View Poll Results: The New Kindles -- Like'em or Hate'em
Like'em 141 66.82%
Hate'em 13 6.16%
Still deciding 57 27.01%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #61
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I can respect a company's need for new features, and new models. They are indeed interesting, and impressive - but my hope is that they don't get TOO carried away, and still retain the basic models. I'd love to know that a few years down the road, should the need for a new e-reader arise, I won't have too much trouble finding something similar to the one I already really love. I really would love to see that some companies keep the dedicated singular use of books as the function of e-readers.

I have never yet used a tablet or a mobile phone, but I can see the growing popularity of all that, but I hope to see the basics remain for a good long time.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I have never yet used a tablet or a mobile phone, but I can see the growing popularity of all that, but I hope to see the basics remain for a good long time.
You've never used a mobile phone?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #63
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
I am liking the new Paperwhite version although a little skeptical on the 'white' screen as oppose to they grey I currently have on my Kindle 3.

Will this be 'too in your face'?

When the light is off, does it revert back to the greyscale of the previous generations?

Would a US version work over here in the UK?
The light is adjustable. If it's like the nook, you can dial it down until it's almost unnoticeable in regular light. It just makes the background seem a little lighter.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #64
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've never used a mobile phone?
Never. We've simply never needed one. We have our home phone, and my husband has a desk job - I am an at-home wife/mom, and we communicate on the internet all day, so to have one is a superfluous expense. It's never been on a list of things that we need. I can see other people's need or want for them, but we just have so much else, that it's not on our radar

We're one of those rare couples for whom all the benefits of a cell phone already exist in our home in other formats. (Internet, apps, games, etc). I'm simply not an "on the go" person. Were that structure of our lives to change however, we'd re-evaluate our need.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #65
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I think if I didn't already have a Kindle I would be tempted by a Paperwhite (well when they eventually get released to the UK). I think it is a much more impressive set of models than the very "meh" 4th gen touch models they pushed out last year. I certainly like the magnetic on/off cover, the increased screen resolution, the built-in lighting and the "time to read" stuff might be interesting for a while rather than me spending brain cycles computing it. Smaller and lighter than my KK, a lot of things to like for me, so I wouldn't rate their announcement as a "complete meh".

But no page turn buttons is just a complete and total showstopper for me as for a few others on this thread. You also might expect (though of course yet to be confirmed) that they will continue their lockdown of the collection data files. Which means calibre integration will be as sucky as it is for K4T owners.

Maybe next year they will remember there are people who like physical page turn buttons...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Never. We've simply never needed one. We have our home phone, and my husband has a desk job - I am an at-home wife/mom, and we communicate on the internet all day, so to have one is a superfluous expense. It's never been on a list of things that we need. I can see other people's need or want for them, but we just have so much else, that it's not on our radar
My main reason for having one would be if I broke down somewhere in my car - to be able to get help.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #67
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My main reason for having one would be if I broke down somewhere in my car - to be able to get help.
Makes sense. We don't have a car either. I have never driven one. My husband takes a bus pass to work.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fair enough.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #69
spindlegirl
Wizard

Some people's life structure is suitable to do without various things. I'm kind of glad to live in an area with decent public transit. The cost of a car is ghastly, insurance, maintenance, gasoline, parking. A monthly adult bus pass costs less than some folks spend on gasoline per week alone. With a large household we have to trim down expenses where we can.

We also buy books of bus tickets for those of us who don't use a monthly pass, which reduces the "per trip" fare by a good 50c per ride, and a transfer is time stamped and is good in any direction. That means if I had to take a short trip to just pick something up, I would only need to use one ticket. For a total cost of 90c each way.

well, this is about as as one can get.... move along
Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #70
realracer2
realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I will miss my buttons, and the SD card in my Kindle 1, but I ordered a Kindle Paperwhite.

Last edited by realracer2; 09-07-2012 at 09:15 AM.
realracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #71
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Some people's life structure is suitable to do without various things. I'm kind of glad to live in an area with decent public transit. The cost of a car is ghastly, insurance, maintenance, gasoline, parking. A monthly adult bus pass costs less than some folks spend on gasoline per week alone. With a large household we have to trim down expenses where we can.

We also buy books of bus tickets for those of us who don't use a monthly pass, which reduces the "per trip" fare by a good 50c per ride, and a transfer is time stamped and is good in any direction. That means if I had to take a short trip to just pick something up, I would only need to use one ticket. For a total cost of 90c each way.

well, this is about as as one can get.... move along
my goal is also to be able to someday live in a walkable city i don't like driving. already traumatized by my family's driving and general recklessness here in Manila
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #72
spindlegirl
Wizard

While I would most definitely miss the physical page turn buttons (and the physical menu/operation buttons too!), if it ever came down to necessity as the closest option to what I have now, I'd choose a paperwhite. But I am hoping the Kindle 4s stay around.

I hope a company as smart as Amazon would know that there is a definite ongoing market for both.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #73
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
LOVE them.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The only new Kindle I'm interested in is the Kobo Mini
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #75
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The only new Kindle I'm interested in is the Kobo Mini
Thanks, Jon.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote