the letter.. what went wrong?

this.image.brighten() this.container.setVariable("deviceVersion", version) if (this.compareDeviceVersion(version)) {(this.checkmark.show(false) this.button.enable(true) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "Please click below to continue") } var notificationShown = this.container.getVariable("notificationShown")
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
PJ45

gwynevans, I meant the update went fine with the supposely sony 1840 version renamed 25201. What was refused is the customizer' update that is using the version 1840. so do I have to trick also the customizer? I would not know where...thanks for your help!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
PJ45

Dpieron, I am still trying to figure it out, my version is 1.1.01.25200 but I think its the same problem since it is higher than the sony update 1.1.0.18040.
I am trying the run the PRSCustomizer version 1.0.0..
I tried your trick as explain above but it still does not work. (runig software give my a grey square windows instead.

I understand your are replacing the full line with the same end of it ? so it's the same as erasing the begining << { this.checkmark.show(true) this.button.enable(false) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "This PRS-505 is up-to-date") } >> isn't it? or should I keep the sign " {... } ' ???
this is what I replaced the whole you mentioned line with:
if (this.compareDeviceVersion(version)) {(this.checkmark.show(false) this.button.enable(true) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "Please click below to continue") }
Old 07-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The edit I refer to is in the Sony executable, which should then allow you to reflash your 505 to V1.1.0.18040. After you're done that, you can use the PRSCustomizer. The reason for that is that the PRSCustomizer merges certain files it has, with the firmware on the device. It restricts itself to firmware versions it knows & it's not going to be safe to merge the files with other firmware versions in case there are differences.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
PJ45

i UNDERSTAND. i DID THAT IT WORKED, i COULD UPDATE TP THE SONY VERSION 1.1..0. 1804O.
When running the prscustomizer, the screen flashes once and comes back to normal when it was.. no way to initiate the customizer.is my SDcard, defective?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
PJ45

THANK YOU GUYS, YOU ARE THE GREATEST!
i FINALLY MADE IT WORKING...

(I do understand faST , the problem is you have to explain a long time! )
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY USA
Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Randalf
Randalf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Hmm - alternatively, you could instead edit
Code:
eBookUpdater\assets\updaterAssets\PRSVersion.dat
and change the version number it thinks it's installing (to a bigger number), which should satisfy the tests.
I made EXACTLY like this and worked like a charm!!!!
I downgraded from 1.4xxxxx (german) to the latest US firmware.

cheers!

Last edited by Randalf; 07-22-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There is an easier way, with PRSCutomizer (loaded onto an SD card) select Firmware upgrade mode, then you can upgrade with the official patch.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
monkeyman
monkeyman began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
if (this.compareDeviceVersion(version)) { this.checkmark.show(true) this.button.enable(false) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "This PRS-505 is up-to-date") } else { this.checkmark.show(false) this.button.enable(true) this.container.setVariable("updateStatus", "Please click below to continue") }

Change the first false to true and it will always give you the option to update. if you advance to a newer madeup version to pass the check, you can't run some of the universal flashers as it won't recog your version number.

B

PS: thanks for the tip as to unzip and which file has the boolean test.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
gwundil
gwundil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Works in Linux, too, although I had to use virtualbox to run the Updater.exe, wine just froze. Now I'm finally able to use prs-plus and folders, making my
reader about 10 times more user-friendly.

Cool solution, many thanks, dpierron!
gwundil is offline   Reply With Quote