Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Ahoy!

I've already made a few posts elsewhere around here, but I thought I'd stop in and say hello.

Hello.

I finally picked up an ereader last week (the 505 at Borders thanks to the coupon) and have been loving it. I've experimented a little with ebooks in the past (trying to read on an old Palm Pilot back in the day, and converting some "found" texts into nicely formatted screen-sized PDFs to read on my old iBook that I held like a giant book [that actually worked fairly well, with the exception of droopy/drippy eyes from staring at the screen for long periods]). Anyhow, I wanted a Kindle but couldn't justify the cost. So at 200 bucks, the 505 won. I'm a techie guy, so I'm actually enjoying how it's a bit more open (Sony?!?) and versatile than the Kindle. I still wouldn't mind having the dictionary and search features though....

Anyhow, one of my interests is type and book design, so I may take it upon myself to try my hand at reworking a few of the Gutenberg texts to add to our own library here. But first I need to familiarize myself a bit more with the formats and tools. And find a few texts I wouldn't mind spending a lot of time with.

Well, that's all I have to say at the moment. Nice to meet all of you!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, abecedary.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and jump in on conversations that interest you.

Also, we're looking forward to seeing books you upload. Check out our wiki for more info on this!

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Abecedary and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a 505 for over a year and a half and really like it.

Last edited by MickeyC; 06-18-2009 at 01:10 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
SNIP SNIP
I'm a techie guy, so I'm actually enjoying how it's a bit more open (Sony?!?) and versatile than the Kindle. I still wouldn't mind having the dictionary and search features though....
SNIP
Welcome to MR, Abecedary!

*Sigh* I wish I were a "techie" as there is so much that can be done with all the hacks, python scribts, etc....

Anyway, you chose the right reader for being able to use a pretty good variety of DRM'd and non-DRM'd formats and for borrowing library books.

What do you like to read? Make sure to check out the Author members on here. They are very generous in sharing their work with us.

Last edited by dreams; 06-19-2009 at 04:07 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
welcome! you've picked an awesome machine, if I do say so myself

I hope you find all you are looking for here at MR.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Hi! Abecedary and welcome to MR.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I've already made a few posts elsewhere around here, but I thought I'd stop in and say hello.

Hello.

I finally picked up an ereader last week (the 505 at Borders thanks to the coupon) and have been loving it. I've experimented a little with ebooks in the past (trying to read on an old Palm Pilot back in the day, and converting some "found" texts into nicely formatted screen-sized PDFs to read on my old iBook that I held like a giant book [that actually worked fairly well, with the exception of droopy/drippy eyes from staring at the screen for long periods]). Anyhow, I wanted a Kindle but couldn't justify the cost. So at 200 bucks, the 505 won. I'm a techie guy, so I'm actually enjoying how it's a bit more open (Sony?!?) and versatile than the Kindle. I still wouldn't mind having the dictionary and search features though....
Many of us Sony owners have been begging for dictionary support! Hopefully, Sony will hear our cries and add it in a future firmware update.

Hey. . .it could happen!

Quote:
Anyhow, one of my interests is type and book design, so I may take it upon myself to try my hand at reworking a few of the Gutenberg texts to add to our own library here. But first I need to familiarize myself a bit more with the formats and tools. And find a few texts I wouldn't mind spending a lot of time with.

Well, that's all I have to say at the moment. Nice to meet all of you!
Your endeavours in that area will be much appreciated, I am certain.

Welcome to MobileRead! Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Thanks to everyone for the welcomes!

As to the question about what I like to read, I'll summarize a few things below:

I'm currently plowing through Neal Stephenson's Anathem (there's no way I'd be halfway through it already if it weren't for the Sony!).

Some of my favorite authors include Italo Calvino (but sadly almost none of his works are available as ebooks), Roald Dahl, Paul Auster, Umberto Eco, Neil Gaiman, Kurt Vonnegut, Iain Banks (not so crazy about the M. stuff I've read though), Simon Winchester, Bill Bryson, and on and on and on.

And my favorite book that I've read in the past six months or so is easily David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas (I have a thing for postmodern narrative structures). Everyone should read this. Absolutely amazing. And it's best to go into it completely cold (don't read any reviews or blurbs or anything--just get it and dive in). And if you don't like the style at first, just keep reading. That's all I'll say.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hello Abecedary, and welcome to Mobile Read!

Let me thank you for the reading suggestion! I'll try to find that book as soon as I can!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote