Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Duplicate Books on devices

Since this problem exists on both my PaperWhite and my PaperWhite II, I figure I must have screwed up somehow, but I'm more concerned with how to fix it.

I have two books, "A Family Affair" and "Family Affair." At one point, I could open both of them, but at this point I can't tell you if they both opened the same book. I tried to delete them both figuring I would side load the one I wanted and the problem would be gone. (sigh) Guess you know how that turned out. Now, tapping either title will get me a message "Item Not Available", "The item you were reading has been removed and is no longer available on your Kindle." If you long tap on the title, the shown image is the generic Kindle image instead of the book image. It looks like the same menu as any other book, except that "Search This Book" is greyed out. "Remove from Device" has no effect.

Other than a factory reset, is there any solution to this problem? I'd really like to avoid that.

Thanks.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems to be a little more serious than first realized. Although I was able to purchase a book and download it after Amazon's critical update date, I can no longer download content, either by Send to device or by clicking on an item in the cloud view. It greys out the title and adds a queued message below it. No actual activity though even after a restart.

(sigh)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Were they Amazon books or sideloaded books?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IF they are Amazon eBooks then Check & see How many Devices are on the Account. Over 6 & you are Not allowed to Download to another device. Until you remove from another device. Check possible you have an old device that still on the account. IF you do then Delete the device You be good to go
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF they are Amazon eBooks then Check & see How many Devices are on the Account. Over 6 & you are Not allowed to Download to another device. Until you remove from another device. Check possible you have an old device that still on the account. IF you do then Delete the device You be good to go
Katie1,
You can have more than 6 devices. Most big publisher books can only be downloaded to 6 devices.
Some books have unlimited device downloads.
Though you are correct in if you want to put the book on a 7th device, you have to de-register one of the other devices that the book is on.

Also you would need to deregister the old device, not delete.

Note: The kindle apps count as devices.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
Since this problem exists on both my PaperWhite and my PaperWhite II, I figure I must have screwed up somehow, but I'm more concerned with how to fix it.

I have two books, "A Family Affair" and "Family Affair." At one point, I could open both of them, but at this point I can't tell you if they both opened the same book. I tried to delete them both figuring I would side load the one I wanted and the problem would be gone. (sigh) Guess you know how that turned out. Now, tapping either title will get me a message "Item Not Available", "The item you were reading has been removed and is no longer available on your Kindle." If you long tap on the title, the shown image is the generic Kindle image instead of the book image. It looks like the same menu as any other book, except that "Search This Book" is greyed out. "Remove from Device" has no effect.

Other than a factory reset, is there any solution to this problem? I'd really like to avoid that.

Thanks.
That is an odd problem; it sounds like something wrong has happened to the content catalog.

I don't know of any fix other than resetting the database (which is what the factory reset does).

Question: You seem to imply the two books were the same -- I know bad things can happen if your Kindle sees two different ebook files with the same exth 113 (mobi-asin) field. Did you by any chance resend the same book with a slightly modified title metadata. or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
Seems to be a little more serious than first realized. Although I was able to purchase a book and download it after Amazon's critical update date, I can no longer download content, either by Send to device or by clicking on an item in the cloud view. It greys out the title and adds a queued message below it. No actual activity though even after a restart.

(sigh)
Can you still sideload books?

If the problem is only downloading books, then you might just have connectivity issues.
It would also be interesting to know if your Kindle recognizes when books have been purchased (but not sent to that device) and adds them to the Cloud View.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is an odd problem; it sounds like something wrong has happened to the content catalog.

I don't know of any fix other than resetting the database (which is what the factory reset does).

Question: You seem to imply the two books were the same -- I know bad things can happen if your Kindle sees two different ebook files with the same exth 113 (mobi-asin) field. Did you by any chance resend the same book with a slightly modified title metadata. or what?

Can you still sideload books?

If the problem is only downloading books, then you might just have connectivity issues.
It would also be interesting to know if your Kindle recognizes when books have been purchased (but not sent to that device) and adds them to the Cloud View.
Thanks for the feedback, people. I THINK I had a problem like this before, but I'm just not sure, and I couldn't find it in a search. I was hoping that one of the geniuses might have come up with a database repair utility, but... I still haven't given up hope. I need to PM some of my friends in the dev forums.

The book(S) were originally Amazon, but came from my DRMed and mobified Calibre library. I DO change names, but just to trim off extraneous garbage that was added. I can't believe I would trim a part of an actual name, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

The problem downloading was just a fluke; when I got home they downloaded just fine via 3G. (shrugs)

I'll try downloading and side loading again and post my results.

Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
SampleAndy
Addict

'K. Can't download either of them (according to Amazon, they're both in my cloud) cause they are already on the device. Will try sideloading and see what that does.

FWIW, both books now show the same (correct) cover image.

Hmmm... Amazon doesn't realize that Before Midnight (A Nero Wolfe Mystery Book 25) is present on the Kindle as Before Midnight. I wonder if that's significant.
(edit #1) 4/21 added the Hmmm...

Additional... I was able to sideload both books (since somehow, they BOTH were in my library) and they are distinct, although I was unable to see any difference in Calibre. (sigh)
The behavior remains the same. I can't delete either of them, but both of them open just fine and save places distinct in both copies. Help?

Last edited by SampleAndy; 04-23-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added Additional...