Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
LordFluffy
LordFluffy began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook
Where to get books?

First off, thanks so much to the people on this thread that are helping us new guys get our Edges working. It's very, very appreciated.

Second, I want to know where are the best places to get books for the Edge.

I've tried following the steps on the Entourage website to get books from Google Books. So far, no luck so I must be doing something wrong.

I've downloaded a couple from Barnes And Noble, but I'd rather not have to deal with the username/pw thing if I don't have to.

So, where do you get your books?
LordFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
I personally use both nook books(B&N), and google, if you need instructions for the google ones I wrote out some nice ones for another forum member, I can post them up if you want....
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi LordFluffy! Welcome to MobileRead!

You can get books anywhere that has Adobe epub or pdf titles. There are many sources listed in the MobileRead Wiki at the very top of the page.

One really good source is public libraries, most of which now carry ebooks you can download either to your computer, using Adobe Digital Editions, then to your PE using the USB cable, or directly to your eDGe into Overdrive Media Console.

I buy books from Booksonboard.com, kobo.com, the Sony ebookstore (download to their software on my computer), and Amazon.com. The Amazon books are readable in the Kindle Reader on the LCD side only (they are in a proprietary format).

You can use a program called Calibre (do you know it?) on your computer to turn all kinds of documents into epub or pdf which you can then send to your PE through the USB cable or over a LAN.

Most of the ebookstores have some free books, and there is a large collection of free books here on MobileRead. Take a look under E-Books at the top of this page.

I hope you will find many good books to read on your new PE!

P.S. If you need clarification, please ask! I love reading on my PE and especially on my EE!

Last edited by Filark; 07-08-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Turtlehead
Enthusiast
Turtlehead began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Hi LordFluffy! Welcome to MobileRead!

One really good source is public libraries, most of which now carry ebooks you can download either to your computer, using Adobe Digital Editions, then to your PE using the USB cable, or directly to your eDGe into Overdrive Media Console.

IP.S. If you need clarification, please ask! I love reading on my PE and especially on my EE!
I tried to download Overrdrive Media Console into my PE but after checking "I Agree" it said starting download but message said "download unsuccesful".

If you want to transfer an application like this by USB to your internal storage SD, what folder do you put it in and how do you run it? Where does it show up to start it. "They don't call me turttlehead for nothing
Turtlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Exclamation Calibre

Calibre right here at Mobileread; Kovid Goyal - Mastermind

Calibre About website.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
I tried to download Overrdrive Media Console into my PE but after checking "I Agree" it said starting download but message said "download unsuccesful".

If you want to transfer an application like this by USB to your internal storage SD, what folder do you put it in and how do you run it? Where does it show up to start it. "They don't call me turttlehead for nothing
Hi Turtlehead!
(My nephew and niece used to call me Aunt Tortoise, so we're somewhat related. )

You can transfer files into any folder. I use the downloads folder for anything new to my eDGe. Then after you have unmounted from USB find the downloads folder in ES File Explorer and tap the app to start the installation process.

However, I don't know whether that will cure your "download unsuccessful" problem. If it doesn't, I suggest you search this forum for "Overdrive." I know other people have had problems with it -- maybe only certain versions work?? I don't remember right now, but if you continue to have problems with it we will find a solution.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Turtlehead
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi Turtlehead!
(My nephew and niece used to call me Aunt Tortoise, so we're somewhat related. )

You can transfer files into any folder. I use the downloads folder for anything new to my eDGe. Then after you have unmounted from USB find the downloads folder in ES File Explorer and tap the app to start the installation process.

However, I don't know whether that will cure your "download unsuccessful" problem. If it doesn't, I suggest you search this forum for "Overdrive." I know other people have had problems with it -- maybe only certain versions work?? I don't remember right now, but if you continue to have problems with it we will find a solution.
Thanks Filark, I am being very careful, don't want to mess it up.

btw, are you a birder?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFluffy View Post
I've downloaded a couple from Barnes And Noble, but I'd rather not have to deal with the username/pw thing if I don't have to.

So, where do you get your books?
I personally like Barnes and Noble because I can read anything I buy on the e-ink side. It really is simple and I know it works. Books can be found opening Library App from Home Screen, select Storage (top left pull down), then sdcard/Nook/Content/ Press and hold downloaded book and Add to Library. Use First and Last Name as it appears on the credit card used to purchase the book for Username and Credit Card # for Password.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlehead View Post
Go to the Overdrive website using a PC, download the App, and copy to the PE and install. I download the majority of my Apps via PC and transfer wireless to the PE or EE. Plus, this way I have a back up of all Apps I have downloaded in case I ever need to re-install them.

http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
Filark

Turtlehead, I am a moderate birder -- meaning I like to look, have binoculars and books, but rarely go beyond my own backyard!

I do want the Audubon app that Amazon lists -- I wonder if it works on the PE/EE??

Saw a hawk take down a dove the other day (in our backyard), but the hawk couldn't carry it and the dove got away.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
Turtlehead
Enthusiast

Quote:
Turtlehead, I am a moderate birder -- meaning I like to look, have binoculars and books, but rarely go beyond my own backyard!

I do want the Audubon app that Amazon lists -- I wonder if it works on the PE/EE??

Saw a hawk take down a dove the other day (in our backyard), but the hawk couldn't carry it and the dove got away.
Lucky, lucky dove!

Your name Filark brought back memories, we called Meadowlarks "Felarks" back in Alabama when I was a kid.

I have been a hawkwatcher for about 15 years, have a website at "virginia area hawk watch sites." I also dabble in small birds mainly in my back yard too.

An app showing and identifying birds would be a great addition to the PE/EE .
Old 07-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
LordFluffy
LordFluffy began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook
Thanks for the suggestions.

And emusan, I would appreciate the instructions for how to get Google books. Reprinting or a link to the original post would be awesome.
LordFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Here it is, it's extremely detailed, so hopefully you wont run into any problems, if you do just ask! (Also, I'm not sure that all google books can be downloaded, but I think most can):

On PC:

1. Buy the book from google books and download it to your computer

2. Open Adobe Digital Editions on your PC

3. Open the downloaded file(should end in .acsm) in Adobe Digital Editions(to do this you can Drag and Drop the file into Adobe Digital Editions)

4. You should see the cover of the book in Adobe Digital Editions(as well as the title and author, etc.)

5. Plug your Pocket eDGe into your computer with the USB cable

On eDGe:

6. Drag down the top bar on your eDGe and tap on the notification that says something along the lines of "USB connected Select to copy files to/from your computer."

7. Tap "Turn on USB storage

Back on PC:

8. You should see the edge icon in the left hand panel of Adobe Digital Editions now(if not you want to click on the icon with the little books on it to go to library view)

9. Drag and drop your book to the edge icon

Back on eDGe:

10. Tap on "Turn off USB storage then disconnect your cable

11. Go to your apps(drag up the thing with the eDGe logo), and open the app ES File Explore

12. Tap on the Digital Editions folder

13. Tap on the book you just bought

14. In the open with window tap on library, then tap on add content to library

15. open up the library app and you should see it there!
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
There is also Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page and, if you are into SF, Baen Free Library http://www.baen.com/library/ both have epub books available.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
There is also Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page and, if you are into SF, Baen Free Library http://www.baen.com/library/ both have epub books available.
And FYI for the fearful, I haven't used Baen yet, but gutenberg is super easy. Find book. Click. Pick which version. Click. Downloads to PE, open downloaded file, add to library and/or open!
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote