Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-13-2023, 01:32 AM   #1
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Question How to show comments in a column?

How can I show comments (the blurb under neath metadata info in teh book pane) in a column?

I saw thread Show comments in column but it is inconclusive. - Does this mean it is not possible to show the comments in a column?
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:07 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by halloleo View Post
How can I show comments (the blurb under neath metadata info in teh book pane) in a column?

I saw thread Show comments in column but it is inconclusive. - Does this mean it is not possible to show the comments in a column?
I reinstated my deleted screenshot in that thread.

A long text column value (multi-line text, image, etc) won't fit into in a single-line book list cell.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-13-2023 at 02:17 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A long text column value (multi-line text, image, etc) won't fit into in a single-line book list cell.
Thanks BetterRed. So, does this means, there's no way to show the comment (maybe stripped of newlines and images) in a column?
Old 11-13-2023, 09:36 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, does this means, there's no way to show the comment (maybe stripped of newlines and images) in a column?
None that I know of. It may be possible via a virtual column using some of the recently introduced template functions.

And, maybe there'll be a way with the upcoming Notes feature.

BR
Old 11-13-2023, 11:55 PM   #5
halloleo
Groupie

Quote:
And, maybe there'll be a way with the upcoming Notes feature.
This sounds very promising indeed!

The reason is: For my own comments (not the default comments from the downloaded metadata) I use a text field (which I can put into a column), but maybe the Notes functionality might make this field obsolete.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:19 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
This sounds very promising indeed!

The reason is: For my own comments (not the default comments from the downloaded metadata) I use a text field (which I can put into a column), but maybe the Notes functionality might make this field obsolete.
On reflection the new Notes feature is not going to do what you want… it is about attaching notes to column values, like tags, authors, series, publisher etc - e.g. a note about the publisher Hachette might say it's French, and contain a link to its website.

Why do you need to see your 'comments' in the book list, can't they be encapsulated in a couple of tags, and a rating?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-14-2023 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:18 AM   #7
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Maybe I missed something but to show the blurb in the listscreen, I create a custom column like "Blurb" and {comment}. I prefer to show only an icon. In that case the full blurb text will be shown when the mouse is over the icon.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:32 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
Maybe I missed something but to show the blurb in the listscreen, I create a custom column like "Blurb" and {comment}. I prefer to show only an icon. In that case the full blurb text will be shown when the mouse is over the icon.
I'd forgotten that, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-14 183003.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	204691

I don't normally have hold of the mouse.

BR
Old 11-14-2023, 02:41 AM   #9
halloleo
Groupie

Quote:
[...] I create a custom column like "Blurb" and {comment}.
Thanks. That's going into the direction I want it.

Quote:
I prefer to show only an icon. In that case the full blurb text will be shown when the mouse is over the icon.
Cool idea! Might try that.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:20 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I'd forgotten that, viz:

Attachment 204691

I don't normally have hold of the mouse.
And I had to enable booklist tooltips, it's in Prefs->L&f->General.

BR
Old 11-16-2023, 03:18 AM   #11
halloleo
Groupie

Quote:
And I had to enable booklist tooltips, it's in Prefs->L&f->General.
I think I found it: In my version (My computer supports only 6.11) it's under Look & feel -> "Main interface" -> checkbox "Show tooltips in the booklist".

Thanks for the pointer.

Tags
calibre, column, comments