Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Just got a Kindle DX - want to do a few things

One of my primary complaints with ALL ereaders to date is the LACK is the simplest means of organizing the material on the unit ESPECIALLY considering the slow speed of the eink displays.

the kindle lets me make collections but not SUB collections. is there a way to do this?

for example I want to make a collection called magazines and then a sub collections for each KIND of magazine underneath that etc..

is there a way that I can put a FOLDER in documents called X and have it auto make a collection of the same name and put everything IN that folder INTO that collection?

any hacks to enable this?

is there anyway to DELETE a file once I am done with it? even my ancient sony lets me do that :-)

also is there a way to SEPARATE add and REMOVE from collection. For example I just added 57 titles and put them in a collection

I went to add 20 more titles for another collection but it STILL showed me the 57 i already added to the first collection so I had to sift through 5 pages to pick out the 20 NEW ones I just added. I was not expecting to see the 57 since i already added them to a collection.

I guess a really need a way to build collections PC side where its faster and easier to select titles etc..

anyway to hack this thing to add a memory card? that would solve all my problems. I could just but my collections on memory cards to separate the content more efficiency.

I don't mind a little hack and slash to add an SD card slot to this thing.

thanks!
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
is there anyway to DELETE a file once I am done with it? even my ancient sony lets me do that :-)
Certainly you can delete a book; just click down to it and then move the button left or right. Moving left gives you one option, 'remove from device'; moving right brings up a list of options, one of which is 'remove from device'. Then it will ask you if you're sure, you click that you are, and there you go.

(Did I understand your question correctly?)
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
nerys
Addict

ahh cool exactly what I wanted. I never even though to try the toggle. I tried hitting menu while selected or opened. :-)

that right menu is ALSO very nice as it lets me add a single title to a collection which is also something I was looking for. (again I tried to logical think hitting menu on a title which got me no where :-)

thanks much!

Holy crap google spiders are efficient little buggers. I was searching google for adding a memory card to the DX (nothing yet) and would you know this thread I just created is already in the google results listings!

Scary impressive :-)

Last edited by nerys; 07-04-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
Well, you could use Dropbox as a place to organize your library in any form you want and access it through your browser to download the book/magazine you want to read - limited just by the size of your Dropbox account.

If you already use calibre to organize your library you can use calibre2opds which builds a nice html interface accessible through your Kindle browser.

If you don't use calibre, there is a script called pyndexer which indexes your library and provides you access through an ordinary html index. This is the thread on how to set this tool up.

Unfortunately the Kindle browser doesn't let you download PDF, MP3 etc. It's clearly done to minimize the 3G data volume. The only files you get to download are .azw, .azw1, .mobi, .prc and .txt.

There is no way to build subfolders on the kindle up to this time. And every time you add files a folder the kindle shows you all files which are not as yet in this folder, regardless of being in another folder already. This allows you to put your books in more than one folder (without having more than one file). So it's actually a virtual system of folders as you can see if you lookup the documents on your Kindle.
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
nerys
Addict

nah these things are 15 to 100+mb each I do not want to abuse the wireless like that. I LOVE the little bit of wiki google gmail access it gives me for 100% free and I don't want to give amazon a reason to kill that access.

I am hoping someone will one day hack the firmware to allow a folder structure and or a physical hack to add an SD card. then I could just put things on difference SD cards and solve my problems all together :-)
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
nerys
Addict

I thought it use similar hardware to the K2? ie it HAS the physical connections for an SD card slot just no sd card slot? would it not be simply soldering an SD slot to the right points on the board and (the hard part) making the software see it?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I would like to know how many DX kindles are out there compared to the DX 2s? Has anyone run a thread/poll on this? Are they 10 to 1 against, or 2 to 1 in favor of the DX 2?
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I thought it use similar hardware to the K2? ie it HAS the physical connections for an SD card slot just no sd card slot? would it not be simply soldering an SD slot to the right points on the board and (the hard part) making the software see it?
from the kindle 1 and nook, it looks like reading or having an SD card slot kills battery life more than the flash memory... no idea why...

if the physical connector for the SD card works, then sure... i heard of someone hacking bluetooth onto their kindle too
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
nerys
Addict

meh so I get 1.5 weeks instead of 2 :-) hehe the convenience would be worth it.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd like to make a suggestion as to the DX you just got. RETURN IT and then order the new DX Graphite with the better screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
You can't make sub-collections, but you can put a book in more than one collection.

So if Book-X is a historical/romance/scifi/thriller, you could add it to each of those collections.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
nerys
Addict

nah the new dx would cost me at least $135 more than I paid for mine ($379 for the DX and $55 for the case)

and I am perfectly happy with the screen on this DX. maybe in a few months I will get a used dx graphite anyway but for now I am enjoying it and its what I could afford. plus I bought it used on CL so no means to return it :-)
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
nah the new dx would cost me at least $135 more than I paid for mine ($379 for the DX and $55 for the case)

and I am perfectly happy with the screen on this DX. maybe in a few months I will get a used dx graphite anyway but for now I am enjoying it and its what I could afford. plus I bought it used on CL so no means to return it :-)
You didn't say you bought the DX used. If it was new, then exchanging it would make sense.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
nerys
Addict

I know thats why I mentioned it :-) hehe if you could read minds I would have something to worry about :-)