Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The original linked site is legit, that other URL is something else entirely.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
dullmoment
dullmoment began at the beginning.

Device: NA
do you mean the application site?

The link on the sony site goes to https://app.firstusa.com/blah....

It is encrypted with SSL. The certification for app.firstusa.com is assigned to JPMorgan Chase. It is issued by VeriSign, Inc. They are one of the main issuers of certifications. It is not impossible to fake SSL certifications but to my understanding you have to hack my box to place the fake Certification Authority (VeriSign) cert to make it work.

I would trust this deal. They just want to get people in more debt haha.

this is just my 2 cents.
dullmoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullmoment View Post
I meant the link that Nate the great referenced:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
www.sonycard.com
That one does look "phishey."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
dullmoment
dullmoment began at the beginning.

Device: NA
Oh yeah www.sonycard.com is a phishing/fake search portal site. joy.
dullmoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
Zach
Zach is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
How did you find out about this offer?
From here.

Over the last few months I have been keeping my eye open for a good price on a reader. Dealspl.us is a fairly well known, community driven, collector of deals. I suppose it's possible for someone to post a fake, but it had been up there for a few days when I saw it and it looked legitimate (still does to me).
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #21
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Well.. I did a lot more hollering on the phone... And its weird. After I filled out the online app at this site here... http://www.sonycard.sony.com/sonygat...erlink=iklipze

I called chase and they indeed did get my wifes application. And are going to issue a card to her monday or tuesday. At that point I can use her card to but a reader at regular price. After 8 weeks, Chase will credit her account 299 bucks. So.. It seems it IS legit.

I think im gonna do it.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #22
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've shunned this device for awhile. I just felt the price tag was astronomical for an ebook reader. However, at $50 I definitely want to give it a shot. I signed up for the card, but go the notice that I would find out in 30 days. Not sure if that is the kiss of death, but I'll wait and see.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #23
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Woot! Time to jump into the wonderful world of Eink; hopefully my wife or I can get in on the action. I've been waiting for the Baen ebook reader to develop but I just can't pass on this opportunity.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 AM   #24
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Funny thing about this... I had jsut ordered a Reader, so I wasn't interested in the offer.. even for $50.

I got to thinking that it might be nice to have a spare, though. So I went to the site and looked around. The page is just a little off-looking to me. Sort of like one of those pop-up pages that grandma warned me about.

I didn't bite on the deal, but I did click around it alot. Exactly 12 hours after visiting the site, my virus and spy-ware software notified me that they had detected and defeated some manner of mal-ware. First time I had ever seen such as that from either program.

Just to consider. Perhaps someone more savey in the "internet dark-arts" could have a look at it.
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Melby.. Quit trying to scare me......

Cuz its working...

Anyone else do this yet?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #26
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Yep

I applied. Haven't heard anything other than the initial e-mail. I have read on other forums that a few days after applying, you will receive an e-mail from Sony as well about ordering the reader. Apparently this offer has been available as early as late June.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #27
irishjew
Enthusiast
irishjew doesn't litteririshjew doesn't litter

Hi Roy,

What number did you call to get Chase? I applied for the card and want an update as to whether or not I got the card, and how it works once I actually get the card. Do you just order from the Sony Style website?
irishjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #28
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I applied for the card/offer as well (after consulting with a chap at Sony Rewards, and my wife). Seems that after the card is issued, one logs in to sonycards/ Sony rewards, and there is a pulldown "Redeem" button. Add the Reader to your account, and the price is automatically adjusted.
No annual fee, no obligatory spending.

Glad that I logged into Mobile Read today instead of blindly heading to Border's. ;-

I just hope that I am notified by E-mail; I don't live at home, and my wife is in Boston for the month.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 07-08-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: forgot the "e" in "e-mail"
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:27 AM   #29
Roy White
Evangelist

I got the number I called by clicking on the 'terms' icon on the offer site. The sony website came up and so i called the number there. They put me through to Chase...

I did get an enailk from Chase... At least it says its from Chase bank... I did have to put my wifes social security number...

Hmmm.. I sound like an idiot..

However.. It was the Exact same process and website as when i applied for when i applied for the sonycard the first time i got my reader...

I'd really like to know who found out about this offer and how they found the link though...
Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 AM   #30
irishjew
Enthusiast
irishjew doesn't litteririshjew doesn't litter

Well, I saw the ad on dealnews.com before I saw it here. If that helps at all.
irishjew is offline   Reply With Quote