Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
tfmpoc
retrovisionary
tfmpoc began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
PRS-505: Battery or Screen?

My PRS-505 recently started displaying static vertical and horizontal lines on the screen. I've searched the posts and this probably means a broken screen. But two characteristics give me hope.

Some lines are static but when I change pages I notice that elements from the previous page remain on the current one. When I switch again the elements from the first page are gone but elements from the second page remain on the third.

Also the battery drains *very* quickly. After about 7 page flips it's just about dead.

Could this be indicative of only a bad battery? Might the screen be just fine? I ask because I can't take the expense of changing the battery if I need to buy a new reader anyway.

So, what do y'all say? Shall I just take the bite of a new reader? (which I was hoping to delay until Fall) Or should I take a chance on replacing the battery? (which I can do myself for about $35)

Any and all advice is welcome!
tfmpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

The 505 battery replacement is non-trivial, I bricked half of my buttons from the recent battery upgrade despite being very careful with the controller ribbon cables (search the forum for similar cases). Given the significant screen improvement of the Pearl, plus IR touch screen, PDF split/reflow etc IMO, an upgrade is definitely worthwhile.

just checked the sonystyle site, wow, the 350 is now $129!

Last edited by jakeluck; 01-31-2011 at 02:23 AM.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
tfmpoc
retrovisionary

Ah, a horror story from the trenches. Good to get the warning in advance.

I noticed the price. Sweet! But I only have until 2/14 to make up my mind. Can I convince myself to get a 350 now and the Daily Edition later? But why waste money on a battery if I'm gonna brick what's probably a brick anyway, eh?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
dmf
dmf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
If you have a mains power cable why not try to run the reader from that. If the lines remain, then the screen is toast, if not it's the battery.

jakeluck - I thought I had bricked mine last time I took it apart. Unless you can see damage to the ribbon cables its most likely just a loose connection. Take the clear plastic spacers off the clips, reseat the cables and lock them in place, before replacing the spacers.
dmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf View Post
jakeluck - I thought I had bricked mine last time I took it apart. Unless you can see damage to the ribbon cables its most likely just a loose connection. Take the clear plastic spacers off the clips, reseat the cables and lock them in place, before replacing the spacers.
Yup, I have disassembled/reassembled my 505 5-6 times since, trying various
types of reseat, I even gone as far as cutting 1cm off the front so the contacts will make connection at a different part of the ribbon cable. No Dice. Conspiracy sure suggest some kind of Sony boobytrap, given their past practice, I am not particular surprised.

The good news is that I was able to remap the buttons by modifying PRS+
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115275

Now I found a new use with my Li Polymer upgraded 505, lend your books
to your friend, physically !
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
tfmpoc
retrovisionary

By the way, it was a combination of both. The screen is dead, dead, dead, but the failing battery caused the ghosting I describe. When I ran it from my son's PSP charger the ghosting went away.

Guess I'm off to buy a Daily Edition...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck View Post
Yup, I have disassembled/reassembled my 505 5-6 times since, trying various
types of reseat, I even gone as far as cutting 1cm off the front so the contacts will make connection at a different part of the ribbon cable. No Dice. Conspiracy sure suggest some kind of Sony boobytrap, given their past practice, I am not particular surprised.
Fascinating (as Spock would say), I was planning on replacing my PRS-505 battery until the Pearl generation came out, just because batteries were easily available online and batteries age, so I thought I'd just unscrew the 4 screws on the back, unplug the battery and plug in the new one (the after market ones had a finished connector). I guess I was just naive... Leave it to Sony to make life difficult for everyone. Why should they let us prolong the life of our devices when they can just make us buy new ones from them ? Capitalist pigs !
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Ergo: buy a kindle!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
tfmpoc
retrovisionary

Yeah, that's the solution. By a device whose main purpose is to make you buy books because you can't get ePub or library checkouts on it. Sorry. I did buy that Daily Edition and am enjoying every minute of it.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Ergo: buy a kindle!
Because Amazon aren't greedy capitalist pigs ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote