Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
starbase135
starbase135 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Buy PRS-700

Hello,

I live in Germany and wanted to order a PRS-700 in the USA. I decided to get it from B&H Photo Video, but all of the sudden their online store site says that it has been discontinued. Then I went over to Adorama and they also wrote on their website that the PRS-700 was no longer available.

Anybody know anything about what's going on?

Those 2 are the only retailers shipping internationally and accepting international credit cards...
starbase135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Hello Starbase and welcome to MobileRead!!

I see that at the Sony Style site they are still listed as in stock and shipping so I doubt it is discontinued by Sony. It is likely just no longer being carried by those stores. I checked some local electronics stores web pages and they all show as in stock and shipping as well.

I'll do some more digging and see what I can find.

Mean while browse around and again Welcome!
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Hey Starbase, it would seem that the PRS-700 is not discontinued as of yet. It could be that both of those stores are awaiting a new units release or were not making money off of them.

Check out the News Forum here for more information.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
HelenOster
Adorama Camera
HelenOster began at the beginning.

Device: none
Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase135 View Post
Hello,

I live in Germany and wanted to order a PRS-700 in the USA. I decided to get it from B&H Photo Video, but all of the sudden their online store site says that it has been discontinued. Then I went over to Adorama and they also wrote on their website that the PRS-700 was no longer available.

Anybody know anything about what's going on?

Those 2 are the only retailers shipping internationally and accepting international credit cards...
According to our purchasing department, Sony has officially discontinued this item; we actually have an open order with Sony on them but they are not shipping it.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com
HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
What a welcome participation this is, Helen. Thank you for stepping forward and letting us know what's happening. Any word on why Sony has officially discontinued them? Is a new and improved model coming out or are they abandoning the 700 in favor of the 505?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
According to our purchasing department, Sony has officially discontinued this item; we actually have an open order with Sony on them but they are not shipping it.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com
Wow, holy crap! Thanks for the info, but now we're going to be all a-twitter!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
The 700 was priced too high in my opinion , because if it's between the kindle 2 and the sony 700 , same price, ... kindle 2 will WIN, because of whispernet and clearer screen, and all the other goodies. The prs-505 is selling because the price has dropped and it's 100 dollars less then kindle 2 and has same clear screen.
It would be nice if sony did have bigger model that could even be bigger then Kindle DX that displays pdf's the way they should LOOK! And 100 dollars cheaper then DX!
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Of course they discontinued it - they (Sony)were just waiting for me to buy one - two months ago.
Actually I bought mine from B&H; I buy all my electronics from them.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
warriorscot
Enthusiast
warriorscot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Got mines via an ebay based store/seller in NY.

Probably crossed wires when they placed the order sony probably told them that the manufacturing run had stopped or they were no longer distributing them. This could be either because Sony are retooling the line the devices were made on or they are stock piling them for release in a different market and are so restricting the supply to the old market.

It seems more likely that they are planning a Euro or Asia release soon so are stocking up rather than abandoning a relatively new product which at most they would only update not discontinue at least without a replacement device ready.
warriorscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
starbase135
starbase135 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Now Datavis is also listing the PRS-700 as discontinued. Additionally, it's apparently out of stock at MacMall as well.

Something is going on. But I don't think that Sony is discontinuing the PRS-700 or is getting out of the ebook business either.
starbase135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
I hope this means they are about to come out with a PRS-700a that has WiFi and restores the screen image to 505 brightness while retaining the touchscreen and side-light. And I want world peace, and...
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I hope this means they are about to come out with a PRS-700a that has WiFi and restores the screen image to 505 brightness while retaining the touchscreen and side-light. And I want world peace, and...
and folder-type organization.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I was just at the Sony Style store in Manhattan on Wednesday,when I asked if it was being discontinued,the salesperson looked at me perplexed....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I just got the 700 from Crutchfield last week but if you go on their site now, it'll say "Discontinued" so I think it's being phased out.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
a dictionary! What do we have to do to get a dictionary?!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote