Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #61
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
That'll happen with some updates, unfortunately.
Just curious, if you "freeze" apps using titanium rather than removing them, will they stay frozen after an update?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #62
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Yep. As long as your app data is still there.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #63
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Thanks, good to know.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #64
Swicks01
Swicks01 began at the beginning.

Hello,

I downloaded a VLC to my Kobo Vox and still cannot play wma files. I have tried converting the wma files to mp3 however they are protected. Is there a way to play these files on my Vox?
Swicks01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #65
mr_nobody
Evangelist

I think you would have to strip the drm from them first...I don't believe you will find anything that plays protected wma on android.
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #66
Swicks01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I think you would have to strip the drm from them first...I don't believe you will find anything that plays protected wma on android.
Do you know how I would go about doing this?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #67
mr_nobody
Evangelist

No but you can google for tools that claim to do this.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #68
Swicks01

Thanks. I found a few programs that claim to remove the DRM. Hopefully one of them will work
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #69
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Yeah, VLC will play wma files but DRM files will always be an issue.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #70
Denbeau
Denbeau began at the beginning.

Pls forgive a newbie question (this is my 1st post); I followed Jefftheworld's advice on rooting my Kobo Vox, and then tried to follow the instructions on removing apps. I downloaded and installed ConnectBot and BusyBox (in that order); everything seemed to work as intended. However, when I now run ConnectBot and select 'local' (from a pulldown), I get the display:
Connecting to null:22 via local
failure: Local shell is unavailable on this phone

Any ideas? ... thanks
Denbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #71
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicks01 View Post
Thanks. I found a few programs that claim to remove the DRM. Hopefully one of them will work
I have the name of one that absolutely works...PM me for it. It's not free however...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #72
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denbeau View Post
Pls forgive a newbie question (this is my 1st post); I followed Jefftheworld's advice on rooting my Kobo Vox, and then tried to follow the instructions on removing apps. I downloaded and installed ConnectBot and BusyBox (in that order); everything seemed to work as intended. However, when I now run ConnectBot and select 'local' (from a pulldown), I get the display:
Connecting to null:22 via local
failure: Local shell is unavailable on this phone

Any ideas? ... thanks
I had that error originally too. It had to do with the wrong version of busybox being installed or busybox not being installed properly. Reinstalling and choosing a different version fixed it.

That being said, unless you are a masochist, I would suggest using es file explorer in root mode to rename/delete apps. Much easier than typing in the horrible connectbot window.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #73
Kraftie
Kraftie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Blackberry Curve 8330
Question Pros and cons to rooting my device?

Your instructions are clear and easy to follow but with all due respect, (and as a complete and utter noob) I'm just wondering how rooting the device makes it better. Does it improve functionality and if so, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
I'm going to use this thread to put up various guides on customizing your Kobo Vox. I'll rank them in two areas; expertise required and my opinion on how vital it is to making the Vox better)

Each tutorial will list all the tools you need and tell you if you need to complete another one or more of the other tutorials first. I will use as many screenshots as I can and try to make it as simple as possible.

Keep coming back here as I'll be adding content as much as I can!

Table of Contents:

1. Rooting your Vox (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: critical)
2. Unrooting your Vox (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: ???)
3. Removing unwanted apps manually (Expersise: Intermediate, Importance: moderate)

Coming soon:
4. Removing unwanted apps automatically (Expertise: Beginner, Importance: moderate)
Kraftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #74
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftie View Post
Your instructions are clear and easy to follow but with all due respect, (and as a complete and utter noob) I'm just wondering how rooting the device makes it better. Does it improve functionality and if so, how?
Well, for example if you want android market access and don't want to resort to adb, you need to root. And that's just one example.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #75
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Another is that it gives you access to remove the bloater apps it comes with that you don't want/use that take up space that could otherwise be used for apps you do use.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote