Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #46
jonj678
jonj678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks kenchy. That was enough of a hint that I can now ssh out of the kindle from the command line. Brief instructions for anyone who wants to achieve this:

1/ Install dropbear on a different computer, I used Debian
On the computer:
2/ run "dropbearkey -t rsa -f /tmp/id_rsa"
3/ Copy the public key (echoed to the command line after step 2) to the authorized_keys file on the computer you want access to
4/ Change the very last part of the key to root@kindle
5/ scp /tmp/id_rsa root@kindle-ip:/mnt/us/id_rsa
On the Kindle: "dbclient -i /mnt/us/id_rsa root@server" will now open a shell on the server
jonj678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #47
MacUsers
MacUsers began at the beginning.

One thing I found, not sure if it's a bug or feature: If usbNetwork and WiFi are both on at the same time KindleTERM doesn't work. All I get blank screen for ever.

And from the computer (OS X), that time ssh doesn't work at all; only I can use telnet to log on to kindle. Is anyone seeing these issues too? Cheers!!

Last edited by MacUsers; 08-12-2011 at 07:30 AM.
MacUsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #48
MacUsers
MacUsers began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonj678 View Post
On the Kindle: "dbclient -i /mnt/us/id_rsa root@server" will now open a shell on the server
Or, you to leave you guys with less typing, I wrote a few more lines. Put this little script somewhere in the path; I prefer '/usr/local/bin' and use the script like this:
dbssh <host_name> [port-number is optional]
Attachment 75426

It also works without ssh-key but it prints a "error" if it can't find id_rsa in /etc.
Attachment 75425

Hope it helps. Cheers!!

PS. Just one thing guys: Is there any way to make the font-size a bit bigger?

Last edited by HarryT; 10-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
MacUsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #49
disrupt
disrupt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 3G+WiFi w/ SO
Thank you for making such a great app.

One addition: on my Kindle 3 (3.2.1 firmware) I have to grant the following additional privilege to make it work:

Code:
permission java.awt.AWTPermission "accessEventQueue";
Otherwise it gets stuck after outputting the "Writer started" line.
disrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #50
synchrone
synchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Amazon Kindle 3G
Client hangs on connecting

/mnt/us/developer/KindleTERM/work/crash.log file reports that:
KindleTERM (v. 1)
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Not supported yet.
at kindle.KindleTerminal.getText(KindleTerminal.java: 509)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.k.a(ndb:1567)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KTextArea.processFocu sEvent(aeb:559)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Compiled Method)(Component.java:3056)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Compiled Method)(Container.java:1038)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KTextComponent.proces sEvent(Compiled Method)(zdb:283)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Method)(Component.java:2310)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(Component.java:2197)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Comp iled Method)(KeyboardFocusManager.java:713)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAsse rtions(Compiled Method)(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:676)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent (Compiled Method)(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:409)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Method)(Component.java:2206)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(EventQueue.java:373)
at java.awt.SequencedEvent.dispatch(Compiled Method)(SequencedEvent.java:95)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(EventQueue.java:369)
at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(EventDispatchThread.java:351)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(Compiled Method)(EventDispatchThread.java:164)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Compiled Method)(EventDispatchThread.java:154)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:134)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:1065)

when i'm trying to connect to any host, no matter localhost or from local network via wifi
synchrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #51
synchrone
synchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheesesynchrone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Amazon Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchrone View Post
/mnt/us/developer/KindleTERM/work/crash.log file reports that:
KindleTERM (v. 1)
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Not supported yet.
at kindle.KindleTerminal.getText(KindleTerminal.java: 509)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.k.a(ndb:1567)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KTextArea.processFocu sEvent(aeb:559)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Compiled Method)(Component.java:3056)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Compiled Method)(Container.java:1038)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KTextComponent.proces sEvent(Compiled Method)(zdb:283)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Method)(Component.java:2310)
at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Comp iled Method)(KeyboardFocusManager.java:713)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAsse rtions(Compiled Method)(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:676)
at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent (Compiled Method)(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:409)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Method)(Component.java:2206)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(EventQueue.java:373)
at java.awt.SequencedEvent.dispatch(Compiled Method)(SequencedEvent.java:95)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(EventQueue.java:369)
at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(Compiled Method)(EventDispatchThread.java:351)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(Compiled Method)(EventDispatchThread.java:164)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Compiled Method)(EventDispatchThread.java:154)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:134)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:1065)

when i'm trying to connect to any host, no matter localhost or from local network via wifi
Okay, I got it, the original version from the first post won't work on newer kindles. Pity
synchrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #52
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Only get blank screen with kite on K3G

Hi,

I put the keystore and granted the permission. I launch KindleTerm, but only get a blank screen on my kindle. I have not JB my Kindle but have installed kite and can run many different Kindlets.

Would you please tell me what else should I be doing?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #53
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think from your description that there's nothing that the kindlet can connect to. This is not a stand-alone terminal, but only one half of it: It expects to be able to make a telnet (or SSH, depending on what you use) connection to the kindle itself. This means that either an SSH or a telnet daemon must be running on the Kindle. The "usual" way to archieve this is to install USB networking.

For this, you might need to jailbreak the Kindle, sorry. Anyway, at least temporarily it must have been jailbroken anyway in order to install Kite - it's probably done automatically when installing Kite. Sorry, I've never tried Kite as I don't really need it.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #54
hornpipe2
hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.hornpipe2 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Just now got this working, it's great. Notes:
* If you are having problems connecting, restart your Kindle. Security policy appears to be loaded at boot, so changes you make don't take effect until a restart.

* Use this version, some people may have missed it, but it fixes a button problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArrow View Post
Fixed keycode for FIVE-WAY DOWN button...
* I have added this line to /etc/inittab:
Code:
tn:5:once:/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox telnetd
It lets me use KindleTerm to connect to localhost, but connecting the USB cable switches me to mass-storage mode by default. Best of both worlds (for now).

* Question(s): Where do I put commands to run on login? (.shrc and .profile are not working.) And then, once I have a working profile, how can I get /var/tmp/root persistent across reboots? Symlink to /mnt/us/<folder> would be a cool option except that fat32 is case-insensitive...
hornpipe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #55
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nothing /var/tmp/* is suppose to persist between re-boots. See the FHS documents.

Under Linux (vfat driver) the case-sensitive nature of FAT-32 is determined by mount time options.
Just enter:
mount
to review what options yours is mounted with.

Q:
If files in /var/tmp are not persistent across re-boots, how do you plan to make the sym-link there persistent across re-boots?

Q:
How do you intend to set the special permission flags on the target when the target will be on FAT-32 without support for permission flags?

Last edited by knc1; 08-21-2012 at 12:12 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #56
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
If you have Kindlet knowhow, you could try to port kindleTERM, but you would have to fix the usb drive image showing up when usbnetworking is on.
I don't have Kindlet knowhow, but I'd like to run KindleTERM on my K4NT. I do know Java. Is that something that is achievable?
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #57
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
I don't have Kindlet knowhow, but I'd like to run KindleTERM on my K4NT. I do know Java. Is that something that is achievable?
From what I understand, (and I'm probably wrong here,) the K4 and the K5 use a different Kindlet SDK version. There are some "how to write a kindlet" threads around here, you may want to take a look at those.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #58
drauger
Enthusiast
drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
The only problem is keyboard support. KindleTERM works on K4, but it is useless without keyboard.
drauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #59
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
this kindlet will run on a k4, you need to install the combined developer keystore, then just drop the kindlet in your documents directory. i couldn't get it to do anything useful tho, seemed like it almost wanted to talk to my computer but didn't quite get there.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #60
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
kindleterm working on k4 with remote keyboard

well i've had some luck getting this to do something useful on my k4

i was playing with hawhill's simplified version, from this post. to get it to do anything useful, you need telnetd running, so you should have usbnetworking installed, and then you can either activate usb networking mode, or just start telnetd manually (someone posted the command to do that, somewhere, i don't have it handy tho).

with telnetd running, when you start hawhill's kindlet, you should see the kindle successfully telnetting to itself. there's something temperamental here tho, i don't know why, but sometimes nothing displays. if you press keyboard+back, to refresh the display, you might see more, but perhaps just a couple of scattered characters. if so, press back to exit, then reload the kindlet... keep trying until it just pops up nicely displaying the familiar kindle login.
(if anyone has any idea about this glitch & how to fix it, please let me know!)

of course, having this nice terminal running on your k4 screen is no use if you can't type anything. so, after some fiddling with the config scripts, i managed to compile hawhill's version myself, and then i decided to add the remote keyboard feature from vdp's original kindlet back in. that was simpler than i expected, and as far as i can tell it's all working now!

so i'm attaching my modified kindlet that you can try on your k4 (or other kindle i guess, if you want the remote keyboard). it's still temperamental as described above, so keep trying until it works. i changed the name so i could tell the versions apart while i was testing, so it's KindleTermHD because of the stunning 1080p resolution i managed to squeeze out of the eink display, or because the initials of my username are h.d., i forget which.

i found i needed to tell the kindle to open the port to listen for the remote keyboard:
Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 3333 -j ACCEPT
then as described in the first post, you need a remote_keyboard.properties file in the same place as the kindlet on your computer, containing the kindle's ip and port, eg:
Code:
host 192.168.2.2
port 3333
and you can run the remote keyboard window on your computer with:
Code:
java -cp KindleTermHD.azw2 kindle.RemoteKeyboard
i think that's all the details, but i'm sure it'll become obvious if i've forgotten to mention anything.
so i'm attaching my kindlet, and in case anyone wants the source, i've just zipped up the changes, so i don't have to go back and figure out all the config file changes i made to compile on my computer. it's just a modified TermKindlet.java, and three additional files from vdp's version, that can all be put in the src/kindle directory of hawhill's source version.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote