Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I've had my 650 for a few weeks - my thoughts

I've had my 650 for a few weeks now, and I've made some notes on how I've found it so far, and posted them here:

http://dminoz.posterous.com/so-ive-h...weeks-now#more

Last edited by dminoz; 10-27-2010 at 08:00 PM.
dminoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Nice review; thanks for posting.

My only disagreement is with the font. I like it.

IMO the Sony Library Software is not as bad as some claim. I've never had a problem with it. As a bonus, it indexes/paginates the books during the transfer, so they open more quickly on the device. You can also drag a Word DOC file to the reader, and the Sony software will convert it to RTF on the fly.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Point taken re the Library Software -- I'll give it a whirl, with some Word Docs. Thanks for that.

Re the default font -- I find it too light and thin, plus it really irks me that the italics aren't real, they're just a "sloped" version of the roman font.

The font that I replace it with (Minion Pro Semibold) is solid and dark, with real (classy, even!) italics.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Frankly, in certain cases I have trouble with the font as well. I've tried adjusting the contrast, but that hasn't helped a lot. In most cases though, reading on the 650 is great.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Yup, I pretty much agree with you - except I'm fine with the font. It's OK. Not awesome, but readable. All in all, I love this reader. I don't regret upgrading from the PRS-300.

That said - the music-playing functionality I find a little counter-intuitive and clunky, especially when I'm listening while reading (which IS half the point, right? Apart from audiobooks?). I can only play multiple mp3s in the same album - but the reader auto-sorts my mp3s based on the album field in the file properties. *sigh* Finally worked out that to get around that, I simply needed to edit the 'album' property in each mp3 to be the name of the playlist I wanted to use it in.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I load podcasts for times I'm just not in the mood to read. Music and audiobooks would be too much of a battery drain.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
dminoz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
That said - the music-playing functionality I find a little counter-intuitive and clunky, especially when I'm listening while reading (which IS half the point, right? Apart from audiobooks?). I can only play multiple mp3s in the same album - but the reader auto-sorts my mp3s based on the album field in the file properties. *sigh* Finally worked out that to get around that, I simply needed to edit the 'album' property in each mp3 to be the name of the playlist I wanted to use it in.
I don't use the music player myself, but what you're saying is exactly the sort of thing that Sony should be looking at improving. The user interface and the ways in which the user can tweak it should be much more based around what people want to do with the Reader in real life.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

To be at all useful, the audio feature really needs: a) folders and b) a resume function (where you left off listening).
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminoz View Post
I don't use the music player myself, but what you're saying is exactly the sort of thing that Sony should be looking at improving. The user interface and the ways in which the user can tweak it should be much more based around what people want to do with the Reader in real life.
I think I'd be happy if I could double-tap on the little musical-note icon at the bottom of the screen to get the music player up on-screen.

You know, I never thought I'd use the music player on an ebook reader, either. "Who the heck wants a book that sings to them?" I used to wonder. Well... me. It's so nice to drown out the people who don't realise there's such a thing as an 'inside voice' on the train.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminoz View Post
The font that I replace it with (Minion Pro Semibold) is solid and dark, with real (classy, even!) italics.
Ah, I find Minion a little too heavy for me. I like the thin cross hatches on the Sony font, but I do read at a larger size than most people (usually Medium).
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Nice review; thanks for posting.

My only disagreement is with the font. I like it.

IMO the Sony Library Software is not as bad as some claim. I've never had a problem with it. As a bonus, it indexes/paginates the books during the transfer, so they open more quickly on the device. You can also drag a Word DOC file to the reader, and the Sony software will convert it to RTF on the fly.
Wow didn't know that.. I wonder how Calibre compares? (indexing)
on my mac version of Calibre word docs have difficulty, but word docs and rtf don't have chapter markers..so I use epub
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #12
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
To be at all useful, the audio feature really needs: a) folders and b) a resume function (where you left off listening).
...and a speed up/slow down function for audio book listening. I often listen to audio books at 1.5x speed.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

To be honest, I wouldn't try an actual book on a 650 as the audio function really sucks up the juice fast!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #14
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't try an actual book on a 650 as the audio function really sucks up the juice fast!
Does it? I haven't had mine long, but I was expecting something like 1.5 weeks without audio, 2 days with audio used at least half the time I spend reading. I've been experimenting for a day now (about 4-5 hours solid reading I guess? 3 of that with audio playing) and the battery indicator hasn't changed.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #15
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Nice review indeed.

I've noticed some sluggishness with cold weather as well. But that resolved itself very quickly once I was inside and warm again.

I like the font, the only thing I have a problem with for some reason are points and commas. They look the same to me sometimes, especially when I'm tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
I haven't had mine long, but I was expecting something like 1.5 weeks without audio, 2 days with audio used at least half the time I spend reading.
My battery lasted about 2,5 weeks (reading 2 to 3 hours a day, no audio but lots of experimenting in the first couple of days). I charged it when I had one bar left, so I guess it would have lasted another couple of days.

The audio function is the only thing I don't use and never intend to use. I have my iPod for music, my reader for reading. I'm also one of those people who can't listen to music whilst reading. It just distracts me, and then I can't enjoy either the book or the music.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote