Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
lance_
lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FoxIt eSlick
Canadian visiting the US. Buy US kindle or international kindle?

I'm strongly considering the Kindle DX for the larger screen, but I also am curious about the refresh time on the Kindle 3. I don't think the DX has the new pearl epaper yet, so as a stopgap I want to get a kindle 3.

Should I buy the international 3G version, or the US 3G version? I hear that the US one works fine in Canada, and doesn't require hacks to get the web browser working.

Any advice appreciated!
lance_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There's only the one version now, so it doesn't matter.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yep, all current Kindles are global.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Also, if you get it in the U.S., you'll get the wall charger. Order it from Canada, and you won't. Not sure about the in-store version in Canada, except that you pay more for the same device.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
sil
sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
You might only get the American dictionary if you get a "US" version. International it might also come with an Oxford English dictionary as well. No idea about what options you have buying in store, I ordered mine from the US a couple of weeks ago to Australia, arrived in 4 days and it had both dictionaries installed. No idea what flavour of English Canadians use along with their French (maybe Kindles to Canada contain a French dictionary as well?).

Last edited by sil; 06-16-2011 at 12:17 AM.
sil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I'm in Canada. I ordered my Kindle wifi via Amazon.com in January, and my Kindle 3G a little over a month ago.

Both came with the same two dictionaries: the Oxford Dictionary of English, and the New Oxford American Dictionary.

No French dictionary, tant pis :-D
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
lance_
lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FoxIt eSlick
Thanks guys!

I wound up ordering the Kindle to my hotel room in the US to take advantage of the free two-day shipping and the $100 Audible coupon. It's already arrived at the hotel, I can't wait to pick it up!
lance_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Very clever and slippery of you! Canadians!
Enjoy it!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote