Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
mattjg01
mattjg01 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Calibre won't recognise Sony reader

Using version 0.4.86 with 32 bit Vista and Calibre does not recognise my PRS 500. If I open Sony Connect Ebook library it recognises the reader but My Computer does not show the reader.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Matt
mattjg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
find the file prs500.inf, right click on it and select install.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
mattjg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
find the file prs500.inf, right click on it and select install.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, when I do that it says the INF file you selected does not support this method of installation.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

try going through the device manager and manually installing the driver
Old 09-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
mattjg01

Quote:
try going through the device manager and manually installing the driver
ok, that worked to install it and it now appears in device manager and Sony Connect Library but not in calibre or My Computer??
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjg01 View Post
ok, that worked to install it and it now appears in device manager and Sony Connect Library but not in calibre or My Computer??
What are you expecting to see in My Computer? You will not see the PRS500 mount there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
mattjg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What are you expecting to see in My Computer? You will not see the PRS500 mount there.

BOb
Surely it should come up as a USB mass storage device?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjg01 View Post
Surely it should come up as a USB mass storage device?
Not the 500... nope, nada, niet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the prs500 will not show up as mass storage device and it wont work in both calibre and the sony software
Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
mattjg01

Quote:
the prs500 will not show up as mass storage device and it wont work in both calibre and the sony software
So if I unistall the sony software it should work in calibre?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you have to uninstall the sony software and then manually install the prs500 driver from calibre
Old 09-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
mattjg01

Quote:
you have to uninstall the sony software and then manually install the prs500 driver from calibre
Tried this but still no luck yet. Device manager is showing the sony reader under LibUSB-Win32 device but nothing in calibre
Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you sure its not also listed under the sony drivers?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #14
mattjg01

Quote:
you sure its not also listed under the sony drivers?
Excellent, spotted the Sony driver under the USB tab in device manager removed and now its all sorted. Many thanks for your help.

Matt
Old 10-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Wait, wait, wait...

I'm having the same problem (won't detect PRS-500), and I understand what you're saying about uninstalling the Sony driver, but...

Does this mean I cannot use the Sony software once I get it working with Calibre? Or is it implied here that the Sony software will work with your driver? Or is there some other way to get both pieces of software to work (at different times) with the same eBook?

I'd hate to have to uninstall and reinstall drivers each time I wanted to update a PDF or a news feed....
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote