Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #16
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Aura One
not quite, before your step one, you need to install KSM itself, the KSM08_ext_aura_one_02c.zip is just some extra stuff after you install the main KSM package.

you need to go here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266821, download KBStartMenu_08.zip from the attachment and follow first time installation instructions which are written in the same post, first quote section
hkckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Strictly speaking a .targz should be renamed to a .tar.gz The file is actually a tarball that has been compressed using gzip.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #18
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
CBZ files that are processed by the Kindle Comic Converter work fine in KOReader on my Kobo AuraHD.
the program itself works, but aside from reducing file size if your images are very high-res and turning color comics to b&w automatically, it wont solve the problem that OP posed. KCC will just resize images to fit the screen size of your device, but if the images are too tall (which most comics are, I read hundreds of them and not one was a perfect fit on my screen), to fill the screen 100%, the program will just fill the empty space with white on both left and right side of every comic page. the same effect can be achieved if you are just reading your comics using nickel.

which is a shame, if someone does that. I bought KA1 because of the screen real estate and if I am reading comic/manga, I want to use 100% of the screen for content. koreader allows this. it can fit the content to width (even white space/border of comic pages wil be automatically removed) and you can easily scroll down the page with single tap on screen.

the only thing that bugs me is that some comics have a lot of black borders and the "fit to width" zoom option doesnt ignore black color, only white, so I have to edit such comics manually.

//oh, one more thing that is fairly usable in KCC, the auto splitting of double pages

Last edited by hkckoo; 10-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
For the record .tar.gz is the same as: .tgz

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
holysmoer
Enthusiast
holysmoer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkckoo View Post
not quite, before your step one, you need to install KSM itself, the KSM08_ext_aura_one_02c.zip is just some extra stuff after you install the main KSM package.

you need to go here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266821, download KBStartMenu_08.zip from the attachment and follow first time installation instructions which are written in the same post, first quote section
So final guide is:

1) install KSM8 from this page follow the guide.

2) install the specific extra version for KA1 from this page. Eject safely and disconnect.

3) Extract the lastest koreader nightly version into the .adds directory of device.

Finish. Is it finally correct?

Last edited by holysmoer; 10-27-2016 at 12:54 PM.
holysmoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 AM   #21
hkckoo
Connoisseur

on step two, after ejecting and disconnecting, you have to handle the update in KSM menu. click on "handle update", then click on "install update" and wait untill the reader reboots.
then connect it to your PC again and either through "star nickel" in KSM menu or click in KSM menu on usb - usb enable (this will also make the connection to your PC).
here you can proceed to step 3.
after copying the koreader folder to .adds directory, you will see in KSM menu below "star nickel" and option called "start koreader"
Old 10-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #22
holysmoer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkckoo View Post
on step two, after ejecting and disconnecting, you have to handle the update in KSM menu. click on "handle update", then click on "install update" and wait untill the reader reboots.
then connect it to your PC again and either through "star nickel" in KSM menu or click in KSM menu on usb - usb enable (this will also make the connection to your PC).
here you can proceed to step 3.
after copying the koreader folder to .adds directory, you will see in KSM menu below "star nickel" and option called "start koreader"
Old 10-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #23
crimsonsnow
Enthusiast
crimsonsnow began at the beginning.

Device: Yotaphone 2, Kobo Aura, FBReader
Hello,

If you use Koreader to read cbz/cbr/pdf, one of the features I rather like is the crop feature. Usually "auto" work fine for me in my Aura (not really picky with white/black lines), but to do finetuning you can also use semi-auto, or even manual and slides the boundary. I don't know what the result will be in you cbz/cbr files though (satisfactory/ not), but maybe you can try if this can help.

If not, you can also unzip/ unrar the cbz/cbr files and bulk resize the images, then unzip/ unrar them back. If you have programming chops, you can make a shell/ batch script to do this. If you want to do this automatically for every file coming in a folder, you can use something like folderaction (Win) or Automator (Mac).

Last edited by crimsonsnow; 10-28-2016 at 05:15 PM.
crimsonsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:54 PM   #24
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Many thanks to all for sharing this information. Just installed koreader on my KA1 and my Kobo Aura. And I'm not exactly technically savvy.

Wow! Kind of wish now that I hadn't given away my Aura HD. Suddenly reading PDFs is a pleasurable experience.

Would still like a 13 inch ereader with decent specs put out by a reputable company. However, in the meantime, this will suffice quite nicely.

Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:36 AM   #25
holysmoer
Enthusiast

The only thing that make me angry is. that user that want to see for example comics in a good way, just have to make all this stuff and canno't have like an official release :-/
Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoer View Post
The only thing that make me angry is. that user that want to see for example comics in a good way, just have to make all this stuff and canno't have like an official release :-/
The explanation that I once receives was that eInk ereaders are a niche market and the majority of comics are being read on tablets, laptops or other large screen colour LCD devices. Catering to the >5% is not fiscally worthwhile.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:04 AM   #27
holysmoer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The explanation that I once receives was that eInk ereaders are a niche market and the majority of comics are being read on tablets, laptops or other large screen colour LCD devices. Catering to the >5% is not fiscally worthwhile.
Well maybe it was correct if talked about 6 inches screen...but KA1 have 7.8 near to tablet! Also the cost is high!
And if I can understand about pdf,heavy and some MB,I cannot understand about cbr and cbz,cause they are open very fast in Kobo.
The only point is to keep the size someone choose to read and the same position on the screen (now I have to move with fingers every page in the right place,if I resize larger the comic).