Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Is it my imagination or are the fonts in a greyscale instead of a black?

Looking at the chapter headings it is black.. and the upgrade progress bar was also black as well.. but everything else including fonts (whether bolded or otherwise) tend to be a lower contrast dark grey compared to black.

Is this a software thing? I'd like for it to not use greyscale shading for text if that's what is happening..

To give an example, go to the "about" screen of your device.

Where it says "All rights reserved", that's black. So is the top of the coffee cup. But everything else is a lighter grey.. which reminds me a lot of what it looks like when you try to print coloured text on a black and white laser printer..
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Looking at the chapter headings it is black.. and the upgrade progress bar was also black as well.. but everything else including fonts (whether bolded or otherwise) tend to be a lower contrast dark grey compared to black.

Is this a software thing? I'd like for it to not use greyscale shading for text if that's what is happening..

To give an example, go to the "about" screen of your device.

Where it says "All rights reserved", that's black. So is the top of the coffee cup. But everything else is a lighter grey.. which reminds me a lot of what it looks like when you try to print coloured text on a black and white laser printer..

This is one of the reasons why we simply MUST have control over what fonts are used, especially when reading. When reading ePub books, the default is a light grey font (Times Roman I think) and you can't change it. It's a shockingly hard font to read for any length of time.

In mobi books you can change it to IBOOKN which is a black font.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Why are epubs so popular then? DRM? So useless. epubs will kill ebooks then.

Is it for sure a font thing? The device has 8 levels of grey.

DroidSansBold free Android font from Google seems decent http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=pla...0005252;sf=tgz
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Sometimes the text might be deliberately grey, but the usual reason for this is anti-aliasing (using greyscales to smooth the edges of glyphs). This is often worse for serif fonts than san serif, and heavier fonts are usually better too.

If you are running (or creating) ePubs through Calibre try switching the font to san-serif (via --extra-css):
Code:
body {
  font-family: sans-serif;
}
You can also add your own fonts for ePub, providing is it DRM-free and so modifiable via Calibre, see Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!

EDIT: see New Firmware Upgrade coming Friday-Monday for a short discussion of anti-aliasing.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-03-2009 at 12:20 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
So. As I've not yet used my PP as I'm stil waiting for it's delivery.

When you view an ePub document, you cannot specify which font you view it with from the PP itself on the fly? Only the zoom level?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Question Question on Epub fonts for PP

Walcraft, you probably know this.

I would like to have my basic ebook file with a larger font than most people, thus I would be able to enlarge it better with the PP selections. But I seem to remember somewhere that no matter what your base font is in epubs, the PP will show it the same.

I did try to reconfigure with Calibre once with base font of 14 and then 20, but it always showed the same on the PP.

Is this a function of the epub generator for the PP, or am I doing something wrong, or ??????

Thanks,
AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I would like to have my basic ebook file with a larger font than most people, thus I would be able to enlarge it better with the PP selections.
I remember seeing a post from someone who was able to do this using Calibre, but I can't find it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Sometimes the text might be deliberately grey, but the usual reason for this is anti-aliasing (using greyscales to smooth the edges of glyphs). This is often worse for serif fonts than san serif, and heavier fonts are usually better too.
This text is grey right through, not just the futzing round the edged due to anti-aliasing.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote