Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #226
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
new user salsaguy says hi

Hi all. New here. Love this thread/forum and my new Fire. Got it on day 2.
Lots of good info here. I already figured out how to sideload apps from reading other articles online. Really glad we can do this.

I will add my own list of must have apps/best apps for the Fire here:
(not some / most are sideloaded and some are from AZ store)

1Mobile Market - to get all the apps you cant from the Amazon store

Alchemy - great game app. addicting

Aldiko - great ePub reader so you can read more books from your local library instead of just the Kindle versions which are not as prevalent

Dropbox - to give you more cloud storage for your fire than just the 5 MB that AZ does

Enhanced Email - to quickly check your email. The Fire is a great tool and easy and light when you dont want to lug yoru laptop around the house.

ES File Explorer must have to sideload apps and manage files on your Fire
ES Task Manager - kill those pesky apps that dont exit
ES Security Manager = scan for issues

The real Facebook mobile app - not the one installed by AZ on your fire

Opera Mobile - great alt web browser compared to Silk

Overdrive Media Console - to download books from your local library

Pandora - online streaming music

WiFi Analyzer - great to determine if your wifi channel at home is overcrowded so you can switch it on your router to get better reception and to see how good or not your signal is (Fire seems to have a weak receiver compared to my laptop)

Wifi Explorer - to xfer files without the USB cable

WiFi Turn On/Off - must have to quickly turn off the wifi before going to bed

YouTube - the real app
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #227
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

screen filter

I too have been looking for screen filter but cant find it
your dropbox link is now invalid
Ive read the screen filter does cause issues with other apps and websites though so not sure if I want to install it or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #228
salsaguy
Addict

US Newspapers

yes great app. I want to add the Finance Section for Yahoo to track my stocks
how do I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Found a nice app and it's free on Amazon. Called US Newspapers. It's basically a list of links to the paper/magazine websites. But if you hit the menu, you can also add your own favorite links.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Carol
Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #229
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I too have been looking for screen filter but cant find it
your dropbox link is now invalid
Ive read the screen filter does cause issues with other apps and websites though so not sure if I want to install it or not
You can get it here.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #230
salsaguy
Addict

MoboPlayer

I had downloaded that MoboPlayer to my fire but for some reason it wanted to try and use it to be the default reader for my ebooks so I had to uninstall it as it didnt work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
A good alternate video player is MoboPlayer 1.2.176. It plays a lot of different formats including Quicktime. It uses the FFmpeg decoder so you don't have to convert your video files for most formats. You can download from the Moboplayer website.
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #231
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I had downloaded that MoboPlayer to my fire but for some reason it wanted to try and use it to be the default reader for my ebooks so I had to uninstall it as it didnt work for me
That is rather odd since it doesn't read ebooks at all, it only plays video. Perhaps one of our Android gurus can help you sort it out.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #232
salsaguy
Addict

podcaster app

what is the best podcasting app that works like the itunes podcast one where I can download to my Fire and play on my fire.
I have the streaming ones but want one that can download as well
I subscribe to a few podcasts and would like to just bring my Fire to work instead of both Fire and iPod Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You mean like podcast feeds? I noticed that. I am currently testing two apps for podcasts. One is paid and one is free. Beyondpod and Doggcatcher.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #233
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
what is the best podcasting app that works like the itunes podcast one where I can download to my Fire and play on my fire.
I have the streaming ones but want one that can download as well
I subscribe to a few podcasts and would like to just bring my Fire to work instead of both Fire and iPod Touch
The two mentioned does both. BeyondPod has just submitted their app to Amazon. So if you wait a bit you can buy it there. I am using DoggCatcher. There is no trial but it's a great app for the Price if you are into podcasts. BeyondPod does have a free version with some limits but it will give you idea if you want the paid version or not.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #234
salsaguy
Addict

Spam on Fire from apps

So has anyone gotten any Spam on their Fire yet using Apps not from the AZ store? I did and not sure which app did it and trying to get the spam off.
I ran a scan with one of the scanners but found no issues
I was getting daily notifications / ads in my notifications bar. I will post some info later. I never click on them but its annoying
Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #235
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
So has anyone gotten any Spam on their Fire yet using Apps not from the AZ store? I did and not sure which app did it and trying to get the spam off.
I ran a scan with one of the scanners but found no issues
I was getting daily notifications / ads in my notifications bar. I will post some info later. I never click on them but its annoying
I've never gotten spam from any app I have installed on my phone which is more vulnerable or the Fire.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #236
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
yes great app. I want to add the Finance Section for Yahoo to track my stocks
how do I do that?
When in the app, hit the menu button, then the + button. You can add the URL there and give it a name.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #237
salsaguy
Addict

Ok did that but it looks like it goes thru a review process to add your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
When in the app, hit the menu button, then the + button. You can add the URL there and give it a name.

Carol
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #238
Dolorous Edd
Dolorous Edd began at the beginning.

Device: K3/Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You can get it here if you don't mind a non Market source.
Thanks
Dolorous Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #239
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
Have been trying to download MoboPlayer 1.2.176 from http://androiddev.orkitra.com. It will download between 300k and 700k and give file done message. Any one know of other location to download to pc to side load?

Thanks
Mark
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #240
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Ok did that but it looks like it goes thru a review process to add your own.
I just tried it again. I get a window that has a spot for me to enter the Newspaper Name and one to enter the URL. Then 2 buttons. One for OK and one to Cancel.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote