Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Have you got it to work on your unit ? I have 5.3.1 and it did not work. I guess it will work on firmware 5.3.0 I've heard but not 5.3.1.
I can only get to non-jailbroke as far as I get with a factory reset. Which puts the device back to 5.3.1 for me. Impossible for me to reapply the update to 5.3.1 again, as it already is at 5.3.1 after factory resetting.

It works just as before after a restart of the Kindle. But I cannot 100% say that remneants of the JB are still around influencing the USE_ALT_FONTS.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I can only get to non-jailbroke as far as I get with a factory reset. Which puts the device back to 5.3.1 for me. Impossible for me to reapply the update to 5.3.1 again, as it already is at 5.3.1 after factory resetting.

It works just as before after a restart of the Kindle. But I cannot 100% say that remneants of the JB are still around influencing the USE_ALT_FONTS.
I was mistaken. Even though it said it was on 5.3.1, it let me install the update anyway. And yes, even afterwards i can use USE_ALT_FONTS on a fresh 5.3.1 not-jailbroke.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
I was mistaken. Even though it said it was on 5.3.1, it let me install the update anyway. And yes, even afterwards i can use USE_ALT_FONTS on a fresh 5.3.1 not-jailbroke.
Thats interesting I'm wondering if you are still jail broken to some degree. I and many others tried it on 5.3.1 non jail broken units and no go. There is a thread in the developer section about it.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Thats interesting I'm wondering if you are still jail broken to some degree. I and many others tried it on 5.3.1 non jail broken units and no go. There is a thread in the developer section about it.
It is possible that I did not completely remove the jail break. All I know is that neither CM nor JBatch were able to start up any more - already not after factory reset and also after reinstalling 5.3.1 update. The real interesting thing - right after removing jail-break the fonts were gone. All back to stock. It took only putting back fonts folder and USE_ALT_FONTS files back and one restart through menu to work.

What I do remember though, that at first the USE_ALT_FONTS appeared to have failed - at that time I was unfortunately already jail-broke. It would not work after first restart. Not sure how many times it took until it worked. One time it did not work, and next time without me changing any files it worked (through the menu restart).

It might take a while for indexer to catch up? Try removing all books - restart - add fonts and flag - restart. And see if it works then?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
As alternative to embedding a font into a KF8 file, you could also install a custom font on the PW that will be available on all books as part of the regular font-selection screen. This includes old mobi and new mobi (KF8) files. All you need to do are these steps:
Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a set of the fonts for the PW? I'd like to see how they look installed on a Touch using 5.3.2. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You can extract them from the official 5.3.1 update.bin using kindletool.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a set of the fonts for the PW? I'd like to see how they look installed on a Touch using 5.3.2. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I do not think posting them would be a good idea for copyright reasons anyway.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #23
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
But how?
kindletool-v1.5.6-mingw:
kindletool.exe extract update_kindle_5.3.1.bin update_kindle_5.3.1
does not extract any font folder in output
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudod View Post
But how?
kindletool-v1.5.6-mingw:
kindletool.exe extract update_kindle_5.3.1.bin update_kindle_5.3.1
does not extract any font folder in output

You'll find rootfs.img.gz which is gzip-compressed and should be unpacked to rootfs.img by some archiver. Then you should mount rootfs.img which is image of ext3 filesystem. Then you should look for fonts in mounted image.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Why bother with all these font hacks? I find Helvetica 6 on the PW perfect for my eyes. I'd suggest trying that one first before even thinking about hacking the fonts.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Why bother with all these font hacks? I find Helvetica 6 on the PW perfect for my eyes. I'd suggest trying that one first before even thinking about hacking the fonts.
Just because you prefer it over the other font choices doesn't mean the rest of us on the planet do! Sheesh
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I have 5.3.1. Never jailbroken (won't) and adding the fonts using USE_ALT_FONTS worked just perfectly from the get-go.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Why bother with all these font hacks?
because it's fun?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It works just find with software version 5.3.3 installed. And I didn't have to try to do any jail breaking, just the steps outlined on page 1. A very simple thing indeed.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It works just find with software version 5.3.3 installed. And I didn't have to try to do any jail breaking, just the steps outlined on page 1. A very simple thing indeed.
You'll find lots of info at the font thread about custom fonts, how many you can add, what looks good, what program to use to fix font families...etc
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote