Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #91
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Be careful with 2.4.0 is you're using .kepub.epub. There's no option for them, only a big button with the label "PURCHASE" and they don't appear at the carousel nor as sleepcover.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #92
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is Avenir italics working?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #93
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
Does anyone know if Calibre's series plugboard thingy still works with 2.4.0 as it did with previous versions? I'm still on 2.3.2 and loving that ability.
It does
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #94
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Be careful with 2.4.0 is you're using .kepub.epub. There's no option for them, only a big button with the label "PURCHASE" and they don't appear at the carousel nor as sleepcover.
I have several kepub.epub books on my Touch, but none of them shows "purchase" in library view, the "three stripes" with the options View Details, Mark as Finished etc are there, as usual. The books appear on the home screen, I can't check the sleepcover as I have an ad-supported Touch.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #95
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Thanks for the updates Sameer. Just a little suggestion or request: it would be nice to see a little more detail given in the change logs for new FWs. It's clear that more has gone on than just the two bullet points for 2.4.0, but we only know by the community testing to see how previous bugs fare. It would be nice to see a small bullet point letting us know:
  • Fixed: Font size changing at new chapters on some devices.
  • Fixed: eBooks with custom margin settings return to the correct page when re-opening them.

I know that for some users it's more information than they need, but for those users, they're never going to read past the first couple lines (if at all) anyways. It would certainly be helpful to some of us and also allow us to continue to refine our bug reports.

Anyways, all that to say that 2.4.0 is certainly working better on my Glo than 2.3.1 did and I hope that you guys can continue to iron out some of the remaining bugs and work towards (relative) parity between ePub vs. kePub features. The Glo is the best e-reader I've used and I can't wait to see some of the niggling issues fixed.
I'm very glad to see you are happy with your Glo. I'm going to look into adding major fixes to the release notes. We've done this a couple of times in the past. A full change log would be difficult however, maybe we can meet in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
I am very happy to see a new firmware with loads of bug fixes. Thank you for all the hard work Kobo!

I am disappointed though, to see that changes to the series info reading. It does feel like a bit of a feature removal. I was happy when it was talked about in depth on this forum, as it meant I no longer had to use a plugboard for series in Calibre. Removing the ability to sort by series feels like the removal of a good feature, that set my Glo apart a bit. I really hope that Kobo consider changing it back, or as has been discussed here, giving us a series sort from the main menu that would take care of the issue. This wouldn't make the menu too crowded, and would be a lovely extra.

Unless I want to remove and reinput my entire library again -- something I had to do recently to remove the plugboard info to utilise the series feature -- I think I will stay on 2.3.2. Please Kobo -- some of us really loved this feature!
Hmm.. I can see how that would have made your experience a little more difficult. I've relayed your feedback to our User Experience team and we will consider it for the next release. Thanks!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #96
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Bug: Bold still showing instead of Italics on some fonts, both system and side-loaded. Affected system fonts: Avenir, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel, Ryumin (italicised but also bold). Affected side-loaded fonts: Droid Serif, Lexia DaMa, Liberation Mono/Sans/Serif, Times New Roman.

Sameer: Are you able to acknowledge whether there is a recognised power issue with some Kobo Touch/Glo models at all please? And if so whether release 2.4.0 addresses it in any way? Ordinarily I would thoroughly test to see if has fixed a problem many of us are experiencing but if there are no known power faults then I'd just RMA it as defective.

Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-16-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: version error
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #97
Simba51
Simba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo & Kobo Mini
Why sorts of series no longer exists in this version 2.4.0? Major bugs in the previous version have been fixed (what a relief to find that her KOBO react properly and I take pleasure in my KOBO reused Glo today), but others appear as they do not exitait before. I may have missed something so that it sorts by series does do more.
In the needs of future versions, a display of the date of publication of books with an option to sort by publication date and waning would also be welcome. More to sort out the latest books that we have in the ebook.
And the carousel reception, left only the books being read and not the last sideloader or purchased. Please it is more than logical to use either way. This last remark and ask by all for many months, and developers KOBO could perhaps consider how readers use Kobo reading.
Simba51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #98
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Removing the ability to sort by series feels like the removal of a good feature, that set my Glo apart a bit. I really hope that Kobo consider changing it back, or as has been discussed here, giving us a series sort from the main menu that would take care of the issue. This wouldn't make the menu too crowded, and would be a lovely extra.
I really don't understand why Kobo did that . I got used to see all the books in a series grouped together, and now I miss it. If you have more than 20 books on your Kobo, finding the books in a series is not fun. But having a series sort by series in the main menu it would be even better. Please Kobo, give us a series sort!
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #99
Charles_Waldorf
Charles_Waldorf began at the beginning.

Thanks

I have installed the version 2.4.0, in Germany. The first impression is good. It runs solidly and coarsest bugs from 2.3.1 are probably repaired. I will further observe it.

The best greetings from Germany

Charles_Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #100
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_bear View Post
I really don't understand why Kobo did that . I got used to see all the books in a series grouped together, and now I miss it. If you have more than 20 books on your Kobo, finding the books in a series is not fun. But having a series sort by series in the main menu it would be even better. Please Kobo, give us a series sort!
Trust me this was raised to zero feedback from Kobo in the beta.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #101
jclim00
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Bug: Bold still showing instead of Italics on some fonts, both system and side-loaded. Affected system fonts: Avenir, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel, Ryumin (italicised but also bold). Affected side-loaded fonts: Droid Serif, Lexia DaMa, Liberation Mono/Sans/Serif, Times New Roman.
AFAIK for sideloaded fonts at least, the issue is that the font family in the tff file itself is different for the different weights. If they aren't all the same family, even if the naming scheme is correct, it will not display properly. You can change it if you have a font editing program like Fontforge.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #102
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
AFAIK for sideloaded fonts at least, the issue is that the font family in the tff file itself is different for the different weights. If they aren't all the same family, even if the naming scheme is correct, it will not display properly. You can change it if you have a font editing program like Fontforge.
That might be the case if they weren't working as they should in previous firmware revisions. Something changed after v.2.1.5 that "broke" them. And besides there's no excuse for breaking fonts that come supplied with the device.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #103
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
This is not very obvious, but at the bottom of the book list in the library see if there is a wrench icon at right hand side. Under that there is an option to show "all books" or "On e-reader". Selecting "on e-reader" will hide the archived books (at least that's what was in the beta, so I'm assuming they kept it that way in the release).
Hmm, I can't seem to find the wrench icon. Just to be clear, this is in the Kobo Desktop, on the Library tab, with the Books option selected, at the bottom right of the window? Nope, nothing there! Yes I'm running 3.2.0 of the Kobo Desktop.

Attached image shows what I see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	101397  
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #104
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Ooops!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #105
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Trust me this was raised to zero feedback from Kobo in the beta.
Does this mean that the change in the series handling generated no feedback from the beta testers?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote