Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Can I link sideloaded books to show Amazon's About This Book information?

I posted this elsewhere, but they suggested I ask this here instead for possibly better information. I looked around and hope it's in the right spot.

If I put my own book on the Kindle, can I pull up Amazon's information for that book? I'm not expecting x-ray and word wise info because that seems much more complex, but at least the About this Book information, like the average reading time, reviews and such that shows up in the beginning. I use Calibre so I can handle changing metadata.

I want Amazon to actually recognize which book it is, not just by downloading its metadata in Calibre. Demonstration: this is a sideloaded e-book (with all appropriate metadata downloaded with Calibre). This one I borrowed with Overdrive, appropriately recognized by Amazon and shows all the extra info. I want to do that with my sideloaded books.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
X-Ray Builder - Windows Application

No one has bothered to do a program for the other info, although it is simple XML so it shouldn't be hard... still, reviews/stars/about the book/author doesn't seem to be interesting to a lot of people.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
This one I borrowed with Overdrive, appropriately recognized by Amazon and shows all the extra info. I want to do that with my sideloaded books.
Amazon (or Kindle itself) did't recognize anything, you are getting the same exact ebook file (and x-ray and all the extra files) with the same ASIN as you would if you would buy the book. The difference is in the DRM that for library/Overdrive borrow has expire date (or maybe Amazon is remotely deleting the book on that date?)
Amazon just matched books in Overdrive's catalog to their own catalog when Overdrive support was added for Kindles.

The format for file(s) containing data used for "About the book" "other books from this author" etc is know, it was reverse engineered, but unless there is some Amazon API for getting that "average reading time" info you can't realy get that exact same data. You could probably find somewhere an algorithm for that sort of calculation and write a program to create the files Kindle uses, just like the X-ray builder does. I know it produces files for "About a book" but can't remember what info it contains when compated to Amazon's set of files.

It will be interesting to see how shutting down of Selfari website (which X-ray Builder uses for data extraction) effects the future of X-ray Builder.

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-12-2016 at 07:52 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
> Amazon just matched books in Overdrive's catalog to their own catalog when Overdrive support was added for Kindles

Yeah, I didn't word it well but that's basically what I wanted to do, to force an Amazon match somehow and I hoped to be able to force it easily. No dice, but I'll look into the X-ray builder if I get a chance. That sounds great.

It's of course not terribly important, but I thought it would give a more authentic Amazon experience to the book to have their data laid out.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote