Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #31
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If the book has the chapter designations formatted (or whatever you call it), you can tap on the chapter number and it brings up a list of the chapters for you to choose from. Of course that only works when you're at the beginning of a chapter; not sure it's any better than using Go To....
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #32
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I love my PW but my annoyances would be:

No chapter swipes.

And the complete removal of google search.
I'm pretty sure it was missing on the Touch but was added later, you could select a word or a phrase and then search Google.

No longer with the PW, it's Wikipedia or nothing.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #33
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Personally, I'm glad there are no chapter swipes. Navigating through the Go To drpdown is fine by me. Besides which, it's nice to know that the only accidental swipes i'm gong to effect are single page turns.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #34
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I feel the same about chapter swipes, ElMiko. It's a feature I personally won't miss because I like to swipe the screen to clear a speck of dust sometimes and it's nice to be able to do that without having it forward a chapter like on my touch. I can understand some people being upset it's gone though. It's a shame they don't give you the option to turn it on or off.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #35
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It's a feature I personally won't miss because I like to swipe the screen to clear a speck of dust sometimes and it's nice to be able to do that without having it forward a chapter like on my touch.
YES! +1 on that point. I also agree that it would be nice if amazon allowed for greater flexibility... unfortunately it looks like they're taking a page from the Apple book: it's their way or the highway. For my part, I'm still irked that you can't specify search fields. Or that you can't decide for yourself which progress data shows in the lower lefthand corner (i would definitely swap out the Location # for a Page #, either "real" or in terms of screens).
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #36
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would like chapter swipe back. It is kind of baffling that they removed it (even though it didn't work with all books).

With KPW you can wipe stuff off the screen without doing anything if you use a soft cloth (like one used to clean eyeglasses), because capacitative touch doesn't respond to most materials.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #37
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Also, not all books have chapters...
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
Also, not all books have chapters...
All mine do. Chapter Navigation is something I add to all books. I miss it on the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #39
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
All mine do. Chapter Navigation is something I add to all books. I miss it on the Fire.
Perhaps all your books do but the fact remains that not all books contain chapters.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #40
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I raised the issue in the Kindle Help Forum about the lack of ability to jump from chapter to chapter via a swipe, as we had on the Kindle Touch, and was told it was discontinued because they had so many complaints about it from smart phone users who used a similar swipe to turn pages. I did suggest that they give us an alternative way of maneuvering through a book, and got a response back that my suggestion had been submitted to their engineers, but who knows if anything will come of that.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #41
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
With KPW you can wipe stuff off the screen without doing anything if you use a soft cloth (like one used to clean eyeglasses), because capacitative touch doesn't respond to most materials.
Oh good point! I hadn't thought of that.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Interestingly Kindle subscriptions still respond to swipe up/down. I checked the PW user's guide, and it makes no mention of chapter navigation via swipe up/down (Kindle Touch user's manual does). This seems like another case of Amazon deciding that because a feature doesn't work with every book, they need to remove it altogether lest they get support calls about it not working. Just like justification toggle. Sigh.

PDF seems pretty broken. They open fine but after a few pages (or seconds?), I get a 'Low memory' error, and after dismissing the error, PDF closes and you're back to Home screen. It doesn't seem to matter much how big the PDF is. I have 1GB free storage. I think I was able to view one without it doing this but now they all seem to do it.

Update: I did a Restart, and can read PDFs again. So it seems there are some memory leaks in the firmware. I think this is the first Restart I've done since getting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_10_08T09_47_38-0700.png
Views:	149
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	93665  

Last edited by tomsem; 10-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #43
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'm finding two things annoying at the moment.

I'm getting a bit of an 'under glass' effect when reading in certain lighting (especially at work) where I can tell that I'm looking through a layer or two on top of the eInk. Sometimes I'm more sensitive to it than others, but I find myself getting distracted by it while reading sometimes.

Another thing I can't seem to get used to so far are the fonts on the PW. The sizes are 'off' when compared to my Touch and K3 where I had settled into a perfect size and the PW is either too small or too large and I can't seem to settle in when combined with line spacing that's a bit different too. I'm sure I could get used to a new 'perfect setting' given some time, just not sure I want to. I wish we weren't limited to specific sizes instead of a slider for font size on these devices.

The light isn't as big a deal for me as it is for some so I'm not sure, I might just go back to my Touch or K3 and save my $140 for another day.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
The touch screen change is a step back (infrared at least didn't pick up so many fingerprints).
My PW screen doesn't show fingerprints. Now the bezel on the other hand...
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #45
Heifzilla
Kinzilla
Heifzilla began at the beginning.

Device: KK Wifi/PW Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Another thing I can't seem to get used to so far are the fonts on the PW. The sizes are 'off' when compared to my Touch and K3 where I had settled into a perfect size and the PW is either too small or too large and I can't seem to settle in when combined with line spacing that's a bit different too. I'm sure I could get used to a new 'perfect setting' given some time, just not sure I want to. I wish we weren't limited to specific sizes instead of a slider for font size on these devices.
This is a minor annoyance for me as well.
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote