Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
impatientman
impatientman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Is the serial port jailbreak worthwhile now?

I have experience with Xbox RGH before so soldering the wires and doing the JB shouldn't be a problem for me. But I'd like to know if is it worthwhile to do it now or I should wait for the proper jailbreak release?
impatientman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I'd wait.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
xiaoguixp
xiaoguixp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Also waiting here... But who knows whether the software jailbreak will be released at all...
xiaoguixp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoguixp View Post
Also waiting here... But who knows whether the software jailbreak will be released at all...
Only the author of it. And he's not in a position to say.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Now this is an interesting statement.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Now this is an interesting statement.
Which statement?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

BD said originally that he "will not distribute it until then unless Amazon indicates they don't care or are taking an abnormally long time to fix it".

Saying now that BD is not in the position to say when he will distribute the jb is indeed an interesting statement.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And attributed with far more knowledge than it actually has. The author nearly released. Amazon asked him to wait about a minute before release so they could patch the near-imaginary security dangers. I can't think why the author wouldn't release by xmas. Unless Amazon has threatened some kind of legal action, and they never have before.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reason would be self-evident if you stopped to think about it for a while.

Amazon would almost certainly not wish it to be released until they roll out a new firmware version that patches the security flaw that BD identified. It takes many, many weeks to complete a firmware rollout (OTA firmware updates are spread out across a long time period), and nobody - not one person - has reported any sight of a post 5.6.5 firmware version. Therefore we can reasonably conclude that the JB is extremely unlikely to be released any time soon, and almost certainly not before Christmas.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
And attributed with far more knowledge than it actually has. The author nearly released. Amazon asked him to wait about a minute before release so they could patch the near-imaginary security dangers. I can't think why the author wouldn't release by xmas. Unless Amazon has threatened some kind of legal action, and they never have before.
I am sure BD would be amenable to releasing it once a fixed firmware starts rolling out.

But it has already been made clear, repeatedly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
1. Releasing 0days with no vendor notification isn't a very professional thing to do and I don't really share the "us vs them" mentality the Apple jailbreak scene has. They have their reasons.
The fact that you still seem to think it is perfectly reasonable to do so anyway, makes me think you are just trying to stir up trouble.

BD gave Amazon another chance, after the communications confusion he originally had.

It is now up to him to work with them, expect a resolution in a reasonable timeframe (0day disclosures often take 90+ days), and finally release the jailbreak.
I am sure he won't keep it forever.
90 days from his renewed communications will end on January 31 -- and if it isn't released until then, I will not be shocked, and I will still consider BD to have been acting with "responsible disclosure".
We're halfway there. Until then, no throwing stones, please.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
hfpop
Addict

OK. I do understand Amazon reasoning. This was to be expected. BD run his original email under a different assumption. That he evaluates a timely response and if not timely, he distributes the thing.

Amazon wish is admirable, but is only a wish, right? Or otherwise someone please enlighten me on the true nature of the relationship between Amazon and this forum.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason would be self-evident if you stopped to think about it for a while.

Amazon would almost certainly not wish it to be released until they roll out a new firmware version that patches the security flaw that BD identified. It takes many, many weeks to complete a firmware rollout (OTA firmware updates are spread out across a long time period), and nobody - not one person - has reported any sight of a post 5.6.5 firmware version. Therefore we can reasonably conclude that the JB is extremely unlikely to be released any time soon, and almost certainly not before Christmas.
I wasn't in on any of the testing, but I was a party to some of the conversations, and ....

I know BD looked into just what was involved in fixing the flaw he had leveraged with his jail break code.

And the last I had heard on that was: "Very difficult to fix, had better leave it to Amazon with the resources needed".

That is, whatever it is, it isn't a simple typo or build system configuration error that could be fixed 'over night'.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
hfpop
Addict

Oh, God. I could write a dissertation over this and then retire and go relax at the countryside, well ahead of schedule. I do welcome the new kid, Amazon, in the world of the grown-ups. They just found out that the world is round and that there is no such thing as a perfect OS.

Let me remember (i.e. as in recollect for my own sake, and not remind someone out there, because I do not dare to do so) what I have seen and learned from this forum.

I am not sure how much is seen from my own profile. I come from a country that still confuses volunteering with forced labor in the benefit of a long dead unique party. What I have found on this forum is indeed a privilege. People contributing their knowledge and free time to share their software products to the open world. People spending their free time to teach newcomers how to read this forum. None of you actually said to anyone "go do your homework and return here afterwards".

You guys played by all rules of safe programming. ALL your efforts were received by Amazon with a door slapped in your face. All sorts of good ideas simply blocked down. You are people of honour, playing by a code of honour. And these guys from Amazon still do not get it.

While you try to fix THEIR problem, did they volunteer to reopen one of the passive doors they closed in the past? As a sign of good-will to YOU, if not to this community? You suggested a very nice scheme for Amazon to sign install packages to run individually on our systems. I know they read this forum. They ignored this idea as well.

Come on...

PS: I do apologize for this very long message.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I wasn't in on any of the testing, but I was a party to some of the conversations, and ....

I know BD looked into just what was involved in fixing the flaw he had leveraged with his jail break code.

And the last I had heard on that was: "Very difficult to fix, had better leave it to Amazon with the resources needed".

That is, whatever it is, it isn't a simple typo or build system configuration error that could be fixed 'over night'.
No jail-break for you! One year!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #15
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
solder it. mildly fun, not going to destroy resale value too much.

after I jailbroke the kindle, I got SSH going then realized I didn't actually need to change anything. I now just read books on it.

try it sometime, the kindle does a really good job with ebooks.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote