Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What should we work on first when the SDK is out?

Assuming that iRex will release the SDK soon (and comply to GPL rules), and that we'll be able to write our own tools or even program our own OS, what do you guys think should we work on first?

I was thinking we could for instance port other open-source readers to iLiad. <<< thinking of Plucker here!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Gavrahil
Gavrahil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librié
I'm all for the implementation of a Java VM.
Gavrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
what about porting "evince"?
since some people asked for a djvu-Viewer.

http://gnome.org/projects/evince/

Last edited by b_k; 08-06-2006 at 11:28 AM.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Please, for us that are not the super hackers - functional web access!
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
minto
minto began at the beginning.

Thumbs up How about creating a special iLiad linux distro ?

I know of an developer environment that can help in creating a special iLiad linux distribution. This environment is called T2 ( http://www.t2-project.org/ ).

T2 already support the Arm architecture. So it will only be a matter of creating a so called iLiad target. I only wonder how a created distro can be installed on the device.

The best thing would be if the iLiad can boot from CF. This would make playing around with it a lot more "brick safe".

my 2 cents
minto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
b_k
Übernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
Please, for us that are not the super hackers - functional web access!
i dont think that is a big problem. As i have understand it, the only problem is to keep the network interface opened. And a addressbar in the browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minto
I know of an developer environment that can help in creating a special iLiad linux distribution. This environment is called T2 ( http://www.t2-project.org/ ).

T2 already support the Arm architecture. So it will only be a matter of creating a so called iLiad target. I only wonder how a created distro can be installed on the device. ...
um, tell it to a non-programmer (me), whats the difference to OpenEmbedded? Isn't OE also a build environment, or is it about additional functions in T2?

And about installing, i think or better hope iRex uses something similar to Routers or other embedded devices where you can flash through a tftp-server in the bootloader or over a serial interface.

Last edited by b_k; 08-06-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
minto
minto began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
um, tell it to a non-programmer (me), whats the difference to OpenEmbedded? Isn't OE also a build environment, or is it about additional functions in T2?
I am a commiter to T2 and don't know how OpenEmbedded works. The T2 architect claims OpenEmbedded is a pain in the ass to use. (Sorry, these are not my words and I don't intend to start a flame war)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
And about installing, i think or better hope iRex uses something...
This is a great way of updating a distro to newer releases, but what about trying out new things. One mistake and your device is bricked. Using bootable CF will not brick your device when trying out new things. If new things fail, just remove the CF and reset it and you have the working old thing.
minto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
b_k
Übernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by minto
This is a great way of updating a distro to newer releases, but what about trying out new things. One mistake and your device is bricked. Using bootable CF will not brick your device when trying out new things. If new things fail, just remove the CF and reset it and you have the working old thing.
i dont think so. if the flasher is is in the bootloader, and the flash process won't touch it, you could always reflash.
(at least that's how the SIMPads loader works, but it seems very common most home routers do it the same way. You can update the OS and the loader separately, but i had always some fear when i was flashing the loader. Cause if you kill the loader, then the device is indeed bricked.)

But in case you would have to flash everything at once, including the loader, your option with CF-booting is for sure the better and less headaching way.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
renushan
Enthusiast
renushan began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX M92
I am no CODE Guru. I suggest a good email client, a robust ABIWORD and GNUMERIC and good readers.
renushan is offline   Reply With Quote