Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Lenovo Android tablets available for preorder!

http://news.lenovo.com/article_displ...rticle_id=1468
Preorder - Ideapad from now and Thinkpad from 2 Aug.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/t...95B3D5E300F333

Thinkpad looks very interesting!
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Too expensive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like the display description:

Quote:
Display
10.1" HD Glare with integrated camera 1280x800
Doesn't that seem like a bad name for a display.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Another entry into a failed market. Maybe this one will work, eh? Curious to see how the Win 7 tablet does, though.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 07-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Too expensive.
Front and rear cameras AGAIN bumping up the price. Why can't they offer a cameraless option?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I can bear with the front cameras but seriously what pictures am I going to take with rear cameras? Maybe all the manufacturers have the same checklist that they must comply with irrespective of whether it adds any real value to the product.
Why do they keep pushing tablets that are no different than their competitors? Not even the cost!
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Front and rear cameras AGAIN bumping up the price. Why can't they offer a cameraless option?
Because they believe that the portions of the market who are

A. Video chatting teenagers
B. Video conferencing business people and/or
C. Sexting lovers

are a significant market group in terms of spending when taken in aggregate.

Last edited by Phogg; 07-20-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Blindness
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

C. Sexting lovers

Dont all those only require a front facing cam?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Front facing still meets the definition of not being cameraless.

I do think rear cameras are unweildy on large tablets.

I would rather see DSLR cameras all have bluetooth so you could set them up and control them with an application. That would be so useful to take wildlife pictures. Also to catch a scene right at dawn on a frosty morning from the warmth of your car.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Fills a hot-topic niche in their catalog. I've been more interested in their X220T Windows tablet PC but it is twice as heavy and expensive.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

C. Sexting lovers

I noticed you have a dell streak, so if I had to guess which of the three you are it would be "C".

As for rear cameras I have mixed feelings, it's nice not having one so I can take it to restricted areas where cameras are not allowed.

However I tend to use my camera on my phone quite often for taking down notes and using evernote.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I noticed you have a dell streak, so if I had to guess which of the three you are it would be "C".

As for rear cameras I have mixed feelings, it's nice not having one so I can take it to restricted areas where cameras are not allowed.

However I tend to use my camera on my phone quite often for taking down notes and using evernote.

=X=
Alas, my camera gets little use. I am a bit past the amorous adventure stage.

I went for the Streak strictly for the wonderful screen size. Reading on the streak is so much better than on my old HTC Wizard, other than no MS Reader for my .lit books.

The rear camera on a phone is useful because the phone is small. A big tablet is another story.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
http://news.lenovo.com/article_displ...rticle_id=1468
Preorder - Ideapad from now and Thinkpad from 2 Aug.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/t...95B3D5E300F333

Thinkpad looks very interesting!

Why The... !!!!! in the title...there are new android tablets coming out every month now...NOT a big deal...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I may buy a tablet when it gets functionalities of a notebook, battery life and weight comparable to the current crop of tablets. Right now I have no problem in using my laptop and reader on couch..!
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I agree. My cell phones for the past 7 years have had a built-in camera and I have yet to take a single picture with it.

The other thing I would like to see them lose (all of the tablet manufacturers) are the automatically installed apps. I'd rather have a list from which I can decide to insatll or delete the app. For example, I would never use a Facebook app so I'd prefer to just delete it without it ever having been installed. The problem with deleting after it has been installed is that these apps always leave junk behind.

Give me all the apps ready to be installed; just let me decide.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote