Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
shaviro
shaviro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Problem with a few pdfs on Kindle

Most of the time, when I put pdf files on my Kindle DX, everything is fine -- it is quite readable. However, every once in a while -- maybe 5% of the time -- I have a strange problem. The pdf file looks normal on my computer, but on the Kindle it comes out with different sentences or different lines in different fonts and sizes -- as a result it is unreadable, the changes are too distracting.

So I am wondering if anyone can tell me why this happens, and what I can do about it? I have been unable to determine any common factor among the pdf files that do not render correctly. They all look normal on my computer screen, and when I look at the metadata there is no common factor among the files that fail to render correctly on the Kindle.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions?

thanks.
shaviro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
jaunty
jaunty began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I too have a pdf problem. Up to now it has always worked fine, but I have transferred by USB a very large pdf that also contains pictures. It takes quite a while to transfer and appears on the Kindle, but when I open it it has 248 pages, but all contain nothing. Is there a size limit? Or is it an old form of pdf? It works fine on my laptop.
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Most likely one or more of the fonts used are not embedded in the PDFs in question. In that case, the PDF rendering software on Kindle has to substitute a different one, and that will cause some ugliness.

By contrast, the fonts in question probably exist on your computer, so everything looks okay there.

Google 'PDF font embedding' for more details.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, pdf