Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
chrystyna
chrystyna began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Victoria Times Colonist Recipe Error

The calibre recipe for Victoria Times Colonist done by Nick Redding has worked great for the last few years but it appears Times Colonist has changed the website format about a month ago. The /news/todays-paper/ has gone with an error now. I have tried editing the Ottawa Citizen recipe with no joy.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks
chrystyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
I have a revised recipe that I will post tomorrow
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
chrystyna

Thanks for the fast reply.

Wow thanks. Looking forward to the new recipe.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

New Victoria Times Colonist Recipe

The Victoria Times Colonist is no longer owned by PostMedia and it has changed its website. The attached recipe reflects the new website format.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vic_times.zip (2.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
chrystyna

It might not be working quite right. The recipe looks like it is working and creates a paper file that can be sent to the Kindle but the file cannot be opened. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystyna View Post
It might not be working quite right. The recipe looks like it is working and creates a paper file that can be sent to the Kindle but the file cannot be opened. Any ideas? Thanks
Can you be more specific about how you sent it to your Kindle and what happened when you tried to open it? I just ran the recipe and loaded the file onto my Kindle Fire, and it opens properly. It also opens with Kindle for PC, so I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the file.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
chrystyna

Sorry for being slow on the response when you have been so quick with the great recipe effort. I thought I better test some more. So the issue is on the Kindle 3 Keyboard we have tried it on two different units.

This message appears on two different Kindles:
"The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived items."

To test I did the following:
-used above recipe in Calibre 9.16 64bit received the message above first day, second day it opened with no message but the kindle became very slow and froze then the kindle rebooted on its own. Tjhis happened multiple times. First time in two years the kindle has acted up so related to the Time Colonist file. Next days paper and todays paper the paper would not open on the kindle with the kindle message again.
-Uninstalled 9.16 64bit and installed 9.17 64bit released today with the new recipe installed and removed the custom recipe from above. Same kindle error.
-Created new database and tried a new download of the paper with the same Kindle error.

The only thought I had was the file is 23 mb and usually the paper files are about 6 mb. Maybe just to big for the Kindle?

Cheers
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
chrystyna

Sorry forgot to answer your question above. Calibre automatically sent the new newspaper to the kindle with USB cable attached.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Interesting, I got the same result on my K3 keyboard as well. I'll look into this and report back, there is definitely something strange going on here. BTW it's not the size alone, I can load 25MB files (from other recipes) that work fine. Check back in a few days.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net

Try this revised recipe

It seems the K3 is unstable with some large (> 10MB) files. There is no obvious reason why some large files are OK and others are not.

In the case of the Victoria Times Colonist it looks like the stability threshold is 10 MB. I have attached a revised recipe that omits the images from the download in the case where the output profile is set to Kindle (K1-K3 and Kindle Touch), Kindle DX or Kindle PaperWhite. My guess is these e-ink readers have a lot less memory than the Kindle Fire and hence the issues with large files.

The alternative, if you want the images, is to reduce the number of sections. In the recipe you can remove sections from section_list and set kindle_omit_images = True. I have found my K3 can handle about a dozen sections with images but YMMV.

Note this only applies when your output profile is set to an e-ink Kindle. For all other output profiles the recipe will include images regardless of the value of kindle_omit_images.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vic_times.zip (3.1 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
chrystyna

That worked!! The new recipe reduced the file to 5 mb for the Kindle profile. Sitting at SOFMC at 6 am for the kids hockey practice is allot less painful when I can read the paper. Thanks again.