Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Kobo Aura for Japan region (not yet)

Hope I didn't get anyone's hopes up there. I was interested in getting the Kobo Aura and I live in Japan so I sent off a quick email to Kobo Help and this is their reply:

Quote:
回答 メールを使用(石田 武司) - 2013年09月29日 15:36
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

Unfortunately, we currently do not have plans yet to release kobo Aura in Japan.
This however, does not mean it will never be released in the future.
We aplogize for not being able to provide you with information regarding this issue.

We appreciate your interest in kobo Aura, and your invaluable feedback will be reported to the appropriate department.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again for further assistance.

Best regards,
Kobo Customer Care
http://rakuten.kobobooks.com/help
That sounds to me a lot like "yes it's coming but we're not ready to let the official details sneak out of the bag". I sent them a similar email when the Aura was released and got a much more certain "We have no plans to release the Aura HD in Japan".
So hopefully it's on it's way some time! The new Kindle comes out at the end of October over here but I guess they must feel confident that they can let them release first.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to angel999 for posting this link about Kobo in Japan. My kanji isn't great but it looks like it's coming to Japan in December and for 12,800 which is approximately $128. But that's 3000 yen more expensive than the new Kindle so I think they're making a tactical error. Amazon has a lot going for it as it is never mind with a significantly lower price.

http://kobo.rakuten.co.jp/ereaders/k...r_aura20131017
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Oh I see that if you pre-order from Rakuten it comes with the slip sleep cover included (limited time). Wow that completely changes things. I assume that the cover is a $30-40 value?
That makes it pretty competitive with Amazon. Now do I want to risk getting a bad version?

*edit* Misread the Japanese. It says "sleep" cover, not slip cover.

Last edited by Canuck_in_Japan; 10-17-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Well I just pre-ordered it. Lord, I have no self-control whatsoever. But a $190 value ($214 if you're paying Canada tax) for $130? SOLD!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah, that does seem like a rather good steal. I just wonder if they'll have fixed some of the screen quality issues by then (doubtful) or how good Rakuten's customer care / returns system is. I've never purchased from them, but given how incredible normal Japanese customer service is I'm guessing they're pretty good?
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Yeah, that does seem like a rather good steal. I just wonder if they'll have fixed some of the screen quality issues by then (doubtful) or how good Rakuten's customer care / returns system is. I've never purchased from them, but given how incredible normal Japanese customer service is I'm guessing they're pretty good?
That's a good question and I've got my fingers crossed that I never gave to find out.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I wonder if another firmware update is in the works? According to user tls in another thread, his Aura crashes (or handles poorly, I forget which) when loading Japanese ePubs.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote