Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
alphane
alphane began at the beginning.

Device: PB622
Unhappy pbsshd on PB622: ssh not working! (but scp is)

[SOLVED] Hi, I can't get it to work and it such a pity it would be great. Is it not working on PB622 or have problems with port opening on my PC? (I know nothing about that).

I have the following information errors (which is not much):

PC (Konsole)
Code:
No route to host
PB622 (Log file)
Code:
/mnt/ext1/applications/pb_sshd/usr/sbin/sshd: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /mnt/ext1/applications/pb_sshd/usr/sbin/sshd)
/usr/local/etc/sshd_config: No such file or directory

NB: /usr/local/ does not exist and I do not have the privileges to create it!

Could anyone help ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by alphane; 08-19-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Solved
alphane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The first line about libcrypto.so is normal, and doesn't indicate an error. The second line about sshd_config is definitely an error message. Are you using the pb_sshd package I uploaded here a few years ago? If so, are you starting it using the sshd_start.app in the applications directory? That app file specifies the location of sshd_config to be in the /mnt/ext1/applications/pb_sshd/etc/ssh/ directory, so I don't see why it would be looking in /usr/local/. Can you give some more details about what you did to install the sshd daemon?

That package works on my 902 and 623, so it should work on your 622.

P.S. If you want a shell program, you should try the utelnetd package provided in this forum. The shell is much nicer than the one you get using ssh.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
alphane

Quote:
Are you using the pb_sshd package I uploaded here a few years ago? If so, are you starting it using the sshd_start.app in the applications directory? That app file specifies the location of sshd_config to be in the /mnt/ext1/applications/pb_sshd/etc/ssh/ directory, so I don't see why it would be looking in /usr/local/. Can you give some more details about what you did to install the sshd daemon?

That package works on my 902 and 623, so it should work on your 622.

P.S. If you want a shell program, you should try the utelnetd package provided in this forum. The shell is much nicer than the one you get using ssh.
After many, many, many tests ... I think to give up for now. There is no understanding why it won't work.

About pb_sshd, the answer to your first two questions is yes. And I followed the instructions in the READ ME to install it, that is:
- unzip the whole (start and stop app and pb_sshd directory) in /mnt/ext1/applications
- cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub >> [PB622]/applications/pb_sshd/etc/ssh/authorized_keys2
and that's it !
Why it's looking where it's looking I couldn't see either!

On the PC side.

For ssh, I get "No route to host" mostly, but also sometimes "Connection refused". And never once got connected...

For scp, mostly it works but only once at a time ! Meaning that I have to restart pb_start between each operation !?

And, more bafling of all, unelnetd, gives always either "No route to host" or "Connection refused". Except once (!!) when it worked : I even could use find -thank you about that- So, because of that one time, I know it is not an iptables trouble...

I have no inkling to what the problem could be or what to look for. If you have any advice ... it would be nice. I would try later.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
alphane

Sorry I had forgotten. Once I got that answer for my ssh command (see attachment). It doesn't help me, but ...
Attached Files
File Type: txt ssh_answer-on-PC.txt (5.6 KB, 248 views)
Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphane View Post
Sorry I had forgotten. Once I got that answer for my ssh command (see attachment). It doesn't help me, but ...
It looks like debug mode is enabled in sshd_start.app (i.e. "-q" was replaced by "-d" in the list of options passed to sshd). In that mode, the daemon always exits after the first connection is finished.
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard

It sounds like your device could be getting different IP addresses from the DHCP server each time it starts up the WiFi connection. If you were using the wrong IP address on the PC, that would explain the "No route to host" error messages.

If you get the sh_ivtool package from the Developer section and install it to /mnt/ext1/system/bin, edit the applications/sshd_start.app script to uncomment the "#SH_IVTOOL=.." line, then sshd should pop up a dialog saying what IP address and port that it is listening to. That way, you know what address to point scp/ssh at on your PC.

I'm also adding the same functionality to the utelnetd package. I should have that download ready shortly after this.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
alphane

Quote:
It looks like debug mode is enabled in sshd_start.app (i.e. "-q" was replaced by "-d" in the list of options passed to sshd). In that mode, the daemon always exits after the first connection is finished.
I forgot to set debug off and anyway I didn't know it had such side-effect. Thanks.

Quote:
edit the applications/sshd_start.app script to uncomment the "#SH_IVTOOL=.." line, then sshd should pop up a dialog saying what IP address and port that it is listening to.
I can't find any such line in sshd_start.app script. I downloaded pbsshd.zip from 1st post of the thread "ssh shell/ftp access for PocketBook Pro readers". Is there another version ?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

Doh! I just updated the zip file found in the first post. I had made the change a long time ago for someone else, but forgot to upload it to this forum.

You only have to copy over the applications/sshd_start.app script to your device from the zip file. All the other files are the same as before.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #9
alphane

Thank you. I will do that.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
alphane

I changed the sshd_start and twice I got the right IP address (PB622) and port number (1124). And twice the PC got connected ... but the connection closed! And this time no debug option caused it. Too bad : I thought it solved !!

I upload the answer on PC but it's nearly identical to the other except the line about the key: id_rsa. So, only if that as meaning, there is nothing new, other than what is not the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ssh_qst&answer-on-PC_2.txt (5.7 KB, 250 views)
Old 06-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

Try using the "-T" option with ssh on your PC:

> ssh -p 1124 -T sreader@192.168.1.13
Old 08-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
alphane

It's been a long time as I had to drop the issue but I found my BIG mistake. So in case it comes to help someone else:
I thought you had to give the command after at newline maybe after a prompt, but it's not like that. You have to give the command on the ssh line after the device address. And so, contrary to what I thought : it works !

Some say it's never to late, so : thanks very much for your help rkomar...
Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard

Yes, the terminal is not a very good one with ssh (no prompt, no command-line history or editing, cannot run vi editor,...). That is why I mostly use utelnetd now instead of ssh for a command-line shell. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you figured out your problem.