Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
scooby
scooby began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle 4 NT - What to do

Hi All, first post, please be nice!

to cut a long story short, I purchased a K4NT with special offers from the US for my mother last month, and the battery is duff. Spoke to Amazon today (best CS ever!) and they are sending a replacement.

However, rather than return the original because its from the US, they are going to Blacklist it. Now, I've found replacement battery for less than £30, so because I'm impressed with the product, I'm happy to purchase and replace it. But what can i regards the blacklisting? should i even bother trying?

Can you still use it offline (i.e. adding books via link to PC and not through Amazon account)?

Thanks,
Scooby
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Welcome
You can use it for your documents and deDRMed books. Since Amazon allowed you to hold, I think there is nothing wrong in that. You can find legal free books to use them on this Kindle, too.

Last edited by thomass; 12-21-2011 at 01:53 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
scooby

Excellent, my main use will come from exactly that, PDF's (uni work!) and deDRM downloaded!

Battery on order now!!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
scooby

D'oh, turns out you cant replace the battery in this one... It's glued in.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I didn't believe that it was glued in, so I did some googling:

Quote:
Battery is Lithium Polymer 890mAh. Don’t even think about replacing it. It is glued in tight and has only soft case around it so if you try to pry it off you risk ripping the cover and setting lithium on fire as it reacts with the oxygen in the air. It also has a custom connector to the motherboard.

Read more: http://blogkindle.com/2011/10/kindle...#ixzz1hDOEyLp9
Yep, no point in trying to replace this battery.

Interestingly, the battery in the Touch version is replaceable.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 12-21-2011 at 06:34 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Then the only way to use this unit is connecting the new one without removing the old one. (by just switching the connection)
this way Kindle may seem a bit ugly but still remains useful at least.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
you should try warming it up a bit, it should soften the glue even if I don't know how eink reacts to heat...
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why do you need to do anything? I thought that Amazon were sending you a replacement?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote