Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #46
Kraftie
Kraftie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Blackberry Curve 8330
Question Identifying a true public domain e-book?

Is there a reliable way to tell if a book in my collection is legitimately free/public domain? I have hundreds that I received from friends who told me they were "free" books. I have since come to learn that some are DRM protected and clearly NOT intended for royalty free sharing.
Kraftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftie View Post
Is there a reliable way to tell if a book in my collection is legitimately free/public domain? I have hundreds that I received from friends who told me they were "free" books. I have since come to learn that some are DRM protected and clearly NOT intended for royalty free sharing.
Break your list down by author and do a Google search or search public domain sites like Gutenberg Canada.

Note: many websites (like Gutenberg and Wikipedia) are down for the day protesting SOPA / PIPA.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftie View Post
If the author died more than 50 years ago (currently, that means in 1961 or earlier), the book is in the Canadian public domain. If the author died after 1961 (or is still alive) the book is more than likely still protected by copyright.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #49
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What exactly is the difference between this library and Project Gutenberg?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #50
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What exactly is the difference between this library and Project Gutenberg?
For the most part, *much* better formatting. In some cases *beautiful* formatting. Depends on whether you just want the words, or you appreciate a well edited ebook.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So people just take Gutenberg works and make it look better?

I thought there was a way to submit fixes and changes to Project Gutenberg.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #52
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

If you think it's pointless, don't use it. Your loss.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #53
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:

Once a book is released on Gutenberg, there are seldom any changes made. I'm not putting them down. I use Gutenberg and have contributed my time to edit books, but the difference between here and there are committed editors who work on a single edition at a time *and* are willing to go back and make changes.

Compare HarryT's Dickens to what you find on Gutenberg.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #54
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Once a book is released on Gutenberg, there are seldom any changes made. I'm not putting them down. I use Gutenberg and have contributed my time to edit books, but the difference between here and there are committed editors who work on a single edition at a time *and* are willing to go back and make changes.

Compare HarryT's Dickens to what you find on Gutenberg.
Another thing to note is that Gutenberg's EPUB, etc. formats are all auto-generated from the HTML version... while their script generally does a very good job (sometimes better than Calibre, in my opinion), many of the EPUBs could still use some hand editing: replacement of rescaled images with higher quality copies, stylesheet tweaking (H2 doesn't need to generate a page break when in an EPUB), separation of sections into individual files etc.

Last edited by hwlester; 03-14-2013 at 10:38 PM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #55
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I will definitely keep that in mind, and check here first when I want Gutenberg books, then.

Thanks for explaining the difference!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #56
Hope207
Hope207 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you so much this was just what I needed! Now to go crazy downloading all these great e-books
Hope207 is offline   Reply With Quote